Pension insurance obligations (Rentenversicherung)

117 posts in this topic

I was given Thomas Zitzelsberger's name from my health insurance contact, Mike Woodiwiss. Mr. Zitzelsvberger was really helpful and answered my email the same day I sent it. He told me I should go to the Deutsche Rentenversicherung office, bring my contract from the company that wants to hire me (as a free-lancer) and they will be able to tell me if I am exempt or not. It was so nice to be able to e-mail someone and get direct answers from a person who knows what they are talking about. Will let you guys know what the Deutsche Rentenversicherung says, if anyone is interested.

Hi there,

I also require 'proof' from one of my Arbeitgeber...

I am a translator who does a few other things on the side. I have 5/6 clients so that's not a problem, but recently I was asked to prove that I was 'Sozialversicherungsbefreit' and am about to hand in the form V027 to the Deutsche Rentenversicherung.

I've heard from a couple of Germans that they're likely to decline me because they want my money (no real reasoning aside from that), but I've read on here that translators should be free.

I've been working as a freelancer for 2 years previously and never had this problem with any other Arbeitgeber, but these are quite a big company and are worried of being audited and forced to pay back payments. I already have private health insurance and pension so obviously I'm not thrilled about the prospect of paying extra into a German one when I'm almost certainly not going to retire here.

Does anyone have any advice on how to fill out that form to make sure they don't 'get' me? Or any other advice from people who have been in similar situations? Would be hugely appreciated!

Many thanks

Andy

So, in my never-ending saga of new surprises to sort out for my visa/work & residency permit application, yesterday I learned of Rentenversicherung or, in the alternative, Lebensversicherung.

Apparently, citizens of the USA and of Japan who wish to be "selbstaendig/freiberuflich taetig" must provide*:

1) Krankenversicherungnachweis

2) Nachweis ueber eine Altersversorgung (Pflichtversicherung fuer Selbstaendige bzw. Lebensversicherung in ausreichender Hoehe)

3) Nachweis ueber die Sicherung des Lebensunterhaltes

I understand #2 to mean I can provide proof of having either a) Rentenversicherung or B) Lebensversicherung in ausreichender Hoehe (which is 50.000€). However, I did not clarify the coverage requirements for Rentenversicherung.

As my German is not perfect, and I'm running out of days that I can schlepp back and forth to the KVR to clarify things, is someone able to clarify the Rentenversicherung/Lebensversicherung obligation I need to fulfill and prove for my application as a US citizen applying for a visa to work as a freelance English teacher?

I'll happily listen at a future time to all the nifty tax cuts and tricks that the search results for "Rentenversicherung" turn up, but right now, I just need to secure my [bleep]in' visa.

*In addition to the basic requirements of completed application, a valid national identification, and biometric photograph.

Sillylawyer: I have never heard of freelance American teachers having to prove they have a life assurance to get a visa..I´ve never come across this and I deal with American freelance teachers and the like on a daily basis. If you´d like to PM me on this, I´ll see if I can clarify that.

I am a professional independent insurance broker and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

ok, engelchen - have never come across that, either!!! Someone comes to Germany, wants a visa and has to prove they have an Altersversorgung. That´s absurd! And if someone´s staying for a year?

I am a professional independent insurance broker and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

Isn't there another thread about how teachers are required to pay into one of the state pension funds - which means freelancers pay 19%? Could that be what SillyLawyer means?

John,

I don’t make the rules, I just read them sometimes ;) . It is only applies to freelancers over 45 and I think it is to ensure that they don’t end up without any type of pension when they reach retirement age.

The ABH in Berlin has more info.

No, it doesn't just apply to people over 45, it applies to everyone. Some people have managed to get a "Befreiung", but a lot of teachers haven't and have ended up with back payments up to 3 years - it seems to be the luck of the draw when dealing with the BfA.

Sorry, I was not clear.

Proof of adequate Altersversorgung only applies to self-employed applicants over 45(§21 Abs 3. AufenthG).

I think he might need both Rentenversicherung (or the Befreiung) AND proof of Altersversorgung if he is over 45.

Here's the thread about the state pension insurance requirement for teachers - even freelance. According to the latest information there, the requirement is still in force if you earn the majority of your money from teaching.

Yes, all good points but how can anyone applying for a visa as a teacher already have the pension for teachers from the old 1913 law on whenever it was? Absurd.

Stress: APPLYING for a visa...was too late to edit!!

Sorry, I was not clear.

Proof of adequate Altersversorgung only applies to self-employed applicants over 45(§21 Abs 3. AufenthG).

I think he might need both Rentenversicherung (or the Befreiung) AND proof of Altersversorgung if he is over 45.

As I understand it, the rule for over 45s is only for non-EU Existenzgründer, setting up a company etc and not for language teachers.

John,

Honestly, i am not so sure.

According to the operations manual for Berlin, the Altersvorsorgung also applies to freelancers. However, there is an exception for nationals of countries with special treaties. The US has such a treaty, although I do not know whether this aspect is covered in the treaty.

21.3. Altersversorgung selbstständig Erwerbstätiger

§ 21 Abs. 3 verlangt bei Personen, die zum Zeitpunkt der Antragstellung das 45. Lebensjahr vollendet haben, eine angemessene Altersversorgung. § 21 Abs. 3 kommt auch in den Fällen des § 21 Abs. 5 (Freiberufler) uneingeschränkt zur Anwendung.

Merke: Ausweislich der Nr. 21.3. AufenthG-VwV findet § 21 Abs. 3 keine Anwendung auf Angehörige der Staaten, mit denen entsprechende Abkommen bestehen (vgl. oben A.21.2.).

I hope someone else has a definitive answer.

SillyLawyer, sorry, this is rude, but if you don’t mind me asking anyway are you over or under 45? If you are under 45 it would make the Altersversorgung irrelevant anyway.

Should be easy to get a definitive answer, Engelchen! it´s only 650 pages!! :D

John, a little light reading, I just hope you didn't try to print it first ;) .

Try pages 127-129.

I printed the first 631 pages and ran out of paper and the printer went on strike! :D I´ll look at 127-129!!

Couldn´t find anything about teachers looking for a visa..looks more like Handelsvertreter from the 1950s and stuff like that. Who thought this crap up??!! :(

Must admit, engelchen, page 127, 21.1.3. ( for Brandenburg ) is transparent, detailed and gets us close to universal truth!! It says ( quote ) " frei "!!! :D Some lawmaker had a good day then!!!

In reality, it´s sensibly left to the individual Ausländeramt to decide/evaluate each individual case. Having an adequate health insurance policy, written proof of job offers and perhaps a bank account statement that the individual is not penniless is normally enough for freelance English teachers. 100% of my clients have so far got the visa - God knows if it´ll stay that way.