Change of tax class online

44 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, PandaMunich said:

Neither of you has to be present in person - both of you just have to sign on page 2 of the form "Antrag of Steuerklassenwechsel bei Ehegatten/Lebenspartnern", and you can then send the filled in and signed form by snail mail to your local Finanzamt.

Yes, for a tax class change that is initiated by you, yes.

However, you can still get any overpaid tax back by doing a tax return, so even people who miss that deadline will get their money.

Perfect.

Thanks alot and have a nice day

Hi PandaMunich,

My wife arrived in Munich on the 27th December, and we registered on the 28th of December last year. My tax class was only changed this month. Will I still be able to file a tax return for overpaid tax for the year 2017? I have been married since March 2017 but my only arrived in December.

Thanks for the response. 

Kind Regards,

Ameen

I'm new in Munich and Germany, I'm working and married, my wife is not working, we made our registration and get our Tax ID letters but it doesn't mention which Tax Class they gave us, how could I get this classification, is there any page for doing this?

Thanks in advance.

thanks, also got a confirmation from finanzamt that the tax class change was effect rom 28 december (the day my wife registered)

9 minutes ago, Yonred said:

I'm new in Munich and Germany, I'm working and married, my wife is not working, we made our registration and get our Tax ID letters but it doesn't mention which Tax Class they gave us, how could I get this classification, is there any page for doing this?

Thanks in advance.

by default both of you will have received tax class 4. You cannot get this changed online. Both you and your wife will have to visit the finanzamt office in Deroystr. 6 and tell them that you want to change your tax class from 4/4 to 3/5. Your tax class will be 3, your wife's tax class will be 5. When i went there the receptionist at finanzamt highlighted which fields i had to fill, it was very simple after that. Take your's and your wife's city registration and proof of marriage certificate if you have (just for precaution if they ask). i took this with me but they didn't ask for it, asked just for the passports.

Hi guys, my case is a bit different and hope someone can help me.

My husband is dutch and works in Netherlands (so not Tax ID in Germany). He is planning to move to Germany next year and then will have a German Tax ID. Does that mean I can not do any tax level change until he gets his German Tax ID?

Thanks.

4 hours ago, saratywang said:

Hi guys, my case is a bit different and hope someone can help me.

My husband is dutch and works in Netherlands (so not Tax ID in Germany). He is planning to move to Germany next year and then will have a German Tax ID. Does that mean I can not do any tax level change until he gets his German Tax ID?

You can only change your tax class (not level) when your husband lives in Germany. Once he moves to Germany he will get a tax number. 

On 2.8.2018, 21:49:30, someonesdaughter said:

You can only change your tax class (not level) when your husband lives in Germany. Once he moves to Germany he will get a tax number. 

That was exactly my question. My steuerberater said that even tough my wife does not live in Germany (she will come here with our kid in january) I am still able to change my tax class from 1 to 3. This does not apply to non-EU citizens.

Its a bit strange that I can recive kindergeld but Germany sees me as a single non-married person.

Can any other source confirm this? OP?

Your Steuerberater is right if your wife doesn't earn too much, since 90% of your family income has to be German for this to be allowed, or your non-German income has to be below 2*Grundfreibertrag (in 2018: 2*9,000€ = 18,000€).

Legal sources:

§1a Absatz 1 Nr. 2 EStG: https://www.gesetze-im-internet.de/estg/__1a.html

§38 Absatz 1 Nr. 3 a), Satz 3 EStG: https://www.gesetze-im-internet.de/estg/__1a.html

44 minutes ago, PandaMunich said:

Your Steuerberater is right if your wife doesn't earn too much, since 90% of your family income has to be German for this to be allowed, or your non-German income has to be below 2*Grundfreibertrag (in 2018: 2*9,000€ = 18,000€).

Legal sources:

§1a Absatz 1 Nr. 2 EStG: https://www.gesetze-im-internet.de/estg/__1a.html

§38 Absatz 1 Nr. 3 a), Satz 3 EStG: https://www.gesetze-im-internet.de/estg/__1a.html

Thank you so much! Got my pappers and on my way to finanzamt :)

Hello, if until now both me and my wife had class 4, but if she stays at home and I work can I change the tax class during the year to 3 and she to 5 .

