Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Need advice on damaged car

17 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

Bad luck today. I was going to leave today and while I was putting something in the trunk I saw that my car was damaged. I pretty sure that this did not happened at my house since I have a garage. I was parked last night in Frankfurt and I am pretty sure that there it was where it was hit by someone which didn't leave a note or anything. My question is what are the steps that I have to take now? I have insurance. This car is only 6 months old and pretty upset about this. Can someone please let me know the steps that I have to take now?

How bad is the damage? Your insurance will cover it depending on your cover.

Sometimes it works out cheaper not to claim on it though as your premiums will rise.

I have a dent in the back of my car. The bumper has a little scratch. Do I have to involve the police on this one? I am really confused on what I need to do now. I have vollkasko.

If you believe your car was hit or vandalized, you go to the police and file a complaint against an unknown person. You could put up notes around where you parked the car with a photo of the car and your number on it asking any potential witnesses to come forward. You can talk to your insurance about the damage. If you have vollkasko, they will pay but you will have to pay your liability amount and your rates could go up.

The police won't care if you don't have a witness. However, there is the ever so slight chance that someone saw it and reported it to the police.

My car was hit pretty good at the swimming pool a few months ago, and the guy took off. Since there was no car parked there before me, and the pool sells 2-hour tickets, I figured it was pretty good odds that the culprit wouldn't want to give up their planned swim and they just backed out and parked in another space. I walked around for about 30 seconds before finding a dingy looking car with fresh/clean scrapes exactly where they should be if he had hit my car.

I called the police, and they came out and looked at what I had to show them, then they asked me where the driver went and if I had approached him yet. I said he probably went swimming (duhhh) and they said, "Ohhh, we thought you saw it... sorry, nothing we can do." He said all sorts of people have fresh scrapes on their bumper, including me, and if we walked through the rest of the parking lot, we'd find at least 3 more on any given day. He said for all he knows, maybe I hit the other guy and made the whole story up to collect his insurance.

My car has never been hit so often, so I don't even bother fixing it anymore. This is Germany and bumpers are for bumping.

I'd only been in Germany a week when I went out to my car parked on the street and found a towbar-ball shaped dent in the front number plate. It was a foreign car and I had to get it registered German so I didn't worry too much about it (not a lot I could do anyway). The car was duly registered German and fitted with nice new number plates and darn if it wasn't only a week later when coming out of Ikea with my shopping I found a towbar-ball shaped dent in the back number plate!

For people who take so much pride in their cars (they're always in the car wash) Munich residents have remarkably little respect for other people's. Where are all the nosey-parkers when you need them??

My car has never been hit so often, so I don't even bother fixing it anymore. This is Germany and bumpers are for bumping.

I disagree, I think Germans are pretty anal with their cars and they will make you repair and/or replace a bumper for a 2cms scratch in a 20 years old busted car.

I disagree, I think Germans are pretty anal with their cars and they will make you repair and/or replace a bumper for a 2cms scratch in a 20 years old busted car.

That's exactly what would happen when both drivers are there, but usually it's a bump and run.

This story belongs in the how to flabbergast a German, but I got rear-ended in heavy traffic in the rain. I got out and looked at my bumper--the scratch complimented the others nicely so I went to get back in my car. The lady who hit me asked if I didn't want to call the police and I told her there was no way in hell I was going to stand in the rain (causing further traffic problems) for that. She just kind of stood there with her mouth open like it just didn't compute. :blink:

I wish I knew the protocol but I think if it was a hit and run, you're pretty much on your own. My spouse scratched someone's car while parallel parking, spent some time finding the owner's house (the car was in front of a residential building), duly reported it, exchanged insurance info. and got his own car fixed. I am assuming the other car was fixed as well. I also scratched someone's side mirror while driving and just kept going because I was so fearful of having a conversation about an accident in German. And my kids were screaming in the car so I couldn't really put on my thinking cap just then. Fortunately, the accident happened 2 min. from home so I got my father in law and went back to the parked car. The owner came, examined the car, looked puzzled, and declared that nothing was broken or scratched. Husband told me to go back immediately or I could be arrested for a hit and run. That scared me even more. But after reading this thread, I am thinking that my husband is one of those Germans who follow the rules.

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your advice. As an update I did call my insurance company and they advised me to go to the police to report it. They said that there might be some slight chance someone would come and report the accident. I did go to the police and the gentlemen there explained me that there is not much that they can do since there is no witness. The police officers were extremely nice which was very helpful especially that I don't speak German so well. They said that all they can do is to do a search and see if there are any cameras from buildings in the area I have parked and ask for the recordings. I will also go tomorrow after work to see if there are such things. There are some stores and business buildings around the area so I might be lucky. The police officer gave me his phone number and said to also look around my home and if I see a car that looks like hit mine to call him.

Anyway looks like probably I will pay the repair form my own pocket or my insurance will pay but I still hope that there is a slight chance the fucker was caught on camera although even is this is the case the chance of the guy being gone is pretty high since where I have parked my car there were a lot of foreign licence plates from Poland.

Just wanted to add my two cents worth.

My car was also hit in Frankfurt about three weeks ago, driver also left no details. Damange was on the passenger side. I called my insurance company and logged the damange. I then proceeded to call the police. They were extreamly professional and helpful. They also knocked on apartments around the accident and managed to find a witness to heard the accident (3am) and looked out the window and saw a 'car'.

It was only luck that this 'car' also claimed that someone hit/kicked their car and also called the Police. The Police put two and two together, have charged the other 'car owner' and I'm now waiting for the court case.

It might be worth it in the future to make sure that your insurance give you a 'one time per year' incident claim, so that you can claim the damage but not effect your insurance rating.

Sorry to hear about the damage to your car, my car was only purchased two months before the accident as well. I know you're upset but in the end it is better to fix the damage and move on.

My car was hit by somebody, while it was parked on the street, and i don't know the perpetrator.

Since it is an old car, i want to continue driving it as it is, without getting it repaired, as the repair costs can be high.

My question is that, could the damage seen on the picture be a reason to fail the Car at the Tüv check?

damage.jpg