Where to buy sushi ingredients

39 posts in this topic

We are going to try to make sushi and want to know where to buy fish for our experiment... is there anyone online whi likes making sushi and knows where to buy the best ingredients??

First of all, if you are not a "Sushi Chef", then go with the safest approach.

1) The fake crabmeat in any supermarket is great when combined with cucumber or cream cheese. Add a little seafood spice to it though. Old Bay is great if you have it or something similar.

2) Try to buy the least salted ingredients as possible. Salted fish and Wasabe just doesn't go together as there is already too much salt in Soy Sauce as it is

3) If you plan to buy fresh fish, then go with the lighter shades of meat. The darker ones are so strong in smell that the novice could not tell if they are bad or not.

4) Buy frozen seafood products. They are frozen immediately after catch and will be the best source for not so sushi sushi, but almost no one can really tell the difference anyway. Thaw it slowly in a collander or other drip allowable container in the frig.

5) Sushi is the rice. Pay special attention to how you make it and do not add to much rice wine vinegar or you will have acetic sushi.

6) Sushi mats are a must for the first time roller. An alternative can be a place mat if it is flexible enough. Even the cloth ones will do.

Man, I need to do this again soon!

We bought fish from Nordsee, Viktualienmarkt, when making sushi. I've heard that Poseidon there is very good too. Make sure you buy special sushi rice too.

Even easier if you goto one of the many "Running Sushi" places dotted around down.. :D

Making your own sushi is a lot of fun though. If you prep the ingredients, then a make your own sushi party is an absolute blast.

I think it sounds like a plan in the making... I know I would be down for a make-you-own sushi night... I'm very experienced in the field... anyone?

To avoid the rice sticking to your hands, wear plastic gloves or soak your hands in a mild mixture of white vinegar/water.

Then I should help you :D Unfortunately i even havn´t found a nice fish shop here in Munich. So i fetch fishes at Karstadt, Kaufhof and so on and i go there in the morning so that they are fresh enough (!). The "Su(the white vinegar which Willy mentioned above) you can find in a japanese or asian shop like "Mikado" in the street of sport scheck, near from Marien Plz. Fürstenfelder Str. It looks like pearl shop from outside but the second floor is a japanese shop.).

You need the sea weed(you should require the big squre ones with no salt above), the bamboo things to roll, Tuna, samon, avacado, sesami(white one), soya sauce and wasabi (the green mustard) and sushi-rice (at Rosenheimerplz, next to the dm there´s an asian shop which sells "Sushi-rice". they even put the label on them so that you can tell immedia. which is for sushi!).

I usually spend less than 20 euros for the home sushi-party for 4 people (among us). Making Sushi is VERY easy, looks terrific and it´s fun. if you serve Green tea, ginger and miso-soup, your guest would never go other sushi restaurants which require much money and they should be much worse than your sushi-evening. Liebe geht durch den Magen.. (by the way sushi-zen is good).

Much fun & luck!

Thanks everyone... I think having a sushi party sounds like fun :D ... maybe in a few weeks... tomorrow is a date.. I don't think he would appreciate me inviting a bunch of people to his flat ... but I am willing to open my house up for a sushi party after the 15th of January... :- )

There's a shop on the Viktualienmarkt and I'm sorry that I don't remember the name. It's across from two other fresh fish shops, one of which has a big tank with live fish and a large prep area. This place has a varied selection in the small front window and there's usually a queue in front. They're well known for their fish soup and they have a number of shellfish (littleneck clams, razornecks, cherrystone, etc.) and harder-to-find fish and fish products (such as fish cheeks). They carry fish specifically for sushi, including both toro and maguro tunas, and they give good advice to people who ask. This sucks if you're at the back of the queue and already know what you want.

I disagree strongly with the idea of getting frozen fish which is often thawed and refrozen in handling, and having talked to people who worked in the fish industry, relabling expired fish isn't just common but an industry norm. Eating raw fish has some inherent danger; you should only buy fish from a reputable market and the one I describe above is just that.

voff.

i've heard this from a lot of people in the know, as well

if you love to eat sushi*, then you don't want to be messing about with dodgy fish... if you're eating it raw, then only the best is good enough

* insert "finbar saunders"-style innuendo of your choice here

Fisch Witte at the Viktualienmarkt is the name of the fish market.. that is where he is going to buy the fish :-))

Poseidon is the best for sashimi, IMO. I think that is the place BadDoggie meant. They have the most beautiful toro I've seen for sale to mere mortals outside of Japan. Unless you are absolutely sure about your source, stick to salt-water fish, as it is less likely to have parasites.

So what are some examples of salt-water fish? Is yellowtail salt-water fish?

Not exactly difficult to find out.

Japanese Amberjack:

The Japanese amberjack or yellowtail, Seriola quinqueradiata, is a fish in the family Carangidae. It is native to the northwest Pacific, from Japan to Hawaii.