Where to buy sushi ingredients

39 posts in this topic

Making your own sushi is a lot of fun though. If you prep the ingredients, then a make your own sushi party is an absolute blast.

Some Japanese friends once did this and it was great. Messy at first, but great. And Fisch Witte 'If it swims we kill it' are very good.

Can anybody suggest a place to buy sushi-grade fish? Frozen fish does NOT count as sushi-grade fish, unfortunately cause frozen fish is meant to be cooked. Sushi grade fish is stored at something like -5 degrees or something (but not frozen) for X amount of time to kill off any bacteria that might be looming around.

Thanks!

Just waking this up...

Made sushi last week with salmon from Nordsee in Viktualmarkt.

Tasted fine to me but I bought way too much fish.

I was surprised how little is required. Where would you recommend for fish in small pieces, just enough for two?

Thanks Oliver

I was surprised how little is required. Where would you recommend for fish in small pieces, just enough for two?

small amounts: salmon from Rewe, 250 g at 2,90 Euro or around this. You can also use slices of

raw carrots or cook the slices for a couple of minutes in vinegar in a closed pot. It doesn´t need to

be japanese vinegar, the cheapest will do, green Bottle from Rewe 69 cent is o.k.

I once did Sushi and bought the rice and japanese vinegar and accosseries at the Asia

Shop Herzogstr. Nr 4(?). It is close to Münchner Freiheit U-Bahn Station.

mrwilson got the point: the fish must be sushi-compliant, not frozen but with that treatment at -5 in order to kill bacteria and especially the vicious anisakis.

I wouldn't use fish from rewe and surely not from nordsee.

I normally buy fish for sushi at Poseidon (in viktualienmarkt) or in the shop directly in front of it.

I am planning to prepare some sushi for my colleagues on my Birthday.

May anyone tell me where I can buy the fresh raw Salmon and some Salmon Roe (Ikura) in munich?

Sorry for my poor English : )

[adminmerge][/adminmerge]

ILoveTT - there is another thread already discussing where to buy sushi ingredients in Munich Where to buy sushi ingredients.

There are recommendations for:

Nordsee, Viktualienmarkt

Poseidon, Viktualienmarkt

Karstadt

Kaufhof

Fisch Witte, Viktualienmarkt.

Friend of mine recommended this place to me but I am yet to visit. They supply a number of restaurants etc but also sell to the public. Apparently their prices are also fantastic. Frische Paradise http://www.frischeparadies.de/english/index.php?id=home

UrbanAngel and Jozi, Thank you for your kind reply.

I went to the Frische Paradise and it was a paradise for me---very fresh fish, very kind English speaking people and very good price.

FYI, they have 15% discount every monday and on Mon. Wed. and Fri, the Salmon are so nice for eating raw.

Hi,

There was a post last year mentioning another good place to buy fish for sushi. It mentioned that they supply mostly restaurants but are also happy to deal with public and sell small bits for sushi at a good price.

If anyone remember the place please can you post it.

Can anybody suggest a place to buy sushi-grade fish? Frozen fish does NOT count as sushi-grade fish, unfortunately cause frozen fish is meant to be cooked. Sushi grade fish is stored at something like -5 degrees or something (but not frozen) for X amount of time to kill off any bacteria that might be looming around.

Thanks!

I do believe that is incorrect. I have a number of friends who have sold giant bluefin tuna to japanese buyers right off the boat in Montauk and those fish are flash frozen, put on an airplane and arrive at the Tokyo auction a huge fishy ice cube. Fishermen in Florida sometimes flash freeze tuna by putting them in what we can a "brine slushee" which is a container of crushed ice and water with a LOT of salt added to speed up the freezing process.

First of all, if you are not a "Sushi Chef", then go with the safest approach.

1) The fake crabmeat in any supermarket is great when combined with cucumber or cream cheese. Add a little seafood spice to it though. Old Bay is great if you have it or something similar.

2) Try to buy the least salted ingredients as possible. Salted fish and Wasabe just doesn't go together as there is already too much salt in Soy Sauce as it is

3) If you plan to buy fresh fish, then go with the lighter shades of meat. The darker ones are so strong in smell that the novice could not tell if they are bad or not.

4) Buy frozen seafood products. They are frozen immediately after catch and will be the best source for not so sushi sushi, but almost no one can really tell the difference anyway. Thaw it slowly in a collander or other drip allowable container in the frig.

5) Sushi is the rice. Pay special attention to how you make it and do not add to much rice wine vinegar or you will have acetic sushi.

6) Sushi mats are a must for the first time roller. An alternative can be a place mat if it is flexible enough. Even the cloth ones will do.

Man, I need to do this again soon!

No fresh fish smells, even big mackerel like wahoo and kingfish. Fish start to smell after they have been out of the water for a while. The difference is that with white fish, it is easier to wash off the smell that it is with dark fish with oily meat. Even the "grade B" yellowfin tuna sashimi that I have eaten on the back of our boat or at the dock is every bit as good as the "sushi grade" stuff that you see at most restaurants. Unless you are buying off the back of a boat or at a fish house where people bring their daily catch, you are never getting fresh fish. In the case of commercial fishing operations, unless you are buying from a charter boat in someplace like Miami or the Carolinas, some of that fish was caught weeks before or maybe longer and stored on the boat until they come back into port. Some fish do not do well being stored. That is why you do not see blackfin tuna being consumed as sushi anywhere other than places where it is caught like Florida and Eastern Mexico. Blackfin has to be consumed within a couple of days.

Hello all!

I also buy my fish for my japanese-cooking addiction in Posidon! Very fresh and well-priced!

Take care and enjoy ur sushi!

Anastasia

xxx

Received a sushi making kit for christmas with the moulds to make maki rolls. Does anyone know if the shops recommended by Kaori in post #8 are still there, or if there is anywhere else to by the vinegar, seaweed etc. My japanise sister in law in Hamburg suggests starting off with tinned tuna.

It has changed a lot. GoAsia is one of the supermarkets where you can buy stuff for Sushi rolls at the moment. I miss the running sushi restaurants at the moment because u could eat as much as you can in a great atmosphere. Hope it comes back soon.