Wallpaper vs paint

68 posts in this topic

Quick question, what is better wall paper or just painting walls, hubby wants to wall paper the house and then paint over it, waste of time and money me thinks,but since Hamburg is wet and miserable year round, what would be the safer choice to make?

If he's thinking about woodchip and then paint, then shoot him quick, because that's a horrid idea ;) .

We usually live in rented houses with a painted plaster wall surface, sometimes smooth, sometimes slightly bumpy, both fine. Best ones we have had are painted with 'sports hall' washable paint surface up to chest level in the corridor/stair/loo areas, and a matt more powdery paint above. You can't trash that surface very easily. We now live with painted woodchip which comes off if you so much as look at it.

In rooms with a tendency towards damp we have had some kind of special paint which is somehow 'anti-damp'. In this house, the previous owners used thick padded wallpaper, which is now peeling off.

Just the thoughts of someone who has lived in a lot of houses, but is not an expert on interior decoration!

I would think that painting it would be cost effective. Wallpaper tends to loosen, especially in the corners and close to window, sinks, etc.

We didn't realize that we had an issue, until our son started coughing so much and then ended up in the hospital with a lung infection, from bronchitis. Then, I started to research possible reasons for him getting sick, as he started coughing when we brought him home again. I closed up his room for 24 hours, then opened it to a musky smell and then noticed the staining above his bed in the wallpaper... YIKES.

Mold is easy to get here in Germany, the reason I would prefer paint, so you can see it right away and deal with it.

Good Luck to you.

I think he wants that horrid wall paper everyone here uses, I just screamed at him, but since I'm no expert I need others thoughts please :)

Thanks Reneelovesgreen, I also think health-wise wall paper is bad, whats the obsession with Germans and wall paper, Im now off to Max Bahr to look at paint :)

Thanks all for your comments :)

This subject was discussed in some detail on a thread back in 2010. If I've time later I'll trawl through my old posts to see if I can find it.

Before making a final decision you should consider the following:

If your property was built within the last 40 years then it won't probably matter whether you only paint or 'paper the walls. However, the older the walls, the more likely it is that a serious factor affecting the chances of successfully painting will be determined by the type and condition of the plaster.

It may be much more economical, as well as producing a far smoother surface, to use a smooth lining paper prior to painting. The absorbency rate of 50 - 90 year old plastered walls is amazing and you may have to use from 3-5 as much paint (consider too the time factor -takes days drying out between coats) to avoid having a terribly patchy final finish. Lining paper also serves to cover many cracks and minor irregularities which, though they may not be visible now, can appear very obvious after fresh painting.

2B

It was built in 1960 so that makes it 52 odd years old. I looked on the site but came up with wall paper threads only :)

hmm on the painting issues, we wanted to do it ourselves ha!!

I would think that painting it would be cost effective. Wallpaper tends to loosen, especially in the corners and close to window, sinks, etc.

It depends on the condition of the walls.

With paper you can get away with what is under it but with paint you'll see a lot more and you may need to prep the walls if you want to paint it.

I suggest you first buy a small container each of 2 different quality paints and then pick a couple of rooms with plaster in condition typical of the rest of the house and experiment with the painting. You won't know for sure how good either the coverage or the final appearance will be until it has had some days to dry out. Then by next weekend you will have no doubt about which method works best and which quality of paint is most economic in use.

It may delay your imagined vision of your domestic paradise for a week, but at least you won't be regretting making a hurried decision for many years.

2B

PS: IIRC the subject was discussed on a much older thread which had been revived for the purpose.

I haven't yet had time to go through my old posts and don't remember the thread title at all.

It might take me me an hour or two, but I've now basically covered here what I'd said there. Other TTers had said much more though.

The only one I saw 2B was: http://www.toytowngermany.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=239964

Chelle63, what is on your walls, now?

My experience with wallpaper is that it needs removing. Wallpaper sucks. Stick to paint!

If your walls are in poor condition that points to problems elsewhere like rising damp or a leak or completely inadequate ventilation.

Once those problems are corrected, replastering is comparatively cheap.

Then seal, prime, and paint away!

Paint, what purpose does wall paper serve, exactly? As long as the plasterer's done a good job, it's just up to you to choose a colour you can live with.

PS: IIRC the subject was discussed on a much older thread which had been revived for the purpose.

Yep. If you do a forum advanced search for Rauhfaser, a bunch of wallpaper and painting threads come up. I remember the discussion too, just don't remember which one of those threads it was.

I'll just say what others have said - if you have crappy walls that are going to need a lot of smoothing and priming before painting, wallpering and then painting is often a lot easier. The walls here are usually not drywall like they may be in other countries. We have stone wall with plaster over them and for the most part there's no way we could have just painted them.

Ha!

If only I'd known Reneelovesgreen was on the job! :)

I would've gone shopping already instead of plowing back to front through 1600 thread titles,

(man, I've posted waaaay too many rubbish definitions and puzzle clues). :(

Taking down wallpaper and then repainting, (I think the same one rlg found),was from last December, so much more recent than I thought.

Still, at least I found some other funny and interesting threads that are quite relevant to other current topics. :)

2B

We did the Rauhfaser thing at the advice of our bricklayer who helped out with renovating our 120 year old apartment. In our case, it's not like normal wallpaper it's a porous gauze layer (breathable: moisture in/out and all that old world stuff) that acts as a cover for fissures that appear in old plaster on walls and ceilings. It keeps the place from flaking away on us.

If you paint them and the plaster is uneven, just tell them you meant to, as you were going for the Venetian Style... :D

2B, I am still trying to figure out how to move around within TT and still have frustrations regarding never being able to figure out the Caricatures of TT members. I can never get one. :angry:

Today, I learned two things through TT:

1. Swimming suits/apparel is called costumes in the British English language

2. Rauhfaser is a porous type of wallpaper that is breathable

You're a very good TT student, rlg.

I'd avoid wearing raw fibre cossies (like little girls mums used to knit back in the '50s) when swimmiing, though, unless you thrive on skin rashes. ;)

2B

Thanks so much, 2B!!

I will keep your advice close by and glad that you taught me something else new today. Didn't know what a cossie is. And, it sounds like it would be a good reason to head to the nude beach, as I am not keen on skin rashes!!! (though, I have seen pics before, I have never heard that name)