Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Looking to Start Microenterprise in Nuremberg

5 posts in this topic

My boyfriend of two years is now living in Nuremberg, on a work visa, and is waiting for me to join him. But he doesn't make quite enough to support us both for too long, so I need to find work. After reading the postings on this site by expats about the major difficulties trying to find a job in Germany, I am convinced I will have the same difficulties. I am already struggling to find even job postings that suit my skills and I don't speak German - although I plan on learning. However, a light bulb went off in my head last night about starting my own business.

I currently work in the natural foods industry in the San Francisco Bay Area, and I see room for growth in certain categories in the natural foods market in Bavaria, especially Nuremberg. I know all the hot products in the U.S. Market - perhaps Germans will respond well to some of them. Importing products would be too expensive and wasteful. So, I would like to look into starting by own wholesale business selling natural food products (that I make myself) to local natural food stores and cafes. Since I plan on being the sole founder and employee, it seems it would make sense for me to pursue starting a "microenterprise." I want to be low budget - I'm talking, a bike and trailer as my delivery system to local businesses; working out of a home kitchen, although I suspect that may not be legal, in which case, a commercial kitchen.

Can anyone tell me if this is feasible? What are the chances they'd grant me a residence permit to pursue such a dream? (Although my boyfriend is open to getting married, which would solve our visa problems, I am not quite ready for that step.) Is there some kind of minimal capital investment? I know I will need to develop a solid business plan.

Any input or suggestions are much appreciated.

Thank you!

-K

Is there some kind of minimal capital investment? I know I will need to develop a solid business plan.

The minimal capital investment of 250k was recently abolished, however, you'd need a very convincing business plan. You might want to start by contacting the IHK for advice. Keep in mind that in many areas of Germany it is very difficult to start a business without knowing German; don't forget to budget for the necessary consulting costs.

You can find info on permits in the wiki (although you would need a Gewerbe and could not run you business as a freelancer).

Good luck. You may run into a number of regulations simply by wanting to open a food-based business. A consultant knowledgeable in German business and/or food production law would be a good idea.

BTW, I moved your topic to "Life in Franken and Oberpfalz" as Nürnberg is not in South Bavaria.

Hi

Not the most helpful posting, but just wanted to say best of luck with your venture.

I am in a very similar situation coming from the UK (although without the visa issue) and totally understand the frustration.

I have also worked in the food industry in the past, and would love to combine my love for cooking with being in Nuremberg.

Best of luck!!

I have also worked in the food industry in the past, and would love to combine my love for cooking with being in Nuremberg.

How is your German? The IHK usually is a great starting point for info, however, most (if not all) of it tends to be in German. If you don't speak German, you might want to consider looking for a business partner who does (or hire English speaking advisors).