TV license fees in Germany - Rundfunkbeitrag, formerly known as GEZ

1,789 posts in this topic

I think every first world country pays more or less the same fuel taxes. And who change tires and rims every 2 seasons? Do you drive 100.000 km a year? And which kind of tires do you buy? Your prices sound very expensive for an average car. I bought a new set of winter tires (Vredestein) with new alu rims for 1200 EUR last season, but our car is a SUV with giant 19" wheels. Anyway, what's the point? Are you going to complain you have to buy new shoes if you walk a lot?

Not quite: http://www.aip.com.au/pricing/internationalprices.htm

That's the biggest problem with me. Whether on the radio or on TV, the Germans can take a subject that I find really interesting but the way they talk, well, I just want to weep and slash my wrists from sheer boredom. And yet, in the days before the Internet, when all I could get was BBC Radio 4 long wave, I would listen to hours and hours of the cricket commentary as they could make it sound as though they were having a good time. Such boring, boring voices. I even tried a play on CD once - with Nadja Tiller and Walter Giller, a couple that have been together since the 50s. If that was acting, then I should be able to win Oscars from now to eternity. Horrendously terrible, unclear, simply awful. And I've been a fan of the radio since I got my first battery operated one when I was a bout 10 and used to listen to it under the bedcovers at night, so it's not like I'm unused to listening to radio drama.

Exactly, for me as well as agreeing with you on watching programmes on topics I already find interesting, even when the topic's not one I've heard of or had an interest in before, English TV can usually (not 100% of the time, but usually) trigger at least momentary interest in what they're saying as they TRY to make it sound interesting. I'm not much of a radio person, so I can't speak on that really, but I can't wait to watch some interesting TV over christmas break when I fly back home! :P

What I wonder the most is how the "people" can be ok with this?

From all the random people in bars/cafes/meet-ups I have discussed this tax with NO ONE thinks it is a good thing but I would say most Germans said "It is just the way it is."

Why don't people write their version of a congressman and say "If you don't vote against this I don't vote for you." Seriously, the only people who like this is the government and the crappy broadcasting people. The majority of the people who watch these programs are most likely people who get free money from the government anyways. (Yeah, no fact about that, I just made that up because those people piss me off)

I am new to these forums but heard there is a vent channel. I wouldn't be surprised if GEZ was on there everyday.

I am also sure it is not original but now that I think about it I will say "Geeze, I don't want to pay the GEZ tax again." haha I crack myself up.

Hmmmm... and if you asked the same people if they'd rather pay less/no MwSt I'm pretty sure you'd get overwhelming support too. Nobody likes to pay for something they do not see direct and immediate benefit from.

Seriously, the only people who like this is the government and the crappy broadcasting people.

...together with the major parties in the current opposition. Hence "I'll vote for the others" will not have any effect.

most Germans said "It is just the way it is."

I agree, Germans tend to accept that they live in a land of high taxes, for that reason it's unlikely you're ever going to see them out on the streets, en masse, protesting about being gouged for yet another levy on any-fucking-thing that the bureaucrats feel is justified.

Not sure I'd agree about that. When they wanted to introduce university fees in some states, there were huge protests. In the UK, they just let it all go ahead.

When the wanted to raise the retirement age to 62 in France.. huge protests. The current 'leader' (I'd like to say 'idiot') has reversed this decision. The UK just let the increase to 66/67 go through.

Don't think it's just Germans that don't always protest.

Not sure I'd agree about that. When they wanted to introduce university fees in some states, there were huge protests.

Slightly different, education is more of a sacred cow in Germany, the various state Governments probably could have gotten away with it if they'd just told voters that taxes needed to be raised in order to preserve free university education, but because they mentioned a direct levy it caused an outcry.

When the wanted to raise the retirement age to 62 in France.. huge protests. The current 'leader' (I'd like to say 'idiot') has reversed this decision. The UK just let the increase to 66/67 go through.

You're using those examples out of context, the UK has gone back in to recession and has the IMF nagging it constantly to reduce its national debt, everyone in the country recognises that the economy there is in a dire state, and the effects of an aging population can (possibly) be mitigated by raising the retirement age. Comparing Germany's economy to the UK one really is like comparing apples to oranges.

