German citizenship through descent. Please Help!

29 posts in this topic

Hi,

I have a question about citizenship that is not answered on the website. My question is in regards to German citizenship through descent. Here is the situation. No one knew we would be German citizens through descent. It looks like all my brothers and sisters will be except for me but hopefully you can help clarify things for me. I've had a calling inside myself to go to Germany as long as I can remember and now I have also fallen in love with a German citizen as well. My brother is currently living in Germany and I have recently returned from Germany. While doing a research on how I myself could move to Germany home of my family, my love, and my brother. I discovered that I MIGHT be a German citizen and that in fact the rest of my family was.

Here is the problem in my case, I was born out of wedlock in 1977. My parents had lived together the whole time. Originally, my father was not placed on the birth certificate. Him and my mother later went down to city hall and signed an acknowledgement of paternity so that he could be placed on and sign the birth certificate. So, they both signed the birth certificate. When the knew birth certificate was granted old records were sealed which would include the acknowledgement of paternity. In this case I'm positive I could get the records unsealed as both my parents are more than willing to also have the records unsealed. My parents were later married in 1985. All this time they had continued to live together. I look just like my father and he is willing to do a paternity test. The problem is I'm over 23 as no one knew. I was never registered in Germany. I never made a declaration. If I can get my hands on the acknowledgement of paternity signed by both parents, plus my birth certificate signed by both parents, plus my parents marriage certificate, who are still married, will that be enough? And, what if we were also to take a DNA test acceptable to Germany at this point? Additionally, we became dependents of the court in 1990 were my father was listed as the father and he had to pay child support. He received payments from the Social Security Administration for me. In all aspects he is and always has been my father. Do I have a case or no because no one knew?

Sincerely,

Ich Liebe Deutschland

Yes, my father is a German citizen. My mother would have been too but her family naturalized before she was born therefore she is not considered a German and I could only go through my father. I've been trying to get in touch with someone at the Embassy over this issue for quite some time now.

I've been trying to get in touch with someone at the Embassy over this issue for quite some time now.

What response have you gotten so far?

No, I have not tried applying for a German passport yet. I'm not sure I would get it. I'm supposed to be back in Leipzig in a couple of weeks.

I have not gotten any definite answer from the Embassy. I do know that I would not have been an automatic citizen because my parents were not married on my date of birth. The only way that legitimation is accepted is if your father has acknowledged paternity under GERMAN LAW. I don't know what exactly that entails. I've spent sooo much time trying to get answers to that question. I'm over 23 now so I can only hope that paternity was acknowledged and acceptable according to German Law.

Sorry, but if you haven´t gotten a definite answer from the Embassy, we can´t give you one either!

All things aside, if you want to have the right to live in Germany, marry the German love of your life and get your arse over here!

If your mother's family was German you are likely in with a good chance regardless of her naturalisation. They still like blood lines in Germany as I understand it. Have your maternal grandparents' German IDs at the ready.

Why not just apply for the passport with the papers you have and see what they demand? It may subsequently entail using a German lawyer to get your father's paternity recognised. Which will not be free.

Are you prepared to renounce US citizenship by the way?

It seems that you have read through the info on the Embassy's website, as you stated over 23, and the court records were posted in 1990. The best thing to do is wait for the Embassy, as this looks like one of those cases that should be approved, if the rest of your family are becoming German citizens. I don't know if they would require paternity, as your father has already legally acknowledged you. They are going to research your ties to Germany. Does/Did your father live here? Does/Did the family live here? Did you ever live here? Were you born in Germany?

I am sure that what robinson100 said might help speed things along.... Good luck to you!

If your mother's family was German you are likely in with a good chance regardless of her naturalisation.

I believe that her mother would have to have still been a German citizen at the time of his birth. It comes down to them recognizing the father as being able to pass on German citizenship even though the parents weren't married.

I agree with trying to apply for a German passport with your birth certificate and your parents' documents. They'll either say yes or no.

First of all thanks to everyone who has replied. Yes, I have checked out the website but I've done more than that. I've put days and weeks of hours and hours of research into this matter. I know a great deal about this matter(even corrected to people at the German Embassy who gave incorrect info.)and if paternity has been acknowledged according to German Law then I will definitely be approved but I do not believe paternity has been acknowledged according to German Law. I can't get a definite answer to that question. I do believe so even if not there still has to be a valid acknowledgement of paternity under German Law and dads name just being on the birth certificate doesn't cut it.

I've been spending every hour of every minute of every day on this and I still can't find the definite answer I need.

you know mom is German too but nobody can be bothered to get me information on her side. Excuse the language but I have attached just how I feel about this matter :)

9 hours agoAnna

You know what's even more fucked up the kids who are entitled to it due to them being married didn't even grow up with him or consider him their father. I'm the one who has spent the most time in that house and him as my father. I'm the one who got treated like shit by him. I'm the one who looks the most like him aside from Richard. I definitely should be entitled. This is fucked!!

11 minutes agoMargaret

i think you're forgetting about michael & matthew...

2 minutes agoAnna

Yeah, them too.

Oh, and as far as the court order it was not a court order to establish paternity. He is just listed as the presumed father on the court papers when were put in foster care. He had to pay child support and has collected Social Security Administration payments for me.

I've read so many comments on Toytown about people questioning whether they should legally establish paternity. Yes, please do so! Do not deprive your children because you have issues with the father. My father was not a nice man at all but this would have made it all worth it to me.

You are right, I will go down and apply for the passport. I'll take whatever court records/ child support records/ or anything else that might list him as my father and see what happens.

A long shot but what's this about Bavarian citizenship,lol? My family is from Bavaria. Does that mean I could stay in Bavaria? :)

And as far as Michael and Matthew they are my youngest brothers. She was referring to the length of time they spent in that house. They were the only ones who grew up with him as their father besides me. They got automatic citizenship though because my parents were married at their time of birth. There is 4 other brothers/sisters that got automatic citizenship due to him being married to my mother at their time of birth but those kids grew up with different fathers and don't even know or consider my dad their father.

A long shot but what's this about Bavarian citizenship,lol? My family is from Bavaria. Does that mean I could stay in Bavaria?

There is no such thing anymore.Bavaria ceased to be a kingdom in 1919.Now it is just a German state like all others with a few privileges preserved. Do you know from where your father came from in Bavaria? I'm from Bavaria, big deal!But I was born and raised there and as such the village would provide me with a room in their Armenhause if I would sink that low to accept it.(I rather not)