TV license fees in Germany - Rundfunkbeitrag, formerly known as GEZ

1,789 posts in this topic

Did anyone mention the BBC World Service?

And the fact that they have English learning resources on their website?

Don't you worry, they'll be in touch for sure.

online petition zimmer referred to earlier. Can we do something with that? Would that register our concerns to the authorities? Are Germans(masses) aware of this development? Why would somebody put up with this crap? Why the ones who ok'd this find it so difficult to comprehend the stupidity of this? Is there a voluntary decision of increase of 100 Euros in everybody's pay that I missed that the Gov. is trying to reduce to 82 Euros with this? Why Why Why Why????

That bureaucracy doesn't have much of a negative impact on the general public in the UK, unlike the GEZ here. Every organisation has to have a certain level of bureaucracy to function, it's when it starts to define that organisation that it becomes a problem.

The quality of BBC content knocks that of pretty much any other country in the world in to a cocked hat, and that's not just me saying that as a Brit who grew up with shows like Dr Who and Attenborough documentaries, that's my opinion as someone who has lived in other countries where the TV is so bad, it's like having your brains liquidized and fed back to you through a straw.

Give me a 40 year old episode of Fawlty Towers over a present day talk show with Stefan Raab any time.

Did anyone mention the BBC World Service?

And the fact that they have English learning resources on their website?

You are totally correct. I have updated that list of mine, and included a few more things that come to mind.

The thing is, the BBC is just so massive, and people get so much from their license fee in comparison to what they get in Germany, it is just staggering, and I am bound to miss many things out :o)

Ironically, a lot of British people abroad would willingly pay the TV licence to get hold of the TV programmes. I think the BBC is missing out here. People living abroad could pay to use the iPlayer service. Either per programme or per year.

I plan to get on their nerves with endless enquiries about english language programming. Probably totally pointless, but if it makes me feel better, what the hey. Would be great to see their systems in meltdown unable to cope with fee payer demands. But i want to get my moneys worth out of them and see them work for it in some way, however futile that may be.

There really needs to be some mass civil disobedience for this law to be reversed, there were riots in England when the tories attempted to introduce the Poll Tax, which was pretty much the same thing, a flat rate tax regardless of your income.

I plan to get on their nerves with endless enquiries about english language programming. Probably totally pointless, but if it makes me feel better, what the hey.

But then you'd miss out on hearing the same dubbed voice for 4 out of every 5 black actors. From a show that was bought cheap from the US because it was already cancelled.

And that tried and true Primetime formula of some type of talent show...followed by a show where the people from that talent show talk about what just happened on that talent show...followed by a late show where the host makes fun of all of those shows while inviting the same people that were on the previous show talking about the previous show...to talk on their show.

Ironically, a lot of British people abroad would willingly pay the TV licence to get hold of the TV programmes.

I'm a firm believer that if you use a service, you should pay for it. The few times I've ridden "schwarz" on the public transportation system has either been simply forgetting to get the monthly ticket, or not realising that I was entering a zone not on my ticket. If I watched ARD, ZDF, etc., or listened to the radio, I'd have absolutely no problem with paying the fee.

My problem is that I have to pay for something that I technically could use, but didn't. Reminds me of that joke about the old lady who deducted 200 bucks from her hotel bill for sex with the manager, and when the hotel manager said, I didn't have sex with you, replied, yeah, but you could have...

There really needs to be some mass civil disobedience for this law to be reversed, there were riots in England when the tories attempted to introduce the Poll Tax, ...

That only happens here if they increase the beer tax :D

My problem is that I have to pay for something that I technically could use, but didn't. Reminds me of that joke about the old lady who deducted 200 bucks from her hotel bill for sex with the manager, and when the hotel manager said, I didn't have sex with you, replied, yeah, but you could have...

Like I keep saying that I'd like child benefit for three children. I don't have three children, but I could have had them by now.

I do wonder how they go about finding who the current occupant is. The meldeamts arent exactly competent at the best of times. Thetes those people who move around a lot. Theres those people who anmeld waay later than they should do. Thetes also probably a lot of people who dont reregister if they only move down the corridor or across the quad etc...I doubt they are really offering an amnesty for those who didnt previously pay.

