Stolen License Plates

13 posts in this topic

Ok, the adventure continues, we just had both plates stolen off of a car while in France. Obviously we cannot drive around without plates - what do we need to do to get new German plates (car is registered in Munich)?

Any input would be helpful!

I have absolutely no idea but I would start with reporting the theft to the police where you are and see what they say.

Go to the Zulassungsstelle. You will need to get the car put on new plates. You will also need to talk to your insurance company because obviously the docs will need to be changed with new plates...

Definitely go to the police before doing anything else, stealing plate has become a huge issue in the last few years, especially since petrol and diesel prices have sky rocketed. We had ours stolen a while back the police told us it's not just for illegally transporting cars stolen anymore, the gangs going around stealing number plates so they can steal petrol has become an even bigger problem.

EDIT, just seen this has already been reported

Sorry to hear that, there is a lot of paperwork and some costs waiting for you.

In France, the plates aren't needed to prove roadworhtyness(TÜV) or existing insurance and you might have seen french cars or trailers with just a temporary cardboard-plate.

So I'm sure if make yourself some like this you are safe to drive around there. BUT NOT IN GERMANY.

I would get in contact with the ADAC, even if you aren't a member you should get more information.. Maybe a friend in Germany can call them for you.

And for everybody else : Plates in germany are mostly just fixed by a plastic board with some clips on it. Takes less than 1 minute to take them off. Afterwards, you need a new number, new plates, papaerwork, and all on your expenses. 4 metal screws and your plates can't be stolen the easy way. Get it done before it's too late.

Go to the Zulassungsstelle. You will need to get the car put on new plates. You will also need to talk to your insurance company because obviously the docs will need to be changed with new plates...

An excellent example of someone offering advice after only reading the thread title :huh:

An excellent example of someone offering advice after only reading the thread title

An example of someone moaning about something without realizing the sequence of posting.

What's your problem? He did not say in his post that he was still in France. He will need to go to the Zulassungsstelle to get new plates as soon as he can anyway.

It was only after I posted that he answered that he is still in France, so he also needs some advice on what he needs to do in the meantime.

As so often in a first post, essential information is not given. The big issue is that he's not home but in a foreign country. Would it have been any more effort to say something like...

"We're on holiday in France and we've had our plates stolen. As we're not in Munich, where the car is registered, what can I do?...etc"

1. Report To local Police (You said you did) and get a copy of the Police report.

2. Drive back to Germany/Home.

3. Park the car and goto the Zulassungsstelle as mentioned above.

4. Alert your Insurance company.

If pulled over on the way home for no plates, show the cops the police report.

Easy enough.. No need to make it into a bigger issue than it needs to be.

1. Report the Police

2. Inform you insurance company

3. Draw the license in cardboard or order new plates from ebay

4. Drive back to Germany

5. Go to the Zulassungstelle and get new plates of get them to put the missing stamps in the ones from ebay

Edit: One more place to order the plates: https://www.autokennzeichen-versand.de/

A stolen licence number gets blocked for 5 years, so it makes no sense to get copies now, you can't use them later.

If you drive in Germany without a regular licence plate you could get fined with € 40.- and you would get 1 point on your licence.

What would I do? Drive home with a nice cardboard plate behind the front- and rear windscreen ,best arriving at dawn at the german border and hurry, not hanging around autobahn gas stations etc.

Go to the closest Zulassungstelle to your entry point into Germany, then Ask them for those special plates with Yellow/red date tags...