TV license fees in Germany - Rundfunkbeitrag, formerly known as GEZ

1,789 posts in this topic

Take it over to the Main GEZ thread.. No need for 3+ GEZ threads at the same time..

I'd really feel better about this if we were paying for the quality. It would be nice one day if all state run European channels were available throughout the continent. If we're in a European 'Union', surely we should be able to access our own content without having to put up with Thomas Johannes Gottschalk and his hair. Still, Germans just love it, statistics show that in 2010 at least, Garmans watched TV for an average of 223 minutes per day. What a waste of time (for 200 minutes, the news is somewhat informative).

Less than Brits, Americans and Canadians. ie most of us. What a waste of time.

You have to move to Holland then. This comes the closest what you wish. We have ARD, ZDF, WRD, BBC1, BBC2, 2 Belgian state channels, 1 French, 1 Italian, 1 Spanish, 1 Turkish state channel as part of the standard cable package.

I know (or rather, knew) people who 'watched' way more a day - in the sense that they were unemployed or students and had the TV on all day regardless of what was on.

Averages are quite often meaningless.

As I am not using german tv/radio I have a question on a possible way to evade the tax.

I have been living in Germany before and I'll move back right after new year. Now, before I was just able to reply to the GEZ letter saying I dont own a tv etc, and just make sure I dont let them in my apartment when they ring at the door. Obviously, next year this won't work anymore. What if I use the trick stated on the Toytown website when I register again:

The information submitted in a registration is shared with numerous other parties such as political parties and the GEZ (the TV license people). If you want to prevent this sharing of information (important for tin-foil hat wearers) then you should complete another form called the Übermittlungsperre.

This would mean the GEZ has no means of knowing I am living in the country, how can they bill me then?

[adminmerge][/adminmerge]

Morning all. As we all know if you own a TV set there is a monthly licence fee to pay for ARD etc. A colleague in London who owns a place in Berlin said this month (Dec 2012) that in 2013 the fee will be extended to desktop computers. Is this an urban myth or true? Happy new year. Sean G

I still find it incredible that I shall be paying nearly 5 euros a week for something I don't use. What next? Five euros a week for public transport I hardly ever use?

Three library memberships (used to be four), audio books, music CDs, walks, gym, French class, German lit class, teaching English and other stuff and yet I am supposed to be sitting down like some good little brain-dead moron and soaking up the Bulle von Bad Tölz. It's incredible. And I know plenty of people without a TV. No time to watch it if they had one.

A colleague in London who owns a place in Berlin said this month (Dec 2012) that in 2013 the fee will be extended to desktop computers.

The fee has been extended to households.

I still find it incredible that I shall be paying nearly 5 euros a week for something I don't use.

It's outrageous to charge people for something they could be doing (e.g. watching TV on their computer) but aren't.

What next? Are we going to be charged for murdering people? We've got hands, we could be strangling people with them. There's no end to the list of examples of things you could be doing with the things you've got, but aren't. We could all be "doing a Gary Glitter" with our computers, but we're not. So why are we assumed to be watching TV on our computers and charged (money) for it whether we are or not. It ain't right. Test legal case anyone?

I realise they have to somehow catch the people who are using their computer as an alternative to owning a TV (and it's fully achievable these days) but that's no reason to assume everyone is. How would they get around it then? Give GEZ-payers a unique licence number, make the German TV/Radio channels demand this number to view/hear something, have a GEZ server that will perform a check on a number (and it can also ensure only one IP is using that number at the moment).

The UK TV channels could do the same thing, but instead they choose to let anyone who's got a UK IP address view online TV for free. They don't need to prove they've got a TV licence. No doubt when licence fee numbers go down, they'll think about either the system I suggest, or the system the Germans have adopted.

Consider the possibility that, had all users paid their fair share to begin with, this may not have happened.

That doesn't mean that I think any TV tax is fair because I grew up without it.

"Give GEZ-payers a unique licence number, make the German TV/Radio channels demand this number to view/hear something, have a GEZ server that will perform a check on a number (and it can also ensure only one IP is using that number at the moment)."

Exactly, Derek. A sensible way of doing things - but then ... one should never underestimate the paucity of common sense in the world.

Then again guys how many of us over here watch English free to view T.V. and do not pay an English T.V. licence me included of course.

Consider the possibility that, had all users paid their fair share to begin with, this may not have happened.

Fare share or not GEZ still brings in Billions of Eur a Year.. For more than they need. And as other have stated before

if the GEZ $ is to pay for programming, then why do the stations which get the $ still have Commercials/Advertisements.

That's clearly double dipping in my book.

Then again guys how many of us over here watch English free to view T.V. and do not pay an English T.V. licence me included of course.

I'd happily pay a UK TV Licence if it opened up all of the UK channels to me online for free, no doubt expat Germans around the world would pay GEZ to see their channels too. I'm paying half that amount for a service that does it for me now anyway. I suggested it to the Beeb when iPlayer first came out. There'd be tens of thousands of us who'd pay our dues to see that stuff. Some limitation that it only be allowed for expats could ensure it's not the whole world who's doing it would be good.

I think if I were in the German government, I'd suggest we just cancel the whole GEZ department, thereby saving I imagine at least 10 million a year, and take the amount lost in GEZ revenue from the general tax fund. It'd be a drop in the ocean, we'd end up paying way less than we do now because businesses would be paying for it too. There are also unfair elements to that, but we wouldn't be wasting tens of millions to collect that money, and we'd effectively (as tax paying citizens) be paying less than a quarter of what we have to now.