When will this change be effective ?

On 8/15/2012, 5:14:58, PandaMunich said:

line 1: your Steuernummer (if you have one)
line 2: your Steuer-Identifikationsnummern (each of you has their own)
line 3: in your case: München

line 5: husband's family name / husband's date of birth
line 6: husband's first name(s)
line 7: husband's street address
line 8: husband's postal code and city
line 9: verheiratet seit: fill in date you got married

lines 10 to 13: wife's details, see lines 5 to 8

line 14: leave empty, you don't want them to call you

line 15: check the box to the left of "vier/vier"
line 16: check the box to the left of "drei/fünf"

line 35: fill in the date. Both you and your wife will have to sign the form. To get to the second page click on the page2 icon at the top of the window.

Its seems that they updated the form, since the lines don't match anymore.

My situation is similar to many others, we got married in April, she doesn't work, my tax class was changed to 4 and I want it to be 3/5. Could any one confirm if the way I'm filling the form is correct?

line 1: my Steurnummer
line 2: Frankfurt
line 3: leave empty
line 4: Steuer-Identifikationsnummern (And don't fill the telefone number on the top right corner)
line 5-9: Fill with my information
line 10: Fill just the date I got married

line 11-15: my wife information
line 16: Ausdruck der ELStAM gewuencht? What is this? Should I mark it?
line 17: vier/vier
line 18: drei/funf
line 20: Mark "rueckwirdkend ab dem Monat der Heirat gelten"

line 43: Fill the date and both signatures from me and my wife.

All the other not mentioned fields should be blank. Is that correct?

Well, I gave it a try, I went there, filling it the way I mentioned in my post and it worked. Pretty easy and fast, actually.

I need some advice regarding tax class.  Last few years, I have been working  and taxed at class III as my wife was unemployed( and in class V).  

She would start working from October(full time job).  She would earn 65% of what i earn.  Would it make sense to be on Class IV for both or continue with III & V as is the case now?

What is the criteria to decide the tax class? 

Thanks

Normally tax class 4 works best when you both have similar income levels.  Give the disparity then class 3 & 5 would probably still be the best situation for you.

When my wife worked full time then our levels where similar to what you have stated (as percent difference) and we had 3/5.

But to be sure, why not use an online tax calculator and enter the amounts for the different scenarios for each of you and see the difference.

Of course even if you select the wrong tax class you should get the difference back when you do you tax return.

30 minutes ago, dj_jay_smith said:

Of course even if you select the wrong tax class you should get the difference back when you do you tax return.

There are implications, however, if the lower paid partner subsequently becomes unemployed and is eligible to apply for ALG1. 

I guess this would be more relevent for those working on s fixed term contract to bear in mind and make sure that they know when to switch back to IV-IV.

Thank you both for the valuable feedback.

Regarding the social security number, i suppose she would receive it after joining work. Is this correct?  This would be her first job in gernany.

Also, I have a family insurance with a public insurance company. They issued her the Mitgliedsversicherung.  Would she have to pay into it?

Thanks

On 9/18/2018, 2:43:41, fortax said:

I need some advice regarding tax class.  Last few years, I have been working  and taxed at class III as my wife was unemployed( and in class V).  

She would start working from October(full time job).  She would earn 65% of what i earn.  Would it make sense to be on Class IV for both or continue with III & V as is the case now?

What is the criteria to decide the tax class? 

Thanks

I definitely would switch to 4/4. My wife and I were 3/5 for the last couple of years and when she started working we started having very large tax bills at the end of the year. Last year I owed 3.5k. Our tax advisor recommended we switch to 4/4 with Faktor and it made everything ok again.

This is with my wife making about half of my salary.

Hi, if I got a job and from next month I will go to work, but my wife will still remain unemployed but is also looking for a job, should I request the change of the tax class from 4/4 to 3/5 ?

Let's say that it takes another 3-6 months for my wife to also get a job with a salary similar to mine .

Is it worth to swap to 3/5 for this time and then swap again to 4/4 ?

The difference in my netto salary according to the online calculators between class 4 and 3 would be quite significant ...