Oh, I agree with the raising of the retirement age in the UK. It has to happen. It's just that people there didn't whinge about it as much as they do over here. They are discussing raising the age slightly in Germany.. over the next.. oh, I don't know.. more than a decade. I commented on it on another website. They tread softly there.

I'm always amazed about the ways Germans protest. They have no problems with companies like the GEZ obtaining your private data and sending you a bill for €18 every month, or SCHUFA having access to all your financial details but when it comes to having an image of your house/apartment posted online to something like Google Maps they get very worked up :huh:

...together with the major parties in the current opposition. Hence "I'll vote for the others" will not have any effect.

It seems like political office would be more fierce and politicians would cater to their constituents.

Below is taken from Wikipedia and I'm not checking sources so taking it at face value.

In the year 2010, the GEZ collected €7,65 billion in license fees for the state broadcasting institutions, while generating costs of €160,5 million, which is about 2.13% of total revenue

Where is the rest of that money going? For that amount on money + the money that they get from advertising now why aren't they producing hollywood type movies?

8.6 billion yoyos for public broadcasters (216 euros times 40million households)... WTF?! I think it's fine that Mr Jauch earns a proper wage, but what are they gonna do? Cast Markus Lanz in gold?

"Advertising and sponsorship are other important sources of funding.

I posted this before, but my link contains the budget for ZDF only. The budget for ARD is similar. Then you have WDR, NDR, MDR, BR, etc. They all get a piece of the pie.

A show like "Wetten dass..." (ZDF) runs into the millions per year. The same for "Verstehen Sie Spaß?" on ARD. Then they have numerous live music festivals e.g. Schlager. I know that the ZDF has a team of about 40 people responsible for Teletext only. It explains why you can see almost live scoring for a match in Russia whereas Eurosport shows the result the next day, haha.

I posted this before, but my link contains the budget for ZDF only. The budget for ARD is similar. Then you have WDR, NDR, MDR, BR, etc. They all get a piece of the pie.

A show like "Wetten dass..." (ZDF) runs into the millions per year. The same for "Verstehen Sie Spaß?" on ARD. Then they have numerous live music festivals e.g. Schlager. I know that the ZDF has a team of about 40 people responsible for Teletext only. It explains why you can see almost live scoring for a match in Russia whereas Eurosport shows the result the next day, haha.

Fair enough, but that doesn't account for where the money is really going. The BBC have a lower license fee, and for that lower fee, they operate more TV channels, more Radio channels, more Internet sites, far more streaming services at far higher bandwidths and produce more productions - and all without the additional advertising revenue the German channels get as the BBC doesn't have any television or radio ads.

There are also less people in the UK paying the lower fee, yet they get so much more for their money.

Claus Kleber, who is presenting the news on ZDF, is earning €600.000 per year, apparently. This is where the money goes: high wages and big live shows. Which big live entertainment show does the BBC produce on a regular basis where big stars like Jennifer Lopez (BTW- she was on "Wetten dass.." last Saturday) do a performance? The budget of "Wetten dass.." seems to be unlimited if you look at the stars who appear there: Madonna, Mariah Carey, Sharika, etc. In the past they had Michael Jackson and Whitney Houston as well. They don't come for free :).

The budget of "Wetten dass.." seems to be unlimited if you look at the stars who appear there: Madonna, Mariah Carey, Sharika, etc. In the past they had Michael Jackson and Whitney Houston as well. They don't come for free .

Hrrmmm, I actually heard the opposite...

that most of the big U.S./International stars on Wettern Dass? are usually promoting a film/album etc are under contract from their respective studios and get very little cold hard cash??

according to my other half....

and get very little cold hard cash??

Poor them. Lets do a collection for those stars so they can afford a hotel room. We could call it GEZ.

If you want stars and sport results, then pay for it. Not make everyone pay. Including those who have an office with or without a internet connection. And self employed people who own a car must pay for the car.

Also, I thought Wetten Dass? is a joint production and broadcast in Switzerland and Austria so funding must come from additional sources?

BTW - I think the whole GEZ thing is a bunch of bullshit too and should be abolished.