BVG is entrapping tourists with 40 euro fines

89 posts in this topic

I can understand why you are pissed, OP. It's an easy mistake to make. I always make sure I tell visitors about the stamping and why it exists, because to outsiders it is something different.

Unfortunately, your post has given everybody the chance to be extremely smug and patronizing. Never mind, it's only an internet forum!

I do find it odd that you get find 40€ for not having a valid (even if it's a case of having innocently purchased the wrong one or forgotten to validate it) BUT if you're caught smoking in the train, it only costs you 15€, I would have thought they would make the fine for smoking higher than no ticket/wrong ticket, because there's no excuse of innocence there

Smoking on the train costs them nothing from their bottom line. People riding for free is robbed income.

Yeah, that's true I guess, I think they should raise the fine for smoking on the train though, but then again, I suppose it wouldn't really make much difference because I reckon most people who smoke on the train do it after a night out on the town when the inspectors aren't on duty, so they won't get caught anyway - at least that's my experience, I don't think I've ever seen people smoking on trains during the day time, after 3-4 am though, well that's a different story

I'd even cheerfully pay €40 into a fund for someone to drive the hipsters from Berlin similar to how St. Patrick banished all snakes from Ireland.

There is a place, you know...please send me your €40 as soon as poss....

post-37929-13458177622778.gif

I do find it odd that you get find 40€ for not having a valid (even if it's a case of having innocently purchased the wrong one or forgotten to validate it) BUT if you're caught smoking in the train, it only costs you 15€, I would have thought they would make the fine for smoking higher than no ticket/wrong ticket, because there's no excuse of innocence there

Well you might think so but it's kind of Germany all over isn't it really - special word for dodging transport fares but smoke-filled pubs, clubs and still some restaurants is totally ok.

OP, this is really a long stretch. Admit your mistake and move on!

The ticket vendor machines in Berlin even inform you in English to stamp your tickets before you board any public transportation.

Nobody will be interested in your story. You'll even come across as no so smart :-)

Contacting a TV company? Because you broke the BVG rulez? Seems to be a heck of a waste of effort to get out of paying a €40 fine. I recommend bild.tv. :P Actually at the end of the day you have stolen money from all law-abiding Berlin residents.

He/she wants to show in national TV that he/she did not care to read the ENGLISH instructions in the ticket.

I'm glad to see the quality of the English instructions in Berlin re. validating a ticket: in Munich, we have to 'cancel' our tickets.

But that's still much better than Pompei, where tourists are warned in big block letters to OBLITERATE their tickets before boarding the train!

It is bullshit, I assume the majority of people buying a ticket from the platform ticket machines want it validated, the machines should really have an option when you buy a ticket to untick if you don't want your ticket validated (so it's done by default). Or failing that, how hard would it be to put some stickers on the ticket machine displayed prominently and in the trains/trams/buses to the effect of "Have you validated your ticket?" or "Remember to validate your ticket after purchase"

I can imagine a lot of tourists are left soured by their experience in Berlin and other German cities here having bought a ticket in good faith but didn't realise they had to validate it.

That's an excellent point. Although it seems obvious to me now, when I was a tourist here back in 2006 I at first assumed that when I bought a ticket from the vending machine it was valid. After all, I was purchasing my ticket at the entrance to the U-Bahn station and not in one of the BVG shops. It was only later in the day that I noticed people getting their tickets stamped in the yellow boxes. Sure I probably should have noticed it the first time, but there was so much to see and do (look, a pizza kiosk!) that I hadn't paid attention to all the details, and who really does when they're on vacation?

Many (most? all?) subways in the States make you use your ticket to gain entry to the platform which invalidates the ticket. I can easily imagine an American tourist buying a ticket and not noticing it must be stamped or that it wasn't stamped when purchased. It's simply not foremost in your mind.

On the other hand, german tourists in the States need not worry...you can't get in subway without a ticket. Simple.

(English speaking ones anyway)?

DB used to have huge posters inside train cars telling people that they had to have a validated ticket. In about a dozen different languages, including English, French, German, Spanish, Italian, Turkish, Russian, Arabic, Chinese and a couple others. Back in the 90s. Or was it the 80s? Still said something about 40 DM anyway. I think they've updated that to Euro now.

It is bullshit, I assume the majority of people buying a ticket from the platform ticket machines want it validated

Considering in functional tariff areas (no, not Berlin, never Berlin) between 80 and 95% of all transport, including all commuting, is handled with seasonal tickets (day/24-hour/multi-day/week/month/semester/annual), that's actually probably true.

Also, RMV in Frankfurt for example is not offering unstamped tickets because the investment for the machines wouldn't be worth it. However, if you have the infrastructure in place already...

But that's still much better than Pompei, where tourists are warned in big block letters to OBLITERATE their tickets before boarding the train!

Do they make you throw the virgin ticket into the vulcano?

On the other hand, german tourists in the States need not worry...

Yeah, because there's no subway.

while I do feel some amount of sympathy for the multitudes of fail-to-read-the-small-print people around the world (I have often been one myself), two things occur to me:

1. Unless the train comes a second after the purchase of the ticket, isn't the natural thing to do, after you've bought said ticket--especially for the first time in a new city--to stand around staring at it? And wouldn't the only English words on the ticket--namely, "Please validate ticket"--stand out among all those funny German words?

2. So, you've failed to read the small print. You've failed to stand around staring at your ticket. You've jumped on the train with as good as no ticket. And now you've got a fine! Lame! Mega-lame! Inexcusably lame!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGdf-BhzojE&feature=player_embedded

a bummer indeed, entrapment it's not. A piece of knowledge acquired for next time, many cities' transit systems operate this way. Lesson learned, wounds licked, bridge built, life goes on.

Hi Brendan

Why was I cought twice without a validated ticket but I was let go? Well, they did stop me and I did follow them outside the train and then they recommended merely that I validate the tickets I buy, and let me go...

Once more, I had the wrong type of ticket. They again asked me to follow them outside the train, said that the police would come, to check my bags etc, I had the bike with me but I had paid its ticket, my own ticket only was the wrong type, then they suddently entered the train and left me there wondering if the police will come or not. I waited 20 mintes nobody appeared, so I left and that happened months ago... and had taken my address so I guess they were just scaring me. Not sure what the heck was that.