TV license fees in Germany - Rundfunkbeitrag, formerly known as GEZ

1,774 posts in this topic

Hi All, I have tried looking up my answer through this thread but it being so long I may have missed the right answer - so I hoping someone who knows stuff can give me the right tip.  Given that I dont use media (TV/Radio) and only computer I was a bit stubborn and was still passively in resistance to the ARD fee and only paid the fee when they finally gave me the letters in my mail box (I guess they found me on the register and m mail box) by them sending me the invoice and then making the transfer manually . I have come to realise that my resistance is rather useless and now want to set everything up with it being automatically paid from my bank. The thing is when I went onto the ARD site I got confused. I am not a new residence and I am not changing my residence. i already have a Beitragsnummer from the past years of paying so I am not sure what form I need to set things to rights. Any tips or the right form link are very welcomed, thank you!

40 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Ok. Sorry about that.

This bit threw me off -  "only paid the fee when they finally gave me the letters in my mail box".

I understand the confusion, to clarify, yes that was way at the beginning, meaning I did not volunteer to be registered. But when the letters came ( a few years back) I paid up and have been paying quarterly since, manually.

@LukeSkywalker I just downloaded that form - to be honest I am a bit confused still.

17 hours ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Focus on section 6 and 7 of the following form:

https://www.rundfunkbeitrag.de/e175/e5238/Unternehmen_und_Institutionen_Aenderung_Namen_Bankverbindung_0111.pdf

You will authorize a direct debit from your bank account and pay monthly/quarterly/semi-yearly/yearly.

Given that I have a Beitragsnummer I assume in some way I am registered (as a private person, in a private flat?) so I am not registering business or a new place or changing one, nor changing a bank account, simply adding one - but I assume I input my address there somewheres and my name but not sure in which part now or should I simply just fill in part 6 & 7?  Do you think if I attache the paper letter I get quarterly with this form they may figure it out? I tried calling but after waiting over an hour I gave up!  Any further tips welcomed

That other form seems to be for a business.  If you go to  https://www.rundfunkbeitrag.de/aendern/index_ger.html  you can opt to fill out online or download a PDF.  If you download a PDF, go here:  https://www.rundfunkbeitrag.de/e175/e5237/Buergerinnen_und_Buerger_Kontoaenderung_0104.pdf

In section 1, fill in your name, your Beitragsnummer, address etc.

In section 2, you are not changing anything so skip it.

In section 3, sign it.

In section 4, you are not changing to a different account so skip it.

In section 5, pick how you would like to pay: middle of a quarter, start of a quarter in advance, every 6 months or once per year.  Check "lastschrift". 

In section 6, fill in your bank info and sign it.

Then post it.

If you opt to fill it out online instead, they should send you a form for SEPA to sign because they can not take money from your account unless you sign.

I did this myself a few months ago.  I had set up an automatic transfer which worked fine but if there are changes in the fee or something like that, I find it better that they take the money themselves.

Has anyone found a way out after the switch to digital? Without a converter, i a cannot watch TV...  is it worth a try?

1 hour ago, kirakay said:

I tried calling but after waiting over an hour I gave up!  Any further tips welcomed

You called on Sunday 🤔?

LeonG already helped out.

25 minutes ago, tor said:

Has anyone found a way out after the switch to digital? Without a converter, i a cannot watch TV...  is it worth a try?

Since they decided it's per household regardless of if you even own a TV, I don't think you have much of a chance.  Sure you can try though.

I read about a journalist who sent the GEZ a letter and stated that he wanted to pay them cash.  As they are not equipped to accept cash, they didn't bother him after that.  Or so the story goes anyway.  You can try that one too.

@LukeSkywalker yeah I know it is Sunday! I tried calling to sort this all out on Friday morning but gave up after the long wait and turned to this forum which with @LeonG tip I have now printed out the right form and signed and ready to post. I find admin stuff not so easy to navigate so appreciate those of you who post here helpfully!

27 minutes ago, LeonG said:

Since they decided it's per household regardless of if you even own a TV, I don't think you have much of a chance.  Sure you can try though.

I read about a journalist who sent the GEZ a letter and stated that he wanted to pay them cash.  As they are not equipped to accept cash, they didn't bother him after that.  Or so the story goes anyway.  You can try that one too.

but the basic premise for making it "per household" is that you could conceivably receive the signal over the air, so to speak.

if it's not over the air anymore I expect someone will challenge it.  But if it's still over the air (I think it is) and you just need a converter (wtf?) then it will stick, as usual.

ah fuck it, it will always stick.  Even if we are someday required to have brain implants to watch tv the rundfuck will make it stick.

those bastards are of the devil.