TV license fees in Germany - Rundfunkbeitrag, formerly known as GEZ

1,789 posts in this topic

Tonight on BBC1 at 8 pm: EastEnders

That's a crap attempt at making a point.

Ah that fine dramatic spectacle that is Eastenders, it's so good it almost justifies the BBC covering up paedophilia. The license fee, you can't whack it can you.

Tonight on BBC1 at 8 pm: EastEnders

8 GMT. C'mon Luke, gotta be specific or else people living in this time zone might miss it!

All signs seem to point in the direction that this is going to be challenged in court and overturned. Due to the across-the-board nature of the "fee", lawyers can and will argue that this is nothing but a tax.

Any news articles on this? I don't know any German(rely on google translate) so I can't find any articles on whether or not it will be overturned or if there is even a movement for it. As I don't understand the language, and don't want their channels, I don't see why I should have to pay for it. And honestly, after paying for the internet (18 euros for the connection + 20 euros for the actual internet package), I cannot afford to spend another 18 euros a month on a tv license for something I don't use.

Are they abolishing the internet and radio license all together? This also seems to be unclear....

8 GMT. C'mon Luke, gotta be specific or else people living in this time zone might miss it!

8 GMT +1 actually. GMT +2 here.

Any news articles on this?

Here and here you go.

Ermano Geuer of the University of Passau has filed a case in front of the Bavarian Constitutional Court.

He argues that since everybody will have to pay it, it is really a tax and would have to be declared as such.

He also says that people who don't own any modern communication technology (though by their definition even a mobile phone is such a beast) shouldn't have to pay.

But he will most probably lose the case.

Just wondering, can we petition for this to be scraped?? I don't watch German TV nor radio. Since there is enough foreigners on this forum that do not watch TV or listen to radio mainly because of the language and contents, can we petition like banning smoking indoors etc.? How do we file for petition in this country?

I love the GEZ. Even though everyone hates them they just get on and do their job with a big smile on their faces. I could just hug them. All of them.

GEZ, GEMA, the state collecting taxation on behalf of the churches. How do you thinking you're going to change it? This is Germany with the Teutonic mentality. It would be easier to tow the planet Mars across the sky with a rope grit between your teeth.

Here and here you go.

Ermano Geuer of the University of Passau has filed a case in front of the Bavarian Constitutional Court.

He argues that since everybody will have to pay it, it is really a tax and would have to be declared as such.

He also says that people who don't own any modern communication technology (though by their definition even a mobile phone is such a beast) shouldn't have to pay.

But he will most probably lose the case.

thanks for the link and interesting article! the second link posted was actually quite comical to me. they said that "Mit der Ausfragerei an der Haustür ist künftig Schluss!" which google translated as that people will no longer come to your door knocking to inspect your apartment (i think that's what google meant). However, in an article posted earlier, the GEZ is hiring 00 more people and will mainly be for going door to door. How does this even make sense?? isn't the whole point of the 'tax' to not have these people go door to door?

Also - I'm still unclear, can we no longer pay for just an internet and radio license??

I do like the idea of a petition for foreigners, but I don't know how far that would actually go...

They have to somehow justify their continued existence now.

So by pretending that they need more inspectors, they're trying to throw everyone off the fact, that not only do they not need these additional 400 people, but could sack all the existing inspectors.

Their coffers are going to be filled even more now, and they have to do something with the money...

Also - I'm still unclear, can we no longer pay for just an internet and radio license??

Nope.

From 2013 it will be that flat fee, even if you are a hermit living at the top of a mountain with no possible way of accessing German TV or radio.

They still have to find me, right? I actually registered my Munich address, so not so hard to do, but I'm not in any hurry to sign up for the 18 bucks a month to play my playstation and *horror* use my laptop.

no they don't have to find you - that's the whole point and why people are mad! they will simply automatically bill you in the mail or however they choose to do it. There's no need for someone to go door to door to find you!

They still have to find me, right? I actually registered my Munich address, so not so hard to do, but I'm not in any hurry to sign up for the 18 bucks a month to play my playstation and *horror* use my laptop.

Bad news, sorry (source):

"Für eine Zweitwohnung ist ein eigener Rundfunkbeitrag zu zahlen."

You have to pay a separate flat fee for the second domicile.

Bad news, sorry (source):

"Für eine Zweitwohnung ist ein eigener Rundfunkbeitrag zu zahlen."

You have to pay a separate flat fee for the second domicile.

I'm aware of that. I'm supposed to have paid it for the past umpteen years. I'm just wondering what I now have to do. Sign up for the new and improved system, or just sit back and wait?

Of course it is the same in principle, but at least I feel one gets a lot more for their money with the BBC than those in Germany do with their license fee, and that is not including the fact that the UK license fee is lower.

For that lower fee, you get:

I'm glad that somebody took the time to show exactly why the BBC is so awesome, there is no other media organisation like it in the world and it does a very good job of providing positive PR for Britain and the British as a whole, (recent events notwithstanding.)