Anmeldung in two different cities

20 posts in this topic

Hello guys,

I´m currently working in Würzburg but residing in Essen with my girlfriend. I have to be in-house for 3 days a week, while I work from home for the rest of the week. I have a small room in Würzburg; my question is: am I required to do the Anmeldung in Würzburg aswell?

Thanks in advance

You might register your Würzburg location as a second home and then get tax benefits for it.

Not sure if you really have to, but I would do it for the $$$.

But you would have to be the one who pays the rents for both the Essen and Würzburg flats in order for this to work tax-wise.

It would also mean 24€ a day which you can claim as costs in your tax return under "doppelte Haushaltsführung" for the first 3 months of your stay

--> a nice lump of 90*24€ = 2,160€

plus of course the warm rent for your second home in Würzburg, plus travel costs every week to Essen and back to Würzburg again.

For details, see post 220 in Filing a tax return.

I had a look, Würzburg hasn't yet introduced a Zweitwohnsitzsteuer, so at least you won't have to pay that when registering your Zweitwohnsitz in Würzburg.

On no account register your Zweitwohnsitz in Essen, since that would lead to a 10% tax on the average rent in Essen.

So, register your Hauptwohnsitz in Essen, and your Zweitwohnsitz in Würzburg!

Many thanks for the quick replies!

Some finishing thoughts:

1) I live with my girlfriend in Essen, and we share the rent. Basically, both our names are in the contract - which I believe counts as paying the rent in Essen as Hauptwohnsitz, correct?

2) Even if I don´t go back weekly (say once my girlfriend comes to Würzburg), I can claim the eventual 3x trip to Essen - excluding the week I haven´t gone back? Or does it have to be strictly regular? (sorry for the weird question but the tax regulation in Italy is worse than in Germany...)

3) The 3-months lump-sum for the meals is great!

1) Yes.

2) You can only claim for trips you really made, but you have to go to Essen on average at least twice a month in order to still be eligible for "doppelte Haushaltführung". It doesn't have to be regular, the average counts.

3) Yes, it is. But it is only possible for the first 3 months after you started working in Würzburg, e.g. if you moved there on 1. September 2012:

91 days (from 1. September to 30. November 2012) x 24€ = 2,184€

Alles klar! Many thanks again! I wonder why there´s such an high reimbursement for those first 3 months, but oh well, good for me :D

The reasoning behind it is a bit old-fashioned.

They assume the husband moves first and being incapable of cooking himself, he has to go out for meals, which is of course more expensive than eating at home.

So why 3 months?

They probably assume that 3 months is enough for him to pick up the basics of cooking (or to find a girlfriend in the new town to cook for him...) and that he can now be safely released into the wild ;)

So, I went for the Anmeldung, but:

- It seems that I have to "prove" that I will use Würzburg as Nebenwohnsitz rather than Haputwohnsitz. The Beamtin was kind, but she told me I might be called for an "Anhorung" in order to justify my application.

- My boss has the same problem BUT when he heard I did the Anmeldung, he immediately asked his Steuerberater if the Anmeldung was necessary in order to obtain the partial tax exemption. Apparently, it isn´t - you only need your contract and a proof that you have paid the rent.

However, what I´m thinking is that only by doing the Anmeldung I will be able to receive the 3-months lump-sum.

- My boss has the same problem BUT when he heard I did the Anmeldung, he immediately asked his Steuerberater if the Anmeldung was necessary in order to obtain the partial tax exemption. Apparently, it isn´t - you only need your contract and a proof that you have paid the rent.

That's correct.

The only thing the Finanzamt cares about is that because of a job ( = show job contract) you had to pay rent in two different towns ( = show both rental contracts and bank slips showing both rents being paid by you).

There is no connection between the Einwohnermeldeamt and the Finanzamt.

Ah, I see, makes sense indeed. Well, let´s then hope I didn´t do something stupid with this Anmeldung.

Hello everyone and thanks again for your help.

