Private parking fine in supermarket

65 posts in this topic

Hello,

I found a private company parking fine on my car 3 days after it was put there. I did not see it due to rain and it being hard to see under wiper. I forgot to put my parking card with time on it in the window as normal on the day ticket was put there. Its for €40 and says I will be taken to court after 7 days if not paid.

I parked there for just over an hour on that day and live near by. How could I not pay this fine?

1. Any one could have put it there its not governmental paper.

2. It could have been taken or blow of my wind screen without me seeing it.

3. Also it was put in a way on the car that I did not see it for 3 days.

I know this is Germany but does any one here question any rules or do they follow blindly.

I am living here 1 year.

Thanks for any advice.

Regards Positve

Are there bank account details? Without revealing the whole thing, who is supposed to be the recipient of the €40? You're sure it's not a private company who patrols the supermarket parking lot? Were you perhaps parked in a hadicapped parking space? Is there a description on the ticket? Where exactly was the ticket when you found it?

If it was in a supermarket car park, chances are it's a private company that runs it. Assuming it is so, and there are bank account details, and if you check inside the supermarket just to make sure, then there is no reason why you should not pay it.

I have a payment slip for a bank with GmbH after a company name.

My wife found it almost in the car engine under wind screen wipers when she was walking past the car 3 days later.

As Kazalphaville already suggested, just go and ask to speak the to the manager of the supermarket on Monday. I bet there are also signs posted around the lot saying some like "enforced by ________ GmbH" in German.

What exactly does it say on the ticket? There are various parking fines ranging from €15 - €40 depending on what the offence was.

There is a valid reason I should not pay it.

Its 1 hour parking in a supermarket I spend lot of money in every week and I forgot once to place parking permit in window in a mostly empty car park.

There is always ways to bend rules that's the way of the world.

Paying for your mistakes is not a nice feeling.

Finding out way to beat and maybe even better the system is a good feeling.

Maybe 1 hour grace could be give or 1 time warning.

I am all for rules but I don't follow all of them without thinking and wondering how they can be improved.

Thanks all for input so far.

If the supermarket wants customers to use a Parkscheibe then not using one gets you a ticket. If you don't pay up they'll keep adding fees onto the ticket. Lesson learned.

BTW - was it L*dl? If so I believe they (and a lot of other supermarkets) have a "1 Stunde mit Parkscheibe" rule to prevent people parking there all day.

The translation if €40 for not displaying parking permit.

Not Lidl its a small center with a few shops 7 KM from Dresden center.

I see that Germany has change some people on this forum already :)

I will pay the fine if and when I find out all about the rules and read the advice from the nice people on who give it too me.

Again thanks to all for their input it is all going to how I will deal with this issue.

Its 1 hour parking in a supermarket I spend lot of money in every week and I forgot once to place parking permit in window in a mostly empty car park.

do you have the date/time at when the ticket was issued? secondly, do you have a receipt that proves you were in the supermarket at the time (even paying by bankcard with a statement is good enough). then you can simply argue that you go there often and you simply forgot to put out the parking sign and/or it was not visible due to other reasons (stupid parking attendant, rain et al).. might be worth a try at least.

The worst thing you can do here is nothing!

The company will pursue this and the fine / fees will increase with each mahnung they send. Speak to them, it will help in the long run and maybe you can even argue your case with them for a reduced fine.

Otherwise, as people have said, you made (a genuine) mistake and have been fined.

As has also been pointed out, this is probably to prevent people parking there for long periods and taking up the (few?) parking spaces needed by shoppers.

Sadly for you, the amount you spend across any number of visits does not buy you bonus minutes. For all the company know, you may have been parked there for a few hours, hence the reason for needing a permit in the window.

Good luck.

The worst thing you can do here is nothing!

The company will pursue this and the fine ...

How would they know who he was?

How would they know who he was?

Good question.

I know it's always dangerous to assume, but I am assuming they have means to check car registrations against owners and be able to pursue these fines?

I guess their official route after a period of time would be to take this to court and let the authorities locate the owner of the car and pursue the fine and fees?

1 or 2 good points made in the link above.

1. If a car has more then 1 user and no proof of the owner receiving the fine. How do they know who was driving? Is it the car owner or the person who parked at fault?

2. Is it wort it to follow up on €40 in court as to pay someone to go to court to fight for this €40 would cost much more?

3. If the company sell this fine to a collect company and they add more money on to it. Is this just harassment of someone who may have not seen the ticket?

4. Also if I owned some parking space and put up a sign saying €200 fine if you park here with permit. Would people pay as who sets prices? Fines for speeding are not as high as €40

I will ask how can a private company get my name &home details just by asking governmental office for them?

Do I not have the right to have my information keep from public or company's?