Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

German Sky TV installation help needed

18 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

I received the Sky+ box yesterday. It included a HD receiver and (I guess) a harddisk to record program. While I do not know any German I tried to set it up to work with the TV (NTSC) I brought to Germany. So I use the cable outlet of the wall to connect to the receiver and use HDMI to connect to the TV.

Well it kind of works: I would view some "free" channels as told by my landlord. I would also see the sky movie channels (I subscribe the movie, sport and Bundesliga packages) after calling the hotline to activate the smartcard. However the channels from basic package (sky welt) as well as those from the sport package (Skysport 1 and 2) and Bundesliga channel are all missings. There are some other channels (for example Sky sport 3 and 10) that shows error messages.

I tried to search channels again but the auto scan cannot find any new channels. I also tried to use manual search with no luck (i only tried a few options out of a number of combinations of options). :(

Have anyone experienced this before (able to see some sky channels that require subscription but fail to locate others)?

I should also mention that I ordered sky through cable (since my landlord told me the apt is cable ready) and when I place my order on sky.de the address check seems to be fine. However during the channel automatic search the item "network receiver" is Astra1, which looks like a satellite signal. Did I order the wrong connection? :unsure:

that sounds strange.

Who is your cable provider?

More importantly, what does your smartcard say?

does it say "Kabeldeutschland" on it or is it some other type of generic card?

I am just wondering if you were sent the satellite box and card by sky by mistake rather than the cable version.

Do you know the model number of the cable box?

Its all very strange as you should have 100s of channels tuned in with an error 310 (not subscribed / authorised) even if theres a problem with the decoder/ chip etc.

Thanks for the reply. I am at work now so would only check the model number/ what is written on the smart card later today. But if I remember correctly the connection on the receiver is marked as "Cable in" and I can actually see some channels.

I also found the following information from sky website

https://www.sky.de/web/cms/de/kundencenter-hilfe-installation-transponder-kabel.jsp

http://www.sky.de/web/cms/de/kundencenter-hilfe-installation-transponder-sat.jsp

which lists the channel frequency of both cables and satellite. From the description it seems to match the "kabel" version when I tried to manually search the channel.

if it were a satelite box then the inputs would be marked with "Sat in"

http://www.sky.de/web/redaktion/download/BDA_S_HD_PVR_101.pdf

and indeed a cable box has "cable in" for its connections.

anyhow to find out what is wrong you'll have to look at the error messages.

Theres a 310 that means you arent subscribed.

Theres also a 312 (or something like that) that means the channel isnt broadcasting.

Skysport 3 to 12 only broadcast when theres an event so they wont always be receivable and will show an error most times you look at them.

What you should also know is that only the main channels are on positions 1 to 100.

You can customise this first 100 as your favourites list. If you delete a channel here it doesnt matter as theres always a copy later in the channel list.

Channels 101 to 999 are automatically allocated with fixed numbers and then Kabeldeutschland channels that sky dont give a proper number to will be in the 1000s.

To get higher number channels maybe try pressing "guide" and you'll see some categories drop down.

Under "sport" you'll see all the sports channels.

NOTE: if you havent paid the extra for the HD upgrade then Sky Sports HD1 and HD2 will be not available but theres a standard definition version further down the list.

You should also be seeing Eurosport HD there and it should be selectable.

Are you sure the channels arent tuned and that you simply arent looking in the wrong place for the channel?

Thanks again for replying.

Actually I am not sure I am doing the whole thing correct, but I follow the installation guide that comes with the receiver as much as I can. Afterwards I also tried to tune the channel by going to "service-menu" and choose the option automatic "suchlauf", then I needed to wait for around 10 minutes before the searching is completed.

At the beginning the Hinweis 310 message appeared in the Sky movie channels, but an hour wait after calling the service hotline I can view these channels. Note that they are not in HD, although my subscription includes HD package.

For Sports 3 and 11 I have the 313 error message (not broadcasting), but I believe I should also receive sport 1 and 2 (and others like Discovery Channel and National Geographic). I cannot find these channels even though I browse through all the channels I receive.

I have a question though: during the set up, after searching for channels and firmware update, I was asked to choose the cable provider. Since I do not know which one I have I just choose the first in the list (which is NOT Kabeldeutschland if I remember correctly). Will this make a difference?

you should be able to find out your cable provider by looking at the smartcard sky sent you.

My one is a yellow Kabeldeutschland one to go with the Kabeldeutschland network

If youre not with them then good chance its KMS, Kabel und Medien Service

you can see a picture of their smartcards here :

http://www.atcable.de/smartcard.html

the latest info on KMS frequencies I could find is below.

If you are doing a manual scan then make sure the start and end frequencies include the full range of possibilities, although a search from 354 MHz to 386 MHz should find all Sky SD channels from the looks of it

