TV license fees in Germany - Rundfunkbeitrag, formerly known as GEZ

1,789 posts in this topic

Yes, they've acknowledged your payment and confirmed that the foreclosure actions have ceased.

26 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

Yes, they've acknowledged your payment and confirmed that the foreclosure actions have ceased.

Thanks a lot for the quick reply.

Hi all,

I am living in Berlin with my boyfriend, who after a year has caved and recently paid the lisence fees owed.  I am still getting letters and they are currently demanding over €230. My German is quite basic and I am struggling on the website to find where I can deregister myself and state that he is paying it. 

Any help or links would be much appreciated!? (Older ones posted on here are no longer working). 

Thanks in advance!! 

Is your boyfriend German. If so, let him sort it out.

Otherwise, send a letter to the address that your letters are coming from stating your case and that the fee is already being paid in your flat. 

1 minute ago, fraufruit said:

Is your boyfriend German. If so, let him sort it out.

Otherwise, send a letter to the address that your letters are coming from stating your case and that the fee is already being paid in your flat. 

No we are both English. 

Thanks for the help 

It wasn't much help and maybe someone else will come along with a website.

Good thing your boyfriend "caved" or there would be money owed. As it is, you should be in the clear.

Best of luck

Hey Everyone,

I am in a weird situation, i read as many posts as i could but didn't find anyone having this problem. So, i have been in Germany close to 5 years now. Being a student for 3 and odd years and then working here full-time. Till this day, i have never received any letter from GEZ.

Although i wouldn't mind paying the money, Since i haven't till now received any letter from them, i do not see why i should approach them voluntarily to pay the money - as i do not use their tv or radio broadcasts. I have been in three apartments till now, the third being my current and never have i received a letter. However, my current flatmate has received a letter to register. I was thinking of registering and splitting this fee with my current flatmate.

But i am concerned whether they would ask me to pay for the last few years too? Or i could, not register and wait for a letter from them?

Any Ideas?

You are supposed to register (in general, but obviously factors like house sharing come into play too).  The obligation relates to broadcasts being made available.   Whether you watch them or not is irrelevant.  Seriously, totally, they won't care.

24 minutes ago, vaschetan said:

Although i wouldn't mind paying the money, Since i haven't till now received any letter from them, i do not see why i should approach them voluntarily to pay the money - as i do not use their tv or radio broadcasts. I have been in three apartments till now, the third being my current and never have i received a letter. However, my current flatmate has received a letter to register. I was thinking of registering and splitting this fee with my current flatmate.

Sooner or later they will find you and you will have to pay, and pay what you have missed. Whether you proactively tell them or wait for them to find you probably doesnt make too much difference but since you dont mind paying its probably better to start paying now than to build up more and more missed payments.

53 minutes ago, vaschetan said:

However, my current flatmate has received a letter to register. I was thinking of registering and splitting this fee with my current flatmate.

Let your flatmate register in his name and just give him half in cash.

If you should later receiver a letter from them yourself just answer that someone else is already paying for the apartment and give them your flatmate's Beitragsnummer as proof. Only problem would be if they find out about your old apartment and no one ever paid for them. They can backcharge.

52 minutes ago, vaschetan said:

Hey Everyone,

I am in a weird situation, i read as many posts as i could but didn't find anyone having this problem. So, i have been in Germany close to 5 years now. Being a student for 3 and odd years and then working here full-time. Till this day, i have never received any letter from GEZ.

But i am concerned whether they would ask me to pay for the last few years too? Or i could, not register and wait for a letter from them?

Any Ideas?

I would say:

1. let your flatmate pay for the current flat, pay him/her 50% of the amount, and keep the payment proof for your records.

I mean, for each payment he/she makes every 3 months, you should keep a copy.

Then you are absolutely legal at your current house and you can prove it when asked.

2. Try to figure out if someone was paying for your previous houses. If yes, proactively contact them and ask for proof. 

3. Start putting aside the money to pay for each month of your life in Germany for which you cannot prove that somebody else was paying your part.

4. Do not register yourself, as you are perfectly legal right now since your current flatmate is paying.

On the matter of the second payment for a second home, I said I wrote (following an online example) and now I received a Brefreiung form.   Meanwhile, it has gone up on the website as well:

https://www.rundfunkbeitrag.de/buergerinnen_und_buerger/formulare/befreiung_nebenwohnung/index_ger.html?highlight=Befreiung befreiung

As to above point, long time out of the UK now, but I think the difference is it is literally a TV licence there.  You still only pay it if you have a TV.  (Whether you use it for state TV is not relevant).    You can still watch on a PC for nothing there, I think?   And also if you only have b&w TV, as some people still do, then it is much less. 

Hey guys,

So, my bill for TV and radio never arrived. Moved to Munich in October 2017, lived in a shared flat from that date until start of February 2018. From that place I can no longer get said code. But from February 2018 until now I live in another apartment for which I have the code.

How exactly should I proceed to sign my self up and regulate the situation? I can accept to pay the fee for my first 4 months in Germany, but afterwards it's already paid by my flatmates.

Thanks

GM, Help needed, I just received a notice to pay the TV lic, I get an English pension here at approx 100GBP PW does anyone know if I would be exempt or a reduced price and if so would i have to send my pension letter to them for proof..I have been here for 4 yrs and this is the 1st time i had this letter, now I hear that I should have registered one I 1st came here... :( one has to be a mind reader to know this...

You can try, there are some exceptions for low income pensioners, etc.  You need to send them proof.

The sad face about having been here for 4 years and having to be a mind reader to know about this is a bit funny, as you posted on the GEZ thread here in 2015 asking if they might catch up with you as you had been a while and got away with it so far.  :D

1 hour ago, eileenro said:

GM, Help needed, I just received a notice to pay the TV lic, I get an English pension here at approx 100GBP PW does anyone know if I would be exempt or a reduced price an

Just because you (also) get a small pension from the UK, you can't get exempted or get a discount. Obviously you can't live on 100 pounds in Germany, so you must have a further income.

For whom there are discounts and for whom there are exemptions, you can read there.

3 hours ago, eileenro said:

GM, Help needed, I just received a notice to pay the TV lic, I get an English pension here at approx 100GBP PW does anyone know if I would be exempt or a reduced price and if so would i have to send my pension letter to them for proof..I have been here for 4 yrs and this is the 1st time i had this letter, now I hear that I should have registered one I 1st came here... :( one has to be a mind reader to know this...

Hope you do not mean you failed to Anmeldung?!

I think it's better when you inform them yourself since you don't know how often they do a data extraction from the registry.

The individual is responsible for supplying the information, not our local authority.  The obligation is between us and GEZ.  Our local authority is not a party to it.