Change of tax class online

44 posts in this topic

On 2012/8/15 17:14:58, PandaMunich said:

That is because there is no online way to change your tax class.

So you will have to go there in person.

But don't despair, it is quite easy.

The Servicezentrum is a new glass cube building at Deroystr. 6 which is the central place where the Finanazamt deals with its clients, see here for the GoogleStreet View of the building so that you recognise it.

For reasons beyond my limited understanding the Finanzamt neglected to put a street number on it, so it is at no. 6 but knowing that won't help you find it.

Opening times:

• Monday - Wednesday: 7.30 - 16.00
    Thursday: 7.30 - 18.00
    Friday: 7.30 - 12.30

Go to the entrance of this glass building and you will see a red arrow and a sign saying that matters regarding the Lohnsteuerkarte (and your tax class change is just that) are processed in the building opposite.

You will need to bring along:

2. your and your wife's Lohnsteuerkarte (which will be the 2011 ones since no 2012 ones were issued), so you will have to ask your employers to give them back to you for this task
  3. filled in and signed application form Antrag auf Steuerklassenwechsel bei Ehegatten (2 pages!).

What to fill in?

• line 1: your Steuernummer (if you have one)
    line 2: your Steuer-Identifikationsnummern (each of you has their own)
    line 3: in your case: München

line 5: husband's family name / husband's date of birth
    line 6: husband's first name(s)
    line 7: husband's street address
    line 8: husband's postal code and city
    line 9: verheiratet seit: fill in date you got married

lines 10 to 13: wife's details, see lines 5 to 8

line 14: leave empty, you don't want them to call you

line 15: check the box to the left of "vier/vier"
    line 16: check the box to the left of "drei/fünf"

line 35: fill in the date. Both you and your wife will have to sign the form. To get to the second page click on the page2 icon at the top of the window.

They will process that form on the spot and give you newly printed Lohnsteuerkarten (or official papers with the same content) with the tax class 3 for you, and the tax class 5 for your wife.

Give that new Lohnsteuerkarte to your employers, who will then deduct income tax in accordance with your new tax classes.

On 2017/5/29 11:48:03, PandaMunich said:

Fill in exactly the same.

This is very helpful... just few simple questions..

- Line 1: If I do not have Steuernummer, can I leave this blank?

- Line 15: I have been in tax 1 and my wife joined Germany since Jan 2019... Now will we become both Tax 4 ?

Thank you.

On 1/18/2019, 7:20:10, asukah said:

Line 1: If I do not have Steuernummer, can I leave this blank?

Yes.

On 1/18/2019, 7:20:10, asukah said:

Line 15: I have been in tax 1 and my wife joined Germany since Jan 2019... Now will we become both Tax 4 ?

You could also opt for the combination tax class 3 for you, if you earn much more than your wife, and tax class 5 for your wife.

11 minutes ago, PandaMunich said:

Yes.

You could also opt for the combination tax class 3 for you, if you earn much more than your wife, and tax class 5 for your wife.

Thank you. I meant, I have been on the tax category 1 as I was living alone until December 2018. Since my wife joined me in early January, my tax category will be automatically changed to 4? 

I will defenitely chose 3 for me as I am the only one working.

Thank you.

Hello,

I have a question about the form. My husband and I got married back home (Croydon) in May 2018. He moved to Munich in August 2018, did all the formalities and papers, started his job in September. Due to the fact that I "officially" moved in and registered in December 2018, he was paying class tax 1. As I've said, I moved in in December 2018, sorted out all the documents, but do not yet work and have no taxable income. We thought that the tax revenue services are going to put us in the appropriate  tax classes automatically (very naive thinking :)).

I am currently filling out the changing form (like to be prepared) and we are going to file it together in person.  Now, the question is what should I mark for numbers 19-20? He was taxed class 4 for January 2019 and class 1 for the months September-December 2018. I know we will probably not be able to take any tax return for the months I wasn't here "officially", even though I had no income in the UK. If I fill out "rückwirkend - grds. nur im laufenden Kalenderjahr - ab dem Monat der Heirat gelten", are they gonna calculate it themselves  and give us taxes back for January 2019 or are they gonna say "well, you got married in the UK, where you were both residents for tax purposes at the time, and then only one of you came here". Or should I just not bother at all and put "ab dem Folgemonat der Antragstellung gelten" and if we are entitled on some tax return they will do it automatically...HELP....Very confused...Hard drive overheating.... System reboot...Pfffffffff