Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Street prostitutes 'accept sex meters'

21 posts in this topic

A "sex meter" scheme, taxing prostitutes €6 a night to work the streets of Bonn has raised more than €35,000 for public coffers in its first year, authorities said this week.

Prostitutes working the streets of Germany's former capital have to buy themselves a ticket from the converted parking meters each night, or face a fine.

"The sex tax has been accepted by the prostitutes," said city spokeswoman Elke Palm. The idea, introduced last August, was an extension of a tax imposed on brothels in the city at the beginning of 2011, Die Welt newspaper reported.

Click to read the full article.

post-46630-1345814640000.jpg

35,000 Euros? How much did it cost to install the meters , collect the money and police the purchase of tickets?

How much did it cost to install the meters

The meters are converted parking meters Pas, no installation required.

I'm guessing it wouldn't have cost as much to convert them as it would to have installed them from scratch.

35K isn't exactly a huge amount of money to bring in though? And there are costs invovled in gathering that 35K. I'm just wondering whether it really made any money. Most politicians seem to be able to blow 35k on tea and biscuits.

that means on average there are 16.3 prostitutes working the streets of bonn at night 35000/(356*6)

And there was me thinking that with reunification they'd all moved to Berlin :ph34r:

Taxing prostitutes is a wonderful idea. It makes them part of the system, and a source of income to be encouraged.

Of curse the 35000 would go nowhere near the bill for policing prostitutes in other countries.

that means on average there are 16.3 prostitutes working the streets of bonn at night 35000/(356*6)

So whoever got the .3 needs to ask for some money back.

Maybe he made an early withdrawl... or nowt was deposited... :ph34r:

I have a sister who works for the gas board if you wanna meter .... B)

Since I live in Bonn and some of the police men in that area are customers of mine I've heard some anecdotes. The topic of street prostitution has been discussed for years. There's an area where they are allowed to work, but the patch somehow expanded into Universitiy campus and playgrounds. There were some local initiatives fighting against the infiltration of the neighbourhood with prostitution. After much discussion they built what they called "Verrichtungsboxen" eventually. A fenced area with wooden boxes and security cameras to make sure the girls had some sort of workplace safety. It's usually the johns who pay the tax-ticket.

There was a guy who thought he had bought the girl for the price of the tax ticket and made a racket because she wanted a little more for her services. But the concept seems to work in favor of the girls, as far as their safety is concerned.

Legal prostitutes with no health checks.

Nice.

After much discussion they built what they called "Verrichtungsboxen" eventually. A fenced area with wooden boxes and security cameras to make sure the girls had some sort of workplace safety. It's usually the johns who pay the tax-ticket.

Who pays for/sponsors the boxes?

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verrichtungsbox

I think tax money built them, which might sound outrageous at first, but the money coming in from the tickets is already more than the upkeep costs. And the trade tax payed by all involved in the red light district (There's an "Eros-Center" close by) is a substantial sum, enough to cover the costs.

I think those boxes are a good idea. You can't control street prostitution close to the main train station, and that way women who have to earn money that way for some reason or other at least have toilets, free condoms and a place to warm up and some sort of safety.

Interesting that the Wiki link is only available in Dutch and German thus far.

Those boxes were "invented" in the Netherlands and meanwhile some German cities and Zurich have them.

PS: I just tried to find "fuckport"- that's what they are called inofficially. Wiki offers funsport instead. Kind of fits :D