Change of tax class online

44 posts in this topic

I need to change my tax class from IV to III and after visiting the KVR last week discovered they no longer do this and it's now done through the Finanzamt.

I was given a paper with the following web address to change my tax class online: www.finanzamt.bayern.de/muenchen (servicezentrum) and can't seem to find any online links there to change my tax class.

Does anyone know how to do this without physically going to the Finanzamt? I was there once before to get a tax number while freelancing and it was an absolute nightmare, so if I could avoid it, I'd like to.

Many thanks in advance!

That is because there is no online way to change your tax class.

So you will have to go there in person.

But don't despair, it is quite easy.

The Servicezentrum is a new glass cube building at Deroystr. 6 which is the central place where the Finanazamt deals with its clients, see here for the GoogleStreet View of the building so that you recognise it.

For reasons beyond my limited understanding the Finanzamt neglected to put a street number on it, so it is at no. 6 but knowing that won't help you find it.

Opening times:

• Monday - Wednesday: 7.30 - 16.00
    Thursday: 7.30 - 18.00
    Friday: 7.30 - 12.30

Go to the entrance of this glass building and you will see a red arrow and a sign saying that matters regarding the Lohnsteuerkarte (and your tax class change is just that) are processed in the building opposite.

You will need to bring along:

1. your and your wife's Lohnsteuerkarte (which will be the 2011 ones since no 2012 ones were issued), so you will have to ask your employers to give them back to you for this task
  2. filled in and signed application form Antrag auf Steuerklassenwechsel bei Ehegatten (2 pages!).

What to fill in?

• line 1: your Steuernummer (if you have one)
    line 2: your Steuer-Identifikationsnummern (each of you has their own)
    line 3: in your case: München

line 5: husband's family name / husband's date of birth
    line 6: husband's first name(s)
    line 7: husband's street address
    line 8: husband's postal code and city
    line 9: verheiratet seit: fill in date you got married

lines 10 to 13: wife's details, see lines 5 to 8

line 14: leave empty, you don't want them to call you

line 15: check the box to the left of "vier/vier"
    line 16: check the box to the left of "drei/fünf"

line 35: fill in the date. Both you and your wife will have to sign the form. To get to the second page click on the page2 icon at the top of the window.

They will process that form on the spot and give you newly printed Lohnsteuerkarten (or official papers with the same content) with the tax class 3 for you, and the tax class 5 for your wife.

Give that new Lohnsteuerkarte to your employers, who will then deduct income tax in accordance with your new tax classes.

Dear Panda Munich, what should I fill in line 2, since my wife has just arrived and doesn't yet have the identification number

Regards,

BSD

PandaMunich - I have followed a few of your posts and your info is really helpful. I had used some of your advices/info. I could only wish people at public offices were as helpful as you are. RESPECT.

Hi,

I need to change from Type 1 to 3 and my wife is not working - She came to Munich only few weeks back.

So, is there a need to get a Steuer-Identifikationsnummern for her also.

line 2: your Steuer-Identifikationsnummern (each of you has their own) - Can I mention only my Steuer-Identifikationsnummern

Thanks

Mani.

There have been reports recently that the Munich Finanzamt refuses to do the tax change unless you have both spouse's Steuer-IDs.

So you will just have to wait, sorry.

Am in Tax one and my wife is not working. So what should I fill in line 15 and 16.

Can I just leave it blank for 15 and select "drei/funf" for line 16?

can't we change the tax classes on-line now?

Today, a nice KVR lady told me that I should do it on-line (change for both me and wife), only that I forgot to ask for a link :(

On ‎16‎.‎09‎.‎2013‎ ‎16‎:‎23‎:‎44, balakris said:

Am in Tax one and my wife is not working. So what should I fill in line 15 and 16.

I am exactly in the same situation now, and not sure what to select on line 15. Your post dates 4 years back but the same form is used today, so I guess what you did then is still valid.

Could you please share?

10 minutes ago, PandaMunich said:

Fill in exactly the same.

Do you mean "exactly the same" as you explained in your post above, or exactly the same as balakris asked?

Thanks again.

On ‎16‎.‎09‎.‎2013‎ ‎16‎:‎23‎:‎44, balakris said:

As soon as your wife joined you, both of you should have automatically been put into tax class IV (= 4 = vier), so you would now apply for you to be put into tax class III (= 3 = drei) and your wife into tax class V (= 5 = fünf).

So fill it in as I said above, from 4/4 to 3/5, and to be sure they recognise that you're married, attach a copy of your marriage certificate (with a penciled in German translation on that copy, so that the clerk at the Finanzamt realises it's a marriage certificate!) and a copy of your wife'S anmeldung (= piece of paper she got when she registered in Germany.

16 hours ago, PandaMunich said:

As soon as your wife joined you, both of you should have automatically been put into tax class IV (= 4 = vier), so you would now apply for you to be put into tax class III (= 3 = drei) and your wife into tax class V (= 5 = fünf).

So fill it in as I said above, from 4/4 to 3/5, and to be sure they recognise that you're married, attach a copy of your marriage certificate (with a penciled in German translation on that copy, so that the clerk at the Finanzamt realises it's a marriage certificate!) and a copy of your wife'S anmeldung (= piece of paper she got when she registered in Germany.

Thank you very much PandaMunich. I did as you said, and went to Finanzamt this morning, and it took 10 seconds to complete the process. The officer was speaking English, and told me this change is valid from June. When I showed him the German translation of my marriage certificate, he said he didn't need it and everything is in the system. Only when I first told him that I wanted to change my tax class to 3, he verbally asked if I was married.

One last question I can ask on this topic may be that, if the tax bracket changes when somebody has a child? There was nothing in the tax change form regarding this, but the salary calculator in this link http://www.brutto-netto-rechner.info/gehalt/gross_net_calculator_germany.php has a question as "do you have children?", and based on the selection, it calculates different figures.

I know there is Kindergeld, and I also know that it is a separate thing and has nothing to do with the tax level. I will have questions for that in another thread :) .

Having children only means that you pay bit a bit less Solidaritätszuschlag - it only has very little impact.

Please also read:

@PandaMunich I was following this post and frankly it's very helpful.

Just a couple of quick questions which came out of curiosity:

1. Is it necessary that me and my wife, both have to be present in Finanzamt Munich for the purpose of tax class change ?

2. Is the last date to change the tax class for current calendar year 30 Nov 2017 ?

Thanks in advance.

25 minutes ago, Sanky said:

1. Is it necessary that me and my wife, both have to be present in Finanzamt Munich for the purpose of tax class change ?

Neither of you has to be present in person - both of you just have to sign on page 2 of the form "Antrag of Steuerklassenwechsel bei Ehegatten/Lebenspartnern", and you can then send the filled in and signed form by snail mail to your local Finanzamt.

25 minutes ago, Sanky said:

2. Is the last date to change the tax class for current calendar year 30 Nov 2017 ?

Yes, for a tax class change that is initiated by you, yes.

However, you can still get any overpaid tax back by doing a tax return, so even people who miss that deadline will get their money.