Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

In search of goat meat

25 posts in this topic

Since couple of months I am searching for goat meat but I am not able to find it till now. When I was in london I usually used to pop in Indian store or nepalese store but here I am finding difficult to get it. Does anyone know where can I find in berlin?? Description goes like this: Goat meat from younger animals is called "kid" or cabrito (Spanish), and from older animals is simply known as "goat" or sometimes called chevon (French), or in some areas "mutton" (which more often refers to adult sheep meat). Hope some body is there to help me :rolleyes:

post-172137-13491056764534.jpg

In Hamburg I've seen it at FrischeParadies, it looks like there are 2 in Berlin : http://www.frischeparadies.de/sortiment/produkte/fleisch.html

and from googling I found this forum post :

Das beste Ziegenfleisch gibt es bei Stadt-Landfluss eG. Die sitzen in der Bergmannstr. 59. Dirket neben dem Bio-Diwan (Restaurant). Das Fleisch wird einmal die Woche aus der Lausitz von einem kleinen ökologischen Ziegenhof geliefert (www.gut-ogrosen.de). Muss bestellt werden und zwar spätestens Montag, wenn man es am Freitag haben möchte. Das ist wirklich köstlich. Ganz zart und hat ein tolles Aroma.

from Chefkoch.de forums

If there is a farmers market, go to the stands selling goats milk cheese. They should be able to tell you where you can get goat meat.

KDW has it too apparently. mmm, reminds me, need to go try out that curried goat recipe...

Thing about the Turkish places is that it does not seem to be something that is often in stock at the meat counter, but if you ask them, they can probably order it in for you. In my experience at least.

Does anyone know where I can find leg of lamb for a roast?

Looking in the usuals; kaisers, lidl, aldi, netto, a couple bio places, a couple butchers and had no luck.

Got a pretty serious roast lamb craving going on

I have often seen Leg of Lamb in the freezer section of the larger Real averagesupermarkers

Forget the discounters, i.e. Lidl, Aldi, Netto, Penny and Co. Go to a butchers. If they don't have it, they will certainly be able to order it for you.

Did you try a Turkish butcher/supermarket?

Good legs of lamb there

My mum always complained about the quality of lamb meat in Holland, then I took her to the local Turkish butcher and since then she enjoys cooking it again for us

People seem to have a certain image of Turkish shops/butchers until they try it, then they realise how good they are for meat and veggies/fruit

Lamb from supermarket: Frozen, crap, overpriced.

Lamb from German butchers: often purchased in vacuum packaging, wet, crap, overpriced.

Lamb from Turkish supermarkets/butchers: Normally matured (hung), dry, tasty, cheaper by 300%

In general, Germans know as much about lamb as they do about beef - absolutely fucking nothing. For a country that eats so much pork, their charcuterie skills are also pretty laughable. French charcuterie is better, so is Spanish, so is Italian.

Sorry for reviving this old post. I was actually thinking about creating one of the same subject but in Berlin section but I think it would be duplicating it so...

I am also looking for goat meat (in Berlin however) and I heard that there is a Turkish market near Neuköln station. Anyone has been a customer in this market? Any feedback? I might go there today later or tomorrow (maybe).

Try some Portuguese shops as well. As for Cabrito, same as in spanish.

Don't know about shops in Berlin, but in Munich "Casa dos Sabores" should have it (frozen).

23 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

Try some Portuguese shops as well. As for Cabrito, same as in spanish.

Don't know about shops in Berlin, but in Munich "Casa dos Sabores" should have it (frozen).

@MikeMelga unfortunately I haven't found any PT shops out here (yet some colleagues told me that there is a PT coffee/pastry shop somewhere nearby Neuköln.

I went to a turkish market (the one right outside Neuköln station) but they only have lamb, not goat. I wonder if I can prepare the same food with lamb instead of goat... Goat is really hard to find :lol:

This would be off-topic but I also never found things like clams out here (only huge clams that are not what I want).