Becoming a German State Teacher.

78 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, franklan said:

"I asked my father how long it would take and he appreciated that it would take three hours."

... and you have to explain what/where the mistake is.

Ooh, ooh - I know this one!

<spoiler>Testing whether the spoiler tag still works first</spoiler>

EDIT: Nope, it doesn't. @dessa_dangerous: I saw you use one a couple of weeks ago - what are the tags now?

35 minutes ago, solomongrundy said:

I will graduate with a PhD in Global Studies this year, and have a Masters in Global Studies, both from a German university Given the difficulty of finding a permanent position in German academia, I was advised to look at teaching English at the school level.

IMO, Global Studies is rather vague. Did you try NGOs?

2 hours ago, swimmer said:

I can only speak anecdotally but, yes, it seems to be a fairly common path, at least round my way, of course employment prospects are often very localised.  My impression would be that there are a range.  Some people I know who taught English go on into secondary schools, others are right at the start with the little kids.   Not sure if the routes would be the same, or of equivalent formality / quaifications etc.   

Where? Education is Ländersache.

3 hours ago, solomongrundy said:

I will graduate with a PhD in Global Studies this year, and have a Masters in Global Studies, both from a German university Given the difficulty of finding a permanent position in German academia, I was advised to look at teaching English at the school level.

I have B2 German and can work on it, but is this a feasible option? My experience is teaching at the University level and also  teaching private classes in English and in private schools.

Since education is a responsibility of the Länder, you have to look at the requirements for each Bundesland.

With your qualifications you would not be allowed to teach in a public school in Berlin. Furthermore, a minimum of C2 German is required to teach in the public school system in Berlin.

Although there are some Referentenstellen where your subject area is needed in the public service, with only B2 German you don't have a chance (and you won't be able to make the necessary leap from B2 to C2 quickly).

If you can't find a job as a consultant, I would highly recommend that you look outside of Germany as well (I wouldn't recommend staying here to be a freelance English teacher at your age).

Allgemeine Voraussetzungen

Ein Quereinstieg in den Lehrerberuf ist nur möglich, wenn es für das Unterrichtsfach, das Ihrem Studienabschluss entspricht, einen Bedarf an den Schulen gibt. Voraussetzung für Ihre Einstellung ist, dass Sie von einer Schule für eine unbefristete Beschäftigung ausgewählt wurden.

Quereinstieg in das Lehramt an allgemeinbildenden Schulen

Fächer, für die ein Bedarf besteht, sind derzeit

• Mathematik
  • Informatik
  • Physik (entspricht an Grundschulen dem Fach Sachunterricht/Naturwissenschaften)
  • Chemie (entspricht an Grundschulen dem Fach Sachunterricht / Naturwissenschaften)
  • Musik
  • Sport
  • Sonderpädagogische Fachrichtungen
  • Englisch (Lehramt an Grundschulen)
  • Deutsch (Lehramt an Grundschulen)

Die Liste der Fächer mit Bedarf wird für jedes Schulhalbjahr neu festgelegt und in der Ausschreibung veröffentlicht.

Mit dem Abschluss einer Ersten Staatsprüfung oder einem lehramtsbezogenen Master of Education für das Lehramt an Grundschulen können Sie sich unabhängig von den Fächern bewerben.

Source: https://www.berlin.de/sen/bildung/fachkraefte/einstellungen/lehrkraefte/quereinstieg

My wife is German, has the First Staatsexam (but from Saxony) has over 15 years of teaching experience, and was basically told that she should forget trying to work as a public school teacher in Bavaria unless she felt like repeating her education. 

So much for "Quereinsteiger" and " Lehrernot"!  Maybe in "Berufsschulen" in technical fields or maybe in other Bundesländer.  

2 hours ago, franklan said:

Ok, so a native German kid writes this...

"I asked my father how long it would take and he appreciated that it would take three hours."

... and you have to explain what/where the mistake is.

How do you do that?

Most of the German teachers of English at Gymnasium level I have met would think that was fine.😂

1 hour ago, dessa_dangerous said:

Hey @El Jeffo

I think you'll find it's all about the

Hidden Content

Let's try that, then.

SURPRISE!

Edit: I can see the "spoiled" text - can anyone else?

2 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

[Fuck this]

[ Fuck this ]

damn .. that did not work either

1 minute ago, El Jeffo said:

[ And fuck that too ]

[   And fuck that too   ]

Edit .. bugger... I reckon DD is extracting the urine  :D

lets see

Edit.

holy grail french taunter GIF

:lol: