Pregnancy starts two weeks prior to conception

76 posts in this topic

This is the women's right to not be forced to have a child v nutcases forcing her to do so battle by proxy. Everyone should care actually.

You posted this on 26 August but if you'd scrolled down the google page a little further you'd probably have seen that on 1 August a federal appeals court blocked this legislation from coming into effect on 2 August. This means that the US is not completely full of fuckwits.

Time for a new subtitle even though the law has just been temporarily blocked.

Now I'm confused.

Edited to add that it was temporarily blocked on Aug. 1 but signed into law by the governor last Thur.

This is the women's right to not be forced to have a child v nutcases forcing her to do so battle by proxy. Everyone should care actually.

But only if if applies to the US. Otherwise, nobody gives a shit!

I disagree with the law, but see this pathetic thread for what it is.

Time for a new subtitle even though the law has just been temporarily blocked.

Now I'm confused.

Edited to add that it was temporarily blocked on Aug. 1 but signed into law by the governor last Thur.

Not last Thursday. The Thursday being referred to in your linked article is Thursday 2 August, when it was due to take effect. The leigislation is STILL blocked by the federal appeals court. It doesn't matter if the governor signed it or not - it is not applicable at this time.

Not last Thursday. The Thursday being referred to in your linked article is Thursday 2 August, when it was due to take effect. The leigislation is STILL blocked by the federal appeals court. It doesn't matter if the governor signed it or not - it is not applicable at this time.

Legislative wittery I daresay!

I disagree with the law, but see this pathetic thread for what it is.

Then why grace it any longer with your presence? It's like biting down on a sore tooth.

And if your eye causes you to sin, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to enter life with one eye than to have two eyes and be thrown into the fire of hell.

And why would i want to rob the denizens of TT of the possibility to feel like they saving the world from a group of evil doers in the US, one agitprop article at a time? :lol:

This article from Aug. 25 is the one I was sourcing.

A new law was signed by Arizona Governor Jan Brewer on Thursday that has abortion advocates up in arms. The new law, titled Women’s Health and Safety Act deems a woman pregnant 2 weeks before conception.

This article from Aug. 25 is the one I was sourcing.

It's still the proposal by Yee, so I think that source has got things messed up because the federal appeals court blocked that state law temporarily until it could review it. I'll look further to see what the current status is but I couldn't find any info that they had done that since 1 Aug - one website said they would not consider the case again until Fall this year and another said not until 2013.

OK, scrub what I wrote in this post. Now I am totally confused about what is happening in Arizona.

Some websites are talking about the 9th circuit federal appeals court blocking an Arizona law which would prohibit abortions after 20 weeks but there seems to be another (separate) Arizona law which has popped up effectively prohibiting abortions altogether (sponsored by Yee).

What the hell is going on?

This is what is going on:

"Trying to distance himself from the "legitimate rape" comment that Rep. Todd Akin made last week, Pennsylvania Senate candidate Tom Smith stirred up further controversy by comparing a pregnancy caused by rape to "having a baby out of wedlock."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/27/tom-smith-rape_n_1834234.html

Very good. What's going on with abortion laws in Arizona though - there appear to be 2 similar laws.

Aaaaaaaaaaah. *Ding*

OK, there's the one new law in Arizona.

Yes, it was signed into state law BUT it does not come into effect because it is blocked by the 9th circuit until they hear more arguments and make a decision.

Take a look here

The appellate court put the [abortion] ban on hold until a pending appeal is decided, which will take at least several months. It said in a brief order that it will hold a hearing as soon as possible this fall after receiving legal briefs due in September and October.