Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Most unfavorite German words

49 posts in this topic

In my humble opinion (German-native speaker) "unpronounceable" itself is really unpronounceable. Like "sycophancy" - I learned it at school, never used it, still don't know how to pronounce it, but still haven't forgotten about it. Sometimes there is an easier word like "definitely" that lets me stumble upon. I always have to take a deep breath beforehand, otherwise I don't have enough air to speak fast enough to pronounce it correctly. If ever ... Or listen to me trying to say "hierarchy" ...

I have no explanations for these mishaps in my otherwise immaculate English ;). I just try to move around them. But too bad: you can't ignore these words forever, as somehow there is always a situation coming up where you have to use them (maybe except "sycophancy" ...). :ph34r:

So, tell me! What are the German words that you don't know how to pronounce, therefore never use, and still can't forget (in 2006 "sycophancy" and I have our 10th anniversary!).

the past tense form of röntgen (verb: to x-ray) is geröntgt which I find impossible to say!!

There is a "t" inbetween "n" and "g"?? :P I never noticed before ... I think we utter it more like "geröncht"

Germans themselves often have trouble with "szene."

I can't pronounce floccinaucinihiliphilification and honorificabilitudinitatibus (if you like Shakespeare).

I hate brustwartzen because of the way it translates back into English. What a horrible name for something so beautiful. That said I do like "Sommerspossen" so it is give and take.

One word I didn't find difficult to pronounce until someone pointed out to me how difficult it was to pronounce correctly is "Friedrichstrasse". I find it almost impossible to get all 3 R's right (that is, neither rolling them like a Scandi or swallowing them in the English style).

Another is the German pronunciation of "Tour" (or am I stupid and is this the same as "Tur"?)

(but i can pronounce "pneumonoultramicropscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis", which I heard on countdown once).

Another is the German pronunciation of "Tour" (or am I stupid and is this the same as "Tur"?)

Please elucidate :huh:

anything with more than 3 syllables does it for me, I stumble all over the place also if there are too many R's - being Scottish I roll my R's and my collegues find this funny in English never mind German

I great word I learned today "Himmelkreuzdonnerwetter!" I put blimey in a translator and this is what I got.

With Himmelkreuzdonnerwetter you can use all the rolling R's that you've got. Makes it more impressive ;-)

Please elucidate

It's supposed to be pronounced somewhere between Tur (pronounced Germanlike) and Tour (pronounced in the English stylee).

My girlfriend happily points out that I always get it wrong.

I don't see a difference. What is Tur? As in "Tür" or in "Tour"? I think she is making fun of you or she is thinking about a word that I have never even dreamed of ... <_<

I hate brustwartzen because of the way it translates back into English. What a horrible name for something so beautiful.

That's why you don't use this term in any kind of "beautiful" encounter... B)

I don't see a difference. What is Tur? As in "Tür" or in "Tour"? I think she is making fun of you or she is thinking about a word that I have never even dreamed of ...

Think his gf is playing on the german/french mixed pronunciation of "tour"...

Rührei

and i used to work with someone who's surname was Röhrl, which I never even got close to being able to pronounce

Another is the German pronunciation of "Tour"

in what context is that used in German?