New petition - Rundfunkbeitrag, formerly known as GEZ

1,790 posts in this topic

Looks like they are pretty comfortable in the legal department as they are hiring 400 new field agents to ferret out non-compliant households/individuals.

GEZ will Bürger künftig noch stärker ausforschen

Die GEZ stockt sogar auf und stellt für den Zeitraum der Umstellung befristet bis 2015 rund 400 neue Mitarbeiter ein.

Sogar für den Personalaufbau wird Personal aufgebaut. Aktuell sucht die GEZ per Stellenausschreibung "eine/n Produktionsplaner/in".

The GEZ is just a tax

Well, from next year this will definitely be the case. What bugs me though is that it won't just be collected as a tax. Imagine how much money would be saved if the GEZ money collecting section was just entirely disbanded.

Edited to add: cross-posted with the post above but that just reinforces what I was saying I reckon.

What makes this really burn is when you compare the UK license fee with the GEZ fee, and look at what you get on UK terrestrial TV compared to what's on offer here. Admittedly German TV has improved slightly in the last few years, Sat3 and Arte show some good stuff, but the rest is mostly shite - turgid 'culture' shows which usually involve a bunch of middle aged women talking earnestly about something without a glimmer of humour or lightheartedness, endless Krimis, inane soaps and shopping channels.

Which organization, if any, regulates the GEZ?

"The GEZ is just a tax"

Of course it is. I just wish the bureaucrats would have the basic decency not to insult my intelligence by dressing it up or justifying it with spurious reasons. They need more money, the government is backing them up, and I'm obliged to pay them on pain of financial ruin or imprisonment. What a bargain. And people wonder why German TV sucks so much - well what incentive do they have to produce quality programming when you can just lock up your audience? It's certainly easier than producing proper TV.

I wonder why more Germans aren't up in arms or out protesting on the streets against bailing out the entirety of southern Europe and yet they put up with that, and if they'll put up with that I guess they'll put up with GEZ arseholes as well.

Ah I'm a fan of Old King Cole myself. I bet he didn't levy such absurd taxes on his people as the GEZ either.

When was the last time this huge money-raking scheme actually resulted in series that are snapped up by tens of countries? I came across a Canadian series the other week called Murdoch Mysteries. If my memory serves me correctly, it's been sold to all around the world. The Killing was a recent hit from Scandinavia of all places. Like Wallander. What German TV series has taken, say, the UK by storm recently?

All that money and for what? Oh, yes, so they can buy football rights.

Ah Nina, I guess you haven't stumbled across the creme de la creme of German TV that is "Liebe und Land" (sounds like a 1940's radio show...) where various bavarian farmers are shown wearing straw hats and driving tractors, and then ZDF sets them up with some bint from Dusseldorf. A surefire export if ever there was. There's another show about "Messys" or obsessive-compulsive hoarders too... it's a blatant rip-off of various US and UK shows... the one thing I always notice - before switching the TV off - is how the Harz IVers invariably have an apartment three times the size of my own, privately rented, apartment.

216€ a year. thieving bastards, for what?

rubbish programs with loads of adverts that they get loads of money for anyway.

This is the bit that I find ridiculous is that the fee is for ZDF,ARD and the local channels.However they all show commercials yet they have the nerve to demand state funding.

Also if you have an internet connection then you are liable to pay the fee even if you don't have a TV because it is possible to watch over the internet.

Sky is also available on the internet but I don't have to pay their fees because they actually lock out non subscribers but I presume it would be too much trouble for the GEZ to set up some sort of database to lock out non payers.

It reeks of the same sort of idiocy as GEMA where they don't have to prove you watch they just say you do and you can do absolutely nothing about it it is up to you to pay.

The wifes cousin is an obergerichtvollzier and he says in his 30 odd years of being one that he has only ever known 1 person who has come out on top against the GEZ.

In the UK each household pays £145.50(ca. €180) per year as television licence. What's the difference? Also, on ARD and ZDF the advertising is very limited. Personally, I always watch the German news, because I live and work here, so I want to know what's going on in the country. Then, I watch the Bundesliga and some informative consumer programmes.

.. the one thing I always notice - before switching the TV off - is how the Harz IVers invariably have an apartment three times the size of my own, privately rented, apartment.

I note the same thing about the people in the UK. One woman who couldn't cook to save her life had a huge kitchen with a double cooker (six rings at least) all fitted out - when I have often had two rings and a fridge, or no fridge and two rings in a shared room; or a kitchen less than 2 square metres.

I see people in the UK with flats bigger than mine and yet I work all the hours I can get and they are unemployed. Amazing.

In the UK each household pays £145.50(ca. €180) per year as television licence. What's the difference? Also, on ARD and ZDF the advertising is very limited. Personally, I always watch the German news, because I live and work here, so I want to know what's going on in the country. Then, I watch the Bundesliga and some informative consumer programmes.

In the UK, you can ask the authorities into your home and prove you don't have a TV. Radios are free of licences.

In order to keep up with what is happening here, I read the papers and magazines. I dip into Bild, Die Zeit, the Rheinische Post (those are the main ones) and Stern, Spiegel and Wirtschaftswoche. As well as Brigitte. Oh, and Bild der Frau (nothing like Bild) and Freizeit Revue for the vocabulary-expanding crosswords.

Funnily enough many people in the UK don't realise that the license fee collectors have to be invited in, to actually come into your house and search for a TV would require a warrant, but they play on people's trusting ignorance of such matters to rake in as much money as possible. I don't know how the details of the equivalent GEZ situation in Germany, I imagine it's something along the lines of a functionary turning up on your doorstep and demanding the money, and if you fail to pay they send you to Guantanamo Bay.

I currently do not pay GEZ, and wonder what I should do from Jan 2013. I cannot find any information on changes for 2013 on the GEZ website, so my assumption is that I simply need to signup before 1st Jan 2013 and pay the cash???

I actually don't mind everyone having to pay for state run media. For me, this no different to paying for other state services that are "good for society", without every individual who pays for it necessarily receiving the benefit.

However, the way they do it here is ridiculous.

If they're going to insist that all households pay, then they could dismantle this entire organisation, collect the fee through the tax system and ensure that with the lower collection overhead, either the price goes down per household, or the programming becomes excellent. Instead, there's a whole lot of money leaking into the beurocratic black hole that is the GEZ.

There should be some sort of an enquiry done to determine on what grounds the GEZ have of creating even more jobs out of this change in regulations. I thought that the whole idea of collecting from every household was to simplify things and make this cheaper...

In the UK each household pays £145.50(ca. €180) per year as television licence. What's the difference?

Compared to 216€ a year in Germany.

The difference is the BBC, simply, there is no advertising shown, at all on any of the 8 or 9 BBC tv channels, and the dozen or so radio stations.