TV license fees in Germany - Rundfunkbeitrag, formerly known as GEZ

1,789 posts in this topic

I don't use the service, and I refuse to pay. Simple as that.

That's why I like the Church Tax: you don't use the service? you don't pay, and nobody comes knocking on your door. If only the GEZ worked like that, too...

She actually was not confused. If you calculate €18 x 12 months, gives you €216 per year. Calculate that by 70 years and you get €15120

I fixed my original post to correct the error in my post.

This was in response to El Jeffo saying that Nina was confused about my post(he has since deleted that post). She clearly was not, I think El Jeffo was the one that was confused about nina's post.

EDIT: freaking A what is wrong with me today. So I have fixed my post once again to reflect per year instead of month.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/mediatechnologyandtelecoms/9594095/YouTube-takes-aim-at-broadcasters-with-60-new-channels.html

That looks like an interesting development. Not sure how legal it will be, though. I shall wait and see.

Oh stop bloody whining and pay the damn thing. You live in a foreign country so abide by its rules, laws, customs and pay the tax like the Germans have to. Either that or fuck off back to where you came from.

Ooh, hark at her, fortunately, we don't all come from Scotland. Och aye the noo!

The purpose of public television is to provide the information independent from the government. Well, that's what you are supposed to pay for, not for the actual service but for the possibility to get an independent and reliable information about whatever is happening in the country.

So, it is a tax and an obligation of the citizen to pay it. But what I don't get is why it is collected by mafia-like organization and not by the Finanzamt? The lawyer from Passau has their point.

The purpose of public television is to provide you with sesame street.

I agree. I love PBS. :)

She actually was not confused. If you calculate €18 x 12 months, gives you €216 per month...

I fixed my original post to correct the error in my post.

Are you sure? Are you really sure? Are you really really sure? Maybe you need to make a third correction.

I don't like the GEZ but compared to the amount of taxes I pay as a motorist and the % of that which is actually used for the benefit of motorists, eg quality of the fucking roads, signage, street-lighting, etc., the GEZ is a minor irritant.

If you organize a march to protest the way the government spends my money, in particular how it screws motorists, then I'll join you.

PS: I'm up for an anti-bikeist march anytime. ;)

OK I hope that now I am really sure. Thanks for pointing out the error of my ways. :D

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/mediatechnologyandtelecoms/9594095/YouTube-takes-aim-at-broadcasters-with-60-new-channels.html

That looks like an interesting development. Not sure how legal it will be, though. I shall wait and see.

It's legal. It's all in partnership with the content providers. The BBC has even been promoting this on their own sites today.

4oD has had a "channel" on Youtube for a while now. Just a pity they are all Flash versions due to hardcore DRM which normal Youtube doesn't require, so it restricts it on many devices.

The meldeamts arent exactly competent at the best of times.

They're only incompetent when you need something.

When they want something from you they're the height of efficiency.

And even on rare occasions that something I want to watch (like the Wire, Mad Men or a National Geographic documentary, for example) is shown on German TV, half the original content - the audio - is stripped out and replaced by a couple of monotone German voice-over "artists" in a broom cupboard.

THAT's what really pisses me off about German TV.

And those shows are on channels that receive no money from the GEZ anyway which makes it even worse :)

Most of the time it's not even stripped out, just recorded over at a level loud enough to compete with the original soundtrack, so neither the original audio or the dubbed audio is discernible.

Which is why non subscription channels don't have dual sound tracks.They do it the cheapest way possible which leaves it with just 1 sound track.

So basically I'm paying so the pensioners and HartzIV people can watch uninterupted TV. Well that's great then.

Nope because Harz IV TV around here is associated with RTL and RTL II and they get nothing from the GEZ :)

Oh stop bloody whining and pay the damn thing. You live in a foreign country so abide by its rules, laws, customs and pay the tax like the Germans have to. Either that or fuck off back to where you came from. God I hate the "but I never use it.. " brigade. Big fucking deal. Pay up or shut up or fuck off home. Yes I had a really shit day at work. But I still mean it all.

Yes exactly.Because we live here,pay our taxes here and help the economy here we should all walk round like mindless fucking morons agreeing with everything the govt does like someone out of 1984.

But then you'd miss out on hearing the same dubbed voice for 4 out of every 5 black actors. From a show that was bought cheap from the US because it was already cancelled.

I used to watch American Chopper on DMAX and I would swear the bloke who dubbed the father also dubs every other white middle aged man on TV.

Oh thank god, so I'm not the only one (apart from my 2 German flatmates) who thinks German TV is shite...I found out about 3 weeks ago that we can get CNN International on our TV (god knows how, we're a tiny student WG with an ancient 90s tv) and ever since I put it on that, the channel hasn't been changed. Seriously, I watch the fucking Piers Morgan Show (god what an ARSEFACE he is, sorry for inflicting him on you, America) when I eat breakfast because it's better than any of the rubbish that's on German tv (who the hell thinks of programs like "Shopping Queen" and "Verklag mich doch" such crap). And I swear I'd rather chop my own toes off with a rusty claw hammer than watch another German documentary, I somehow got through one about rural communities in northern Italy the other day and whilst the camera shots were nice, the voiced content was so boring they could've used it to torture the terrorist suspects in Guantanamo Bay.