Maybe the are relying on informants and busybody neighbors who like to stick their nose in everything and feel a sense of being important etc.

It seems very contradictory - it is marketed as household based, so on the surface sounds less preoccupied with personal details, but a lot of the news articles discuss they will be even more prying.

Id rather just walk into an office and get something stamped like occupant apt 12 paid full calendar year 2013, because they are just going to make life difficult for the named person whenever they deregister. Theoretically they have your money, so they shouldnt be bothered if you call yourself the occupant or joe bloggs and leave it at that - you can show proof of payment for the household, so end of story.

Ironically, a lot of British people abroad would willingly pay the TV licence to get hold of the TV programmes. I think the BBC is missing out here. People living abroad could pay to use the iPlayer service. Either per programme or per year.

The BBC are fully aware of this, and they do have something in the pipeline. The first signs of it, are the global BBC iPlayer, which differs drastically from the UK version - in most cases, in a bad way.

The global version has a subscription fee and the idea is to fill it with a large back catalogue and current shows, much like their plans for the UK version. Except that at the moment, at least the current shows section is quite poor in comparison, making it not too attractive to most people overseas.

In a global world, people don't want to wait any more for content, whatever it is. So, people expect to be able to watch the same material wherever they are, and technically, if they are paying for it - which they are, I agree with them.

The only catch is the way the global television world works. Broadcasters buy content from content providers. Many of the Broadcasters are producers as well and the BBC is no exception. So, it has licensing agreements with broadcasters, but broadcasters would want to pay a lot less if they are not the only people in town showing the content. The BBC on the other hand wants to make as much money as it can from selling it's content. So, it's a fine line to set one price for 3rd party broadcasters, and what it can also show on it's own global service.

I don't like it either (which is why I make sure I get the original) but I can understand their reasoning.

I wouldn't be surprised though that in the end, their final goal would be the end broadcasters for all their shows. If they get enough global subscribers, they won't need to sell their material to foreign "English" language broadcasters anymore - at least not for high costs.

That only happens here if they increase the beer tax

Sad but true.

This whole new system is really a freaking mess. I find it ridiculous that we already pay to have "cable" service which carries all these channels, but on top of that we have to pay another €18 for the same channels we have already paid Kabel Deutschland, Deutsche Telekom, Vodafone etc... for.

I see GEZ spending time sending letters to vacant apartments. Which brings a thought. If apartments which are owned by a company are empty, who gets to pay the GEZ bill for the apartment. For example there are some companies here that own a few hundred apartments all in the same area. When that apartment becomes empty, do they have to pay the GEZ for it. Cause I highly doubt that GEZ folks are smart enough to keep up with who is living where.

IF this fee was €5 per month, I would not mind it as much, but at this rate, we will be paying over €200 a year for some crappy service most of us on here do not even watch.

Edited to reflect €200/year instead of €200/month

If anyone knows of any marches that are going on against this new fee, please post it on here.

Oh stop bloody whining and pay the damn thing. You live in a foreign country so abide by its rules, laws, customs and pay the tax like the Germans have to. Either that or fuck off back to where you came from. God I hate the "but I never use it.. " brigade. Big fucking deal. Pay up or shut up or fuck off home. Yes I had a really shit day at work. But I still mean it all.

IF this fee was €5 per month, I would not mind it as much, but at this rate, we will be paying over €200 a month for some crappy service most of us on here do not even watch.

Imagine.. between the age of 20 and 90, you'd be paying over EUR 15,000 - and that's at today's price.

Oh stop bloody whining and pay the damn thing. You live in a foreign country so abide by its rules, laws, customs and pay the tax like the Germans have to. Either that or fuck off back to where you came from. God I hate the "but I never use it.. " brigade. Big fucking deal. Pay up or shut up or fuck off home. Yes I had a really shit day at work. But I still mean it all.

Oh go FUCK YOURSELF.

I was going to actually reply with some more stuff, but I see that a fucking twat like you is not worth the effort. Try getting that fucking pole out your ass. Dumb fuck.