Need temporary Internet help (fastest possible)

41 posts in this topic

i grew up on Ramstein, i work in UK and parents are in Homburg Saar area and i visit twice a year and i use Mifi when i'm here. Dads wifi is non existant!!  Anyway, i have been using 3 UK but i've had enough of them. As soon as you try to top up nothing happens, you contact them and some blockage is in place, blah blah, i am leaving them. i am with Vodafone for mostly everything so i wondered if i get a Vodafone Mifi would it be better using a German sim when i'm here or UK sim? i am assuming it needs to be unlocked as in btw Vodafone UK & Vodafone Germany??? 

much appreciated

kim

Vodafone used to have a Gigacube option where you could just pay for the months you were using it but I don't see it on their page anymore.  If you did this on a monthly contract, you would have at least a 2 year contract at 35€ a month but your parents would have internet.  Do you think they would use it though?

Other than that, Aldi prepaid for example gets you 7GB for 4 weeks for 15€.  If it's not enough, you can re-fill for another 15€ and get 6GB more.

9 minutes ago, LeonG said:

Vodafone used to have a Gigacube option where you could just pay for the months you were using it but I don't see it on their page anymore.  If you did this on a monthly contract, you would have at least a 2 year contract at 35€ a month but your parents would have internet.  Do you think they would use it though?

No... The Gigacube had a weird contract..  its was 35 a month if you used it but if you didnt use it for a month, then the price was reduced to 19€ or somesuch.. ( I had/have one somewhere, I could rout out the contract if needed)

As will all of Kimlis posts, they are very vague and we never get to the source of a problem...    She says her parents Wifi is "Non existant".. but we dont really know what she means by "WiFi"...  Does she mean Wifi from her fathers router ( If he actually has one) Or does she actually mean 3/4g or LTE..  ?

I bet she just walks away from this issue too until she comes back to DE next time...     

Lets see!!   LOL

17 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

No... The Gigacube had a weird contract..  its was 35 a month if you used it but if you didnt use it for a month, then the price was reduced to 19€ or somesuch.. ( I had/have one somewhere, I could rout out the contract if needed)

I've been considering getting one since I'm always on the road and I could take it with me in case I'm staying somewhere where there is no WiFi. I think the last time I checked they were definitely having different subscription options but I don't see it anymore. Anyway if I did it I would use it to replace my current WiFi so I would be using it every month. 

Why aren't you using yours? Was there a problem with it?

1 hour ago, SpiderPig said:

https://zuhauseplus.vodafone.de/gigacube/

They promised it would work perfectly at my addrress... It was a disaster... They wouldnt let me out of the contract... 

Bastards

Yeah that's just typical in Germany. I had internet with Kabel D where I used to live. When I moved they said it wasn't a problem. Turned out that it was. I did get out of the contract but not immediately.

if you have money vodafone offerts 10 GB per day with 5 euros ... it expires after 24 hours. For 3 months will be around 450 euro. Its very fast with around 50 Mbps 4g+ speed all the time. No contract just a prepaid sim card. Iused it many times to quickly download 10+ gb games

I have had a gigacube for a few years. So things may have changed. It worked great when i use it and i only pay when i activate it for that month. I pay nothing when it is not used, but I bought the cube outright for around 100 euros if i remember correctly. Its been several years so plan could have changed.i even used it when i was in hospital for a week and they had no wifi

Folks,

I've got one of the GigaCube Flex that I signed up for last year.  I visit Berlin a couple times a year to check on an elderly family friend.  He does not have internet, and the GigaCube Flex work great.  I just checked and see it's still available.  Here's the link from the Vodafone.de website:

https://zuhauseplus.vodafone.de/gigacube-flex/#

The device cost 50 euro and it was another 50 euro to activate.  You are only charged when you use the device.  The monthly charge is 34.99 euro and you get 50Gb of data.  The billing cycle is fixed when you activate the device.  In my case, the plan ends on the 19th of each month.  If I were in Berlin and using the device between the 18th through the 20th,  I would be charged for both months since I cross the billing cycle.  There is no charge for months when you don't use it.  When I'm not in Berlin, I unplug it and put it back in the box.  You can also take the sim card out of the GigaCube and use it in a mobile hotspot. 

S.

2 hours ago, Shenandoah said:

You can also take the sim card out of the GigaCube and use it in a mobile hotspot. 

Will the charges be the same as if you used it in the Gigacube?

Jeba,

Yes, if you use the Vodafone GigaCube sim card in a mobile hotspot, the data you use will count against the monthly 50gb.  Data usage is measured from the sim card (which allows the cellular connection), not the GigaCube device.  

S.

I also found on google that some people have been using the gigacube sim card in other smaller more portable routers.

On 12/30/2019, 2:31:35, Kimla said:

i grew up on Ramstein, i work in UK and parents are in Homburg Saar area and i visit twice a year and i use Mifi when i'm here. Dads wifi is non existant!!  Anyway, i have been using 3 UK but i've had enough of them. As soon as you try to top up nothing happens, you contact them and some blockage is in place, blah blah, i am leaving them. i am with Vodafone for mostly everything so i wondered if i get a Vodafone Mifi would it be better using a German sim when i'm here or UK sim? i am assuming it needs to be unlocked as in btw Vodafone UK & Vodafone Germany??? 

much appreciated

kim

I have been using 3 for about 7 years now .. never had a problem .. never a blockage

I use a dual-sim phone, when I goto England I take out my German SIM and put my 3 SIM card in, and  the other way around.

I heard that if the SIM card is in the wrong country for more than 3 months it gets blocked, When you come back to Germany you have to take it out of the phone before you get to Germany, otherwiser f it does not see the UK for the next 3 months - then it will get blocked, as its the last country it sees - that starts the 3 month count down.

9 hours ago, yesterday said:

I heard that if the SIM card is in the wrong country for more than 3 months it gets blocked,

It can legally get blocked (after 4 months IIRC) - but that´s not necessarily the case with all providers. E. g. Pennymobil grants you a full year outside Germany.

spider pig i never walk away from tech issues:) its just that dad is stubborn and won't let me sort it out. he has worked & been in Germany for over 40 yrs yet my German is better (i went to school & HS & college in Germany). His wifi connects fine but does nothing.We went to a Vodafone shop so he could get the app but then he needed another pw to get into his account which is on a letter. i am going to see if dad managed this then i will contact Vodafone Germany myself explaining his connection. 

i also spoke some time ago about satellite at my dads and he needs someone to just turn the antenna. He has someone he knows to do it but hasn't. 

i just don't know what to do? if it was me i would've sorted all this out asap! 

Then his military licence he can't get converted to German - more time waiting on government offices!

i personally think when you retire from the military (DODDS) after 50 odd years someone should help these retirees because its like dumping them like a hot brick. And they are at a loss from losing AFN to God knows what else! 

if my mum after 50 yrs teaching could get onto Ramstein, she would sort this in a flash.  she is ringing & writing letters as she does! it is all a complete mess. i think because my dad is in his 70s he's given up on all this US Military civilian BS redtape. i wish my late brother was alive, he lived in Koln, died/drowned unknown caused, he would've helped because all this is on my shoulders. i will do it but i will have to make a list 1. Vodafone. its hard when you work for the Council, teach adults IT and back n forth to Germany trying to sort parents. i never give up so i will sort. 

my 3 mobile data did come through it was a long delay possibly due to New Years! they seem the best still. i will look into Congstar as well. 

thank you everyone. i listen and take in everything so i am researching.... 

Excuses.. Just excuses.. 

It really sounds like you want internet and decent TV when you come to visit... 

When you are snuggled up in you home I'm Manchester.. You never worry about them!