So, now I'm trying to complete my tax declaration form. What I wonder is: I kept all my tickets and and receipts (in physical form) regarding my almost weekly travel between Wuerzburg and Essen (as well as the payments for the rent, and so on). Shall I bring everything directly to the Finanzamt, or shall I wait until they ask me to?

Many thanks in advance,

Fabio

If you submit only paper tax forms, then attach the originals (but make a copy of them first!).

For semi-electronic and completely electronic submission, just keep them at home, they will ask for them should they want to see them.

On 10.10.2012, 10:51:43, PandaMunich said:

That's correct.

The only thing the Finanzamt cares about is that because of a job ( = show job contract) you had to pay rent in two different towns ( = show both rental contracts and bank slips showing both rents being paid by you).

There is no connection between the Einwohnermeldeamt and the Finanzamt.

If I understood you correctly, @PandaMunich, if OP chose not to register for the secondary residence in Würzburg, he would regardless be able to claim Doppelte Haushaltsführung. However, isn't the secondary registration in Würzburg a must? Else OP would be liable for tax fraud, evading the Zweitwohnsitzsteuer, if it were applicable?

The only option I see is that in case someone is married with kids at the primary residence, then (s)he is not obliged to register the secondary residence, as Zweitwohnsitzsteuer doesn't apply - hence no concept of tax evasion. Any advantage of registering the secondary residence in this case?

Secondly, how would one file for an exemption for the Zweitwohnsitzsteuer (in case the secondary residence was primarily due to a new job, and wife and kid remained at the primary residence) - would it simply be made part of the tax return in the subsequent year? Or is there a special application that shall be filed?

9 hours ago, niland said:

if OP chose not to register for the secondary residence in Würzburg, he would regardless be able to claim Doppelte Haushaltsführung. However, isn't the secondary registration in Würzburg a must? Else OP would be liable for tax fraud, evading the Zweitwohnsitzsteuer, if it were applicable?

There is no Zweitwohnsitzsteuer in Würzburg

https://zweitwohnsitzsteuer.de/?page=stadt

1 hour ago, jeba said:

There is no Zweitwohnsitzsteuer in Würzburg

https://zweitwohnsitzsteuer.de/?page=stadt

Thanks, @jeba, I am aware. The question is if it were - basically extending the premise of discussion to other towns where it is, in fact, a must.

Would you be able to share your thoughts on that scenario then?

23 minutes ago, niland said:

Would you be able to share your thoughts on that scenario then?

With pleasure: I´m thinking I have no idea so you better wait for panda to respond. I merely chimed in because I´m originally from Würzburg and had never heard about a Zweitwohungssteuer there - so I checked.

On 12.4.2020, 23:05:58, niland said:

If I understood you correctly, @PandaMunich, if OP chose not to register for the secondary residence in Würzburg, he would regardless be able to claim Doppelte Haushaltsführung. However, isn't the secondary registration in Würzburg a must? Else OP would be liable for tax fraud, evading the Zweitwohnsitzsteuer, if it were applicable?

The only option I see is that in case someone is married with kids at the primary residence, then (s)he is not obliged to register the secondary residence, as Zweitwohnsitzsteuer doesn't apply - hence no concept of tax evasion. Any advantage of registering the secondary residence in this case?

Secondly, how would one file for an exemption for the Zweitwohnsitzsteuer (in case the secondary residence was primarily due to a new job, and wife and kid remained at the primary residence) - would it simply be made part of the tax return in the subsequent year? Or is there a special application that shall be filed?

@PandaMunich Any thoughts?

On 4/12/2020, 11:05:58, niland said:

I can share my experience with registering a secondary residence in Munich. I registered the address as second home (nebenwohnung).

After some weeks I've received a letter from the Munich tax office asking me to fill the form regarding the Zweitwohnsitzsteuer. One of the options in the form is something like this:
"The second residence is job related and my family lives in the primary residence". I've sent them the form and a copy of a job contract and then I've received another letter from them with the decision that I don't have to pay Zweitwohnsitzsteuer and that I have to inform the Munich tax office if my situation changes.