Wallpaper vs paint

68 posts in this topic

Not an expert, sorry, but there is no way I would ever consider putting wallpaper on newly plastered walls, anywhere in the world.

I have had much to much work having to remove the dam stuff, even worse when painted over.

Also not an expert, but what you quoted in German is significantly more than just putting up wallpaper... First of all they include the ceiling. Then they will spackle it, smooth it out, prime it, and paint it. Sounds like you currently have a basic construction wall and I would say they are very right you can’t just paint over it. Probably you would need a lot of paint to make it look nice...

4 minutes ago, Dubya said:

Also not an expert, but what you quoted in German is significantly more than just putting up wallpaper... First of all they include the ceiling. Then they will spackle it, smooth it out, prime it, and paint it. Sounds like you currently have a basic construction wall and I would say they are very right you can’t just paint over it. Probably you would need a lot of paint to make it look nice...

Ah right - so its not "wallpaper" or a type of wallpaper as a protective sheet then? Thats what they said in German but the quote they gave me was written in the format I typed.

You may double check with a native German speaker, but roughly:

Option 1 = treating the ceiling as I said before; smooth out wall and put ingrain wallpaper. 

Option 2 = treating walls & ceiling as I said before. 

So so if the price difference is minimal, option 2 would be what I’d go for, and the work suggested is certainly beyond my DIY skills...

BTW, from the quote I understand that you still have to buy the paint for the final layer, but I may be wrong, best to clarify that, including how many layers you would need. 

1 minute ago, Dubya said:

You may double check with a native German speaker, but roughly:

Option 1 = treating the ceiling as I said before; smooth out wall and put ingrain wallpaper. 

Option 2 = treating walls & ceiling as I said before. 

So so if the price difference is minimal, option 2 would be what I’d go for, and the work suggested is certainly beyond my DIY skills...

BTW, from the quote I understand that you still have to buy the paint for the final layer, but I may be wrong, best to clarify that, including how many layers you would need. 

Yes I would have to buy the paint but is the painting job included in either option or I have to pay for them to paint it separately too?