113 Mhz - SR 6900 - QAM 64 - ARD

113 MHz - SR 6900 - QAM 64 - ARD Digital (Radio)

121 MHz - SR 6900 - QAM 64 - Cablevista - Family XL

130 MHz - SR 6900 - QAM 256

322 MHz - SR 6900 - QAM 256 - Cablevista - Privatsender FreeTV

346 MHz - SR 6900 - QAM 64 - Cablevista - International

354 MHz - SR 6900 - QAM 64 - Sky Deutschland

362 MHz - SR 6900 - QAM 64 - Sky Deutschland

370 MHz - SR 6900 - QAM 64 - Sky Deutschland

378 MHz - SR 6900 - QAM 64 - Sky Deutschland

386 MHz - SR 6900 - QAM 64 - Sky Deutschland

394 MHz - SR 6900 - QAM 64 - ZDF Vision

402 MHz - SR 6900 - QAM 64 - Cablevista - International

410 MHz - SR 6900 - QAM 64 - ARD Digital

418 MHz - SR 6900 - QAM 64 - Cablevista - International

426 MHz - SR 6900 - QAM 64 - ARD Digital

434 MHz - SR 6900 - QAM 64 - ProSiebenSat.1

442 MHz - SR 6900 - QAM 64 - RTL World

450 MHz - SR 6900 - QAM 64 - Cablevista - Family XL

458 MHz - SR 6900 - QAM 256 - Sky Deutschland - HDTV

466 MHz - SR 6900 - QAM 64 - ARD Digital

482 MHz - SR 6900 - QAM 64 - Cablevista - Family XL

490 MHz - SR 6900 - QAM 256 - Cablevista - Privatsender FreeTV

522 MHz - SR 6900 - QAM 256

602 MHz - SR 6900 - QAM 256

618 MHz - SR 6900 - QAM 256 - Cablevista - Mediteran

626 MHz - SR 6900 - QAM 256 - Cablevista - MiddleEast

634 MHz - SR 6900 - QAM 256 - Cablevista - Privatsender FreeTV

642 MHz - SR 6900 - QAM 256 - Cablevista - Privatsender FreeTV

650 MHz - SR 6900 - QAM 256 - Kabelkiosk Basis HD (RTL, VOX, Sat1, Pro7, Kabel1 in HD)

658 MHz - SR 6900 - QAM 256

666 MHz - SR 6900 - QAM 256 - Sky Deutschland - HDTV

674,3 MHz - SR 6900 - QAM 256 - Sky Deutschland - HDTV

682,3 MHz - SR 6900 - QAM 256 - ARD/ZDF HDTV

690 MHz - SR 6900 - QAM 256 - Cablevista - Privatsender FreeHDTV

706 MHz - SR 6900 - QAM 256 - Cablevista - Osteuropa

714 MHz - SR 6900 - QAM 256 - Cablevista - Osteuropa

Thanks! I will try that tonight.

I also made a search on kabeldeutschland website, it says my TV cable is provided by www.cablesurf.de. But I cannot find anything about TV on http://www.cablesurf.de, only internet service.

cablesurf is the internet service that KMS provides.

KMS are only a small player in the market local so it seems they have all sorts of franchise deals and whatnot with bigger german wide entities that external companies supply their pay tv and internet services.

I checked the smartcard but it only has Sky label on it.

Last night I tried a couple of things but none work :(

1. Manual search

2. Factory reset of the receiver (which is a Humax PDR-3000 if I remember correctly)

3. Redo the setup using a different cable outlet in the bedroom

So I am kind of giving up. I called Sky and they will send someone to check what the problem is -- it may be the receiver, the cable provider, or the cable in my apt. If the problem is due to the cable provider, they will issue a paper that I will need to pass on to the cable company so that they fix the problem.

I also visited one of the cable corner of cablsurf. I went there to check whether they can provide internet in my apt, the staff there speaks English and told me that the cable in my apt building has limited bandwidth (up to 511 MHz) and they only provide TV cable there. When I asked him why I cannot receive most of the sky channels, he told me to call Sky.

So I will wait to see when the appointment will be made. If it is beyond the 14-day cancellation period, I may simply cancel the sky subscription and seek alternatives.

Thanks a lot for your help exquitius!!!

I found from KMS website the channels they are providing to my building:

http://www.atcable.de/pdf/KMS-MUC-511.pdf

There is no mentioning of any sky channels, and indeed I receive most if not all the channels listed in the PDF (plus the few sky movie channels).

Just a follow-up, an technician from Sky came this morning, only to find out there is no signal for those missing channels from either the cable at my apartment nor the satellite dish in the rooftop of the building. So I have to cancel my subscription from Sky. The technician is very nice and he speaks good English. He often helped me to call Sky to make the cancellation!

Thanks a lot exquitius for your help.

Reviving an old thread because I have quite a similar problem.

We just moved into our new house and got Sky (German version). Having plugged it all in we are missing a lot of channels. Some are Sky channels that we subscribed too, such as the Sky cinema channels, but we also have no ARD or ZDF, among others. We only have about 40 channels total, and 20 of those are international news channels that are not unlocked.

I may be asking a very stupid question here, but do we need a subscription to Kabel Digital or similar for Sky to work properly? I had assumed that Sky was all I needed, but I am starting to doubt that. On the other hand, we do have at least some channels, including the football ones, so something is working.

If its relevant: We have no satellite dish and no cable tv subscription. We do have cable internet, provided by Kabel Deutschland.

I didnt need to - their letter said it would be activated within 30 minutes, and indeed the channels I have did start working. I also spent 20 minutes on the phone with them this morning, so the service is definitely active

I do not remember exactly but it was half working for me when I got it but had to call them and it took quite a long time before all started working correctly and I have no other subscriptions

I suggest calling them and asking them, sorry I do not remember exactly anymore

An update in case it helps anyone else. We got a basic subscription to Kabel Deutschland for 3,90 per month and now Sky works perfectly. You do indeed need a cable subscription before Sky can work. Seems obvious in retrospect but I just didnt get it. I think a lot of people have the cable hidden somewhere in the nebenkosten already, but in our case we did not.

What confused me was that we did get some channels - when the cable guy came to install it, he was very surprised and said it shouldnt be working at all. It seems the filter they were using to block cable TV to our house was not working 100%.

I have a free one year sky subscription that came with my new Telekom contract. It is an IPTV Sky contract, however, I do not have a telecom media receiver. Is there any other way of receiving sky in this case?

If not, does anyone know whether the older version of the Telkom receivers (media receiver 400) still work? It looks like I can pick one up from ebay for about €80...