Telescope usage tips for beginners

44 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, yourkeau said:

Not only light pollution is the problem, but also the weather. Germany sucks at providing a clear sky. The best you can do is to travel to Egypt (Sinai peninsula), it is cheap and has the clearest sky you can get. Any other desert will work, too.

Regarding activities in Germany, I would advise a DSLR camera+tripod+remote control+500 mm lens (the cheapest one will go). This way you can take also photos of the sun (including during solar eclipse). Photography is more fun than just watching. You can take photos of the stars moving (to prove to the child that the earth is not flat), that is more interesting than just looking at them. 

Well in principle I could agree with you but... he was talking for a complete beginner aged 7 and you suggest that? ;-)

IMO astrophotography and visual are two totally different hobbies: astrophotography can of course bring much better results (eh our eyes are what they are) but requires a much bigger effort (equipment wise, to get the photos and then to process them). Visual is something much more immediate, but can be very very often disappointing (because people expect to use a 200 Euro telescope and see what they see on Hubble telescopes :D ). Starting directly with astrophoto, not to mention at 7, sounds hard to me.

And raising the bar to travel to deserts may be also a bit early :D

Astrophotography is really complicated, expensive and frustrating. Either you spend north of 30.000€ for a good tracking and imaging setup or you end up with amateurish equipment which requires a lot of dedication.

I ended up spending quite a lot (but much lower than 30.000€) and in the process developed my own adaptive optics and guide camera. But in the end I realized that the most frustrating part was yet to come: to process the images to make them nice. It's just boring.

If I get back in the hobby, I will have a big ass Dobson, over 18", for observation and a simplified imaging setup perhaps only for exoplanet discovery.

11 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

Astrophotography is really complicated, expensive and frustrating. Either you spend north of 30.000€ for a good tracking and imaging setup or you end up with amateurish equipment which requires a lot of dedication.

I ended up spending quite a lot (but much lower than 30.000€) and in the process developed my own adaptive optics and guide camera. But in the end I realized that the most frustrating part was yet to come: to process the images to make them nice. It's just boring.

If I get back in the hobby, I will have a big ass Dobson, over 18", for observation and a simplified imaging setup perhaps only for exoplanet discovery.

Just noticed that the new version of Affinity Photo has Astrostacking capability, dying to try that little baby out.

I agree to @MikeMelga

Its so complicated to decide which device to buy and get started. I have never felt like this before or have to do so much research to buy something in the past :D

I wanted to buy last Christmas but somehow couldn't get time to do that. 

May be, anyone on TT Munich wants to give away there old T-scope?