New petition - Rundfunkbeitrag, formerly known as GEZ

1,803 posts in this topic

Ah fraufruit..I just got today my Soli payment notice from the Finanzamt in Hamburg for 2011! And the provisional payment for 2012..and the pre-payments for 2013...

So part of my tax in the UK before coming here was to keep British soldiers here pre-unification--now it´s for,erm, what was it now? How long is it going to be called the Neue Bundesländer? AARGH!! :ph34r:

( By the way, the rest of the tax bill makes me weep...). All those vodka drinkers in my local park don´t care...

I hate tax but I know it´s needed to keep civilisation rolling. I´m happy to pay for schools, the general infrastructure..the works..but not for people who don´t care about improving themselves and feel entitlement...I know, getting older etc..

I don't mind the Solidaritätszuschlag, I don't mind general taxes, I don't even mind the Pflegeverischerung as i can see that that is necessary.

I do mind paying for something that is not necessary - such as a TV I have never needed. Even when I lived in London for four years I didn't have a TV. It was ... back home from the office in Chiswick at 6.15. Tae-kwon-do on Mondays and Wednesdays from 7-8 (or was it to 8.30?). Swimming lesson on Mondays from 9 p.m. (or was it even later?) Tuesdays.. can't remember. Thursdays definitely ice-skating. Friday.. swimming practice, also tried out netball, yoga and line-dancing. Saturday morning - ice-skating. Later also some voluntary work from 9 to 11 or so. Saturday evening - cinema or just staying at home. Oh, and for a while I did a course at the Goethe Institute from 9 a.m. on Saturday morning. On Sunday morning - ice-skating. Often also a swim later in the day.

Oh.. and I also fitted Open University courses in. And was a member of Hackney and Chiswick libraries as well as the Goethe Instut Library.

When do I ever need a TV?

According to the BBC 13000 British households still own a black&white TV, which means they only need to pay £ 49 per annum for a license fee instead of £ 145,50 for a colour TV. Perhaps somebody can introduce this in Germany as well to pay less fees :)

PS- I didn't know that b&w TV's still existed :)

I know, fraufruit. Sometimes I wonder if I can't just do less. But I can't. One has one life and it's certainly be interesting so far. Not always easy, but always interesting.

The worst thing is that there aren't enough hours in the day for me. And I would love to have the time and the money to do and learn more.

Dear SPD,

I know how you can win the upcoming election.

Promise to disband the GEZ and conduct a major overhaul of GEMA.

Regards,

Hazza

We had an all encompassing thing like this once in The UK.

It was called The Poll Tax.

I wonder if history will repeat, and the female leader gets stabbed in the back by her own greasy cronies?

The f*ckers debited my account this morning to the tune of € 41.72 for 12/2012 - 02/2013. Although I knew it was inevitable, I'm not a happy camper.

That's only € 13.91 a month though - what happened to the vaunted € 18/month?

They charged you €5.76 for December - I assume for radio/computer/smartphone only?

January and February are €17.98 each.

Ah right - thanks for clueing me in on that. I was also ready to start steaming because they debited for December already, and the new system is supposed to start in January. I have a radio and a computer, which explains the € 41.72.

So the.frollein is paying over 12 bucks more each month. Is there a constellation under the new system in which someone would wind up paying less each month, than they did under the old system? Sorry if this has already been asked and answered over the past 10 pages.

We will pay less as I was paying in full (mug that I am - we don't listen to German radio or own a TV, but have computers coming out of our ears - in my head it is a tax on living here, so I pay) and my gent was paying for a car radio. As we are not married, we both had to pay. Wrote to them in early December to inform them about the change to one account, no reply yet.

Ah yes. I hadn't thought about households that formerly required more than one of the occupants to pay. Thanks for that.

We will pay less as I was paying in full (mug that I am - we don't listen to German radio or own a TV, but have computers coming out of our ears - in my head it is a tax on living here, so I pay) and my gent was paying for a car radio. As we are not married, we both had to pay. Wrote to them in early December to inform them about the change to one account, no reply yet.

Except that if you live together you didn't need to pay twice. There was an option on the form they sent which allowed someone to register with the number of someone else that was already paying. At least, last year they allowed this, I do not know when this started.

There are quite a few households who now (should) pay less in total - people with lodgers, adult children, living together, apartment shares. Many small businesses will also pay a lot less, as previously they had to register and pay for every individual TV and radio. Now they pay a fixed fee according to number of employees.

People on social benefits do not have to pay as well as people with certain disabilities.

Hey Leon are you saying pensioners don't have to pay & people with disabilities?

By social benefits they mean Sozialhilfe and Hartz IV

People who are blind and/or deaf either don't have to pay or pay a reduced fee depending on the exact disability.