Sorry for the mini-rant there, I guess the slight upside for me is that the cost will be split over 3 of us (or will they charge the fee to each individual in the house?). Also does anyone know if the payment collection procedure will be the same? As at the moment it seems you can just tell them to fuck off if they come to the door as they have no legal right to enter (not saying that from entirely 1st hand experience...*shifty look*)

And I swear I'd rather chop my own toes off with a rusty claw hammer than watch another German documentary, I somehow got through one about rural communities in northern Italy the other day and whilst the camera shots were nice, the voiced content was so boring they could've used it to torture the terrorist suspects in Guantanamo Bay.

That's the biggest problem with me. Whether on the radio or on TV, the Germans can take a subject that I find really interesting but the way they talk, well, I just want to weep and slash my wrists from sheer boredom. And yet, in the days before the Internet, when all I could get was BBC Radio 4 long wave, I would listen to hours and hours of the cricket commentary as they could make it sound as though they were having a good time.

Such boring, boring voices. I even tried a play on CD once - with Nadja Tiller and Walter Giller, a couple that have been together since the 50s. If that was acting, then I should be able to win Oscars from now to eternity. Horrendously terrible, unclear, simply awful. And I've been a fan of the radio since I got my first battery operated one when I was a bout 10 and used to listen to it under the bedcovers at night, so it's not like I'm unused to listening to radio drama.

Well they can pass the law but I see a few legal cases coming up protesting this when people start to have to pay. Thats a lot of money per year to pay. They probably calculated average hours a day TV per person and then went with that. If (just taking it out of the air) the average person/family watches 2 hours a day so about 62 hours a month thats about 30 cents an hour. We watch about 1-2 hours a week and that's my child watching children's TV.

Are you sure? Are you really sure? Are you really really sure? Maybe you need to make a third correction.

I don't like the GEZ but compared to the amount of taxes I pay as a motorist and the % of that which is actually used for the benefit of motorists, eg quality of the fucking roads, signage, street-lighting, etc., the GEZ is a minor irritant.

If you organize a march to protest the way the government spends my money, in particular how it screws motorists, then I'll join you.

PS: I'm up for an anti-bikeist march anytime.

What? motorists have it REALLY easy in Germany. Everything you pay is something between 100 and 400 EUR a year in car taxes and you can use the wonderful Autobahn free of charge.

I just came from holidays, and after paying vignettes AND motorway tolls going up to 13 EUR for 130km of motorway I really like it here.

I propose we get at least a Toytown wide petition going on this, let's see who cracks first..

What? motorists have it REALLY easy in Germany. Everything you pay is something between 100 and 400 EUR a year in car taxes and you can use the wonderful Autobahn free of charge.

I just came from holidays, and after paying vignettes AND motorway tolls going up to 13 EUR for 130km of motorway I really like it here.

I'd like to pay 100-400 road tax per year! And that is not the only tax you pay as a motorist: hefty fuel taxes cost you much more than the road tax and if you take changing tires seriously you're looking at ~800-1200 per set (including rims) in additional cost spread over maybe 2 seasons. Now some people are also considering creating a 'city centre tax' for vehicles entering the Innenstadt in many German cities, like in London.

And where are the wonderful Autobahns??? They're in a pitiful state, at least in the northern half of Germany.

Now some people are also considering creating a 'city centre tax' for vehicles entering the Innenstadt in many German cities

If this were the USA or a similar country with third world standards of public transport then you could justifiably argue against taxation on inner city car use, but in Germany? Please.

I'd like to pay 100-400 road tax per year! And that is not the only tax you pay as a motorist: hefty fuel taxes cost you much more than the road tax and if you take changing tires seriously you're looking at ~800-1200 per set (including rims) in additional cost spread over maybe 2 seasons. Now some people are also considering creating a 'city centre tax' for vehicles entering the Innenstadt in many German cities, like in London.And where are the wonderful Autobahns??? They're in a pitiful state, at least in the northern half of Germany.

You can't really compare this to GEZ. GEZ is charging people for something that might not even be using at all. Where as you are being taxed for using your car on the German roads. Be thankful you don't have to pay toll fees, That can quickly add up to way more than €100-€400 per year. And as far as in tax on fuel. Well buddy that's just the price you pay, no one is forcing you to put fuel in your car, no one is forcing you to even have a car.

I'd like to pay 100-400 road tax per year! And that is not the only tax you pay as a motorist: hefty fuel taxes cost you much more than the road tax and if you take changing tires seriously you're looking at ~800-1200 per set (including rims) in additional cost spread over maybe 2 seasons. Now some people are also considering creating a 'city centre tax' for vehicles entering the Innenstadt in many German cities, like in London.

And where are the wonderful Autobahns??? They're in a pitiful state, at least in the northern half of Germany.

I think every first world country pays more or less the same fuel taxes. And who change tires and rims every 2 seasons? Do you drive 100.000 km a year? And which kind of tires do you buy? Your prices sound very expensive for an average car. I bought a new set of winter tires (Vredestein) with new alu rims for 1200 EUR last season, but our car is a SUV with giant 19" wheels. Anyway, what's the point? Are you going to complain you have to buy new shoes if you walk a lot?