Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Moving to Lubeck

16 posts in this topic

Hello

Am planning to move to Lubeck from UK in the next few months and wondered if anyone had some information on the different areas of Lubeck, any to avoid or are particularly good. Will initially be looking for a short term apartment rental, then finding something long term. Not essential to be close to transport links and enjoy nature and outdoor life. Thank you.

Lübeck is one of my favorite cities in Germany, good choice! It is not too big, but has everything you need. Personally, if I moved there, I would look for something in the "Altstadt". It is really beautiful! But if you prefer nature, you may not like it - although you have parks and a lot of water. And since the city is quite small, you can get out of the centre by bike or bus quite easily and fast. And as you know: The Baltic Sea is very close! Good luck!

Avoid Moisling, St Lorenz, Kucknitz. Altstadt is good- no car needed, transport good, shops in city. As other commented- it is a small city. Lots to see, check tourism site too. Weekly/monthly bus pass great value. Travemuende not far- train, bus, or boat trip.

Easy to find small places to eat, and good fish. Check daily specials in Luebecker Nachrichten newspaper. ( Can see it in English on-line, but Google translation a bit weird at times). Check trains for trips to Copenhagen, RostockGood luck., Schwerin, Berlin.

Luebeck has a small airport , but just a couple of charter airlines.

Luebeck has a small airport , but just a couple of charter airlines.

RyanAir also flies out of Lübeck.

RE Luebeck airport- Ryannair no longer flies out of Luebeck. So- nearest airport is Hamburg.

I think you might be confused by Ryanair's (in)famous policy of (mis)naming the airports they serve, to awaken the impression that you can actually arrive in Frankfurt (Frankfurt-Hahn, out in the middle of nowhere, not near Frankfurt at all and very difficult to get to), Hamburg (Hamburg-Luebeck, actually in Luebeck and not in Hamburg at all) or Munich (Memmingen-Muenchen West). See here for more info.

Hi and congratulations for your choice,

Luebeck is a great city and seems to me very livable. It's great to be here with your family. I moved in last year in July and most probably I'll have to leave in November, but I truly recommend it for a quality, decent life. Once you get used with the weather, everything gets better.

It's difficult to say anything about good or bad areas around, since the criminality rate is not high. I live in St. Jurgen and I'm delighted with the quality of life here. I can reach Wakenitz lake immediately (a 10 minute walk through nice streets), shops are in a few minutes walk also, the city centre is 4 kms away (can be reached even by foot, in 45 minutes). I can reach the city centre by bike with almost no danger, since the bike lane is nicely arranged near the footwalk. I must say that St. Jurgen is quite big and that I live close to St. Jurgen's ring. The hospital is near me, the new tech centre and the University are 2 kms away. I have no problem with parking places, nor with the neighbours. Also, the rent is quite decent, since I pay 500 euros cold rent + 200 expenses, for a 80sqm apartment with big windows, in a 3 floor nice building.

It really depends on what you prefer and what type of person you are. City centre is quite noisy after 9PM, with lots of youngster groups drinking. They are not dangerous, but there's always that "maybe". For parking spaces you need to have a special permit (that states the fact that you live there). On the other side, you have the chance of feeling the city life better, since all the other areas are very quiet.

St. Gertrud is also nice. The area around Travemunde Alee is great and Stadtpark is near. If your POIs are not in the South of Luebeck, that's a great area also. Almost all Luebeck has forrests and you can reach a "rural" side near Wakenitz lake, but having something like Stadtpark close is not bad.

Moisling may need a car, but it has nice areas. I know a family living in a good looking apartment, with a very good arrangement of the surrounding buildings. The more you get farther on Moislinger Allee, the buildings will be a little bit uglier. But in general it's livable.

St. Lorenz North has good and bad areas. The parking places are not so many, you may have some trouble with that. The advantage is that it's quite close to the city centre. I've heard that in the cheaper buildings some drug dealers may have their nest (this may be just a myth).

I can't say too much about St. Lorenz South.

Please ask me any questions you'd like, I'll gladly answer.

Hi,

I am a British citizen looking to move to Lubeck within the next month. I was wondering if it is possible to find a flat which would be available short term, without having to sign a contract or pay a deposit (kaution), and also not have to pay extortionate prices over and above the flat rent. Oh and also which are pet friendly. If anyone has any suggestions or websites i could visit, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

very unlikely. All the features you are looking for make you an unopular choice for a landlord:

available short term

no written contract

no Kaution

price not higher than other places for which a contract and Kaution are required

pet friendly.

Now, maybe Lübeck is not such a popular area, so the market is easier than some places, however I think you're going to have to compromise on all the things you want. Your best bet may be to share in an already existing flat with other people - although even then, you are likely to have to pay a Kaution.

Thanks for the reply,

I kind of knew that would be the case, but thought i would at least try.

I am willing to compromise because i understand i was asking for too much.

Would it be possible to find a flat to rent long term without really expensive fees? And do you know what they normally ask for in regards to guarantees prior to moving in?

On 2/21/2015, 7:06:28, ruapehu said:

Hello, all! My husband and I will be moving to Lübeck in the spring. We will have housing in the innestadt provided by his company for the first couple months and will need to have a more permanent place around July. Does anyone have suggestions on how to go about searching for and seeing apartments? We will have a service to help us find housing once we arrive, but I'd love to do some research ahead of time. Any help would be appreciated!

Also want to throw in that we have two dogs, so I anticipate the hardest part about this search will be finding somewhere that accepts dogs.