Name change publication

27 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I need information about name change. I am from India. I have recently encounter a strange problem. I don't have last name in my passport. Somehow during passport application, i put first and last name in given names. so my passport shows, i don't have family name or last name now.

I checked with Indian consulate to fix it. They asked me to follow "Name change procedure". It's alright.

One of the point for name change procedure is to publish below text in news paper in country of residence.

Text for newspaper advertisement for change of name I, Mr/Mrs. __________________, son of Mr/Mrs. ___________________ of _____________________________ (address in India) and resident of _________________________ (address in Germany) have changed my name from Mr/Mrs. _____________ (old name) to Mr/Mrs. __________________

I know, how to do it in India. I asked my German colleagues , they don't know how to do it here.

anybody knows about it.

Thanks

Raj

I think you've misunderstood something (or the consulate has completely mucked it up). You don't want to change your name, you simply need to get your passport corrected.

Don't you have a birth certificate or some other proof of your correct name that you can send them?

I agree with El Jeffo. What the Indian consulate has asked you to do is publish a public notification of your name change - except you don't have a name change to publish, it's just an error in your passport. Produce your birth certificate, and/or other official documents showing your correct name and that should do it.

I think, I did not write clearly.

My surname was always missing from my documents(birth certificate or university degree). Probably my grand father forget to write during birth registration in Govt. office. so it's case of adding surname in my passport. So i have to publish in news paper :-)

I really have not idea whom to contact. I am changing offical name "Rajesh kumar" to "Rajesh Kumar Huria" :ph34r:

so i have to publish in germany too.

In that case, I suggest you call your nearest consulate and ask them which newspaper(s) would qualify and what format the notice has to be (classified or commercial).

How did you register yourself for the "Anmeldung" at the local authorities? More of your countrymen have no surname. Apparently no problem in India, but definetely an issue in Europe. Thanks to Napoleon everybody in Europe has a surname.

PS-Don't go to BILD newspaper :)

Thanks to Napoleon everybody in Europe has a surname.

Eh? What's your surname then? Mr. Thatsalotofoldbollocks?

Does the Code Napoleon nothing have to do with people having a surname in Europe? What I remember from history lessons is that before Napoleon came to power many people didn't have a surname. Perhaps a historian on TT can enlighten me.

A quick google for german surnames comes up with -

With roots in the Germanic middle ages, German surnames have been around since the 1100s.

for french -

French surnames were first used in the 11th century to distinguish people who had the same given name, but surnames for all didn't become common until centuries later.

UK -

For most of human history, surnames were not needed, but as the population of Europe increased and more people lived in closer proximity to each other, some way was needed to distinguish between people with the same first name. Surname usage in Europe began for the most part in the 1100s, with some dating the origin in England to the Domesday Book, a survey taken by the Normans in 1086.

All googled out now :)

I did some research myself, but part of the Code Napoleon was the establishment of civil registry offices in all the countries Napoleon occupied (most of Europe). People had to confirm their existing family name or to adopt one. The use of patronymics was replaced by family names, because of the civil registry offices.

How did you register yourself for the "Anmeldung" at the local authorities? More of your countrymen have no surname. Apparently no problem in India, but definetely an issue in Europe. Thanks to Napoleon everybody in Europe has a surname.

PS-Don't go to BILD newspaper

We do have surname. I have but my grand dad forgot to write during birth registration.

Apparently it was not problem in part of Europe called BERLIN where i lived for 5 years but Apparently it's problem in Part of Europe called Munich.

Funny thing : when i asked bürgerbüro lady that why authorities in Berlin never created problem about this. why she is creating problem after 5 years now. She replied to me , "Berlin is crazy" :ph34r:

In that case, I suggest you call your nearest consulate and ask them which newspaper(s) would qualify and what format the notice has to be (classified or commercial).

They sent me proper format which i going to publish in news paper.

The comments here are misleading. There is absolutely no problem of not having a surname in Europe as soon as you have at least two names, one of which serves as first name (Vorname) and other as last name (Nachname). When you are asked, put second name as surname in the papers, that's it!

The OP mentioned he has no last name in his passport which you need to show during the "Anmeldung". The clerk will definetely ask questions here since this is uncommon. I can also see some problems when you open e.g. a bank account where you need an ID as well.

Rajesh Kumar Huria

If you want to stay in Germany I'd just leave it as it is. I'd prefer Kumar to Huria ;)

The OP mentioned he has no last name in his passport which you need to show during the "Anmeldung". The clerk will definetely ask questions here since this is uncommon. I can also see some problems when you open e.g. a bank account where you need an ID as well.

having account with commerzbank since 5 years.. never had any problem but yes anmeldung office in munich have problem.

so they accepted , you can have passport without family name but because there shit software dont accept a person without family name and the lady is stubborn to put kumar as family name. I have to make it offical change which means, new passport.

anyways, i am going to give in newspaper and apply for new passport. don't want to hit my head on wall :-) by wall means, German officials :D

If you want to stay in Germany I'd just leave it as it is. I'd prefer Kumar to Huria

I would prefer with Huria as it's my family name... somehow i have opportunity to correct mistake done by my grandfather.

Kumar is not a family name. it denote Hindu religion in some parts of India. In some parts, they use father name as middle name instead of Kumar.

I don't want to mock you, but you might be in for some mocking with that name, it reminds of the German word Hure, which means whore. The pronounciation might be completely different, though. But in writing the first association a German speaker would have would be Hure.

Or for the more educated Germans: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Houri

In Islam, the hūr or hūrīyah (Arabic: ﺣﻮرﯾﺔ) are commonly translated as "(splendid) companions of equal age (well-matched)", "lovely eyed", of "modest gaze", "pure beings" or "companions pure" of paradise, denoting humans and jinn who enter paradise after being recreated anew in the hereafter.

Shades of 1001 Nights :)