The Business Travel Thread

How often do you travel on business?   61 votes

1. 1. How often on average per month on business

• Once
    • 2-5 times
    • 6-10 times
    • 11- to often
    • I never get to go anywhere using someone elses money

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

119 posts in this topic

Well, I am back from the Air Canada to the US trip. The Air Canada flight was fine. Entertainment system had a lot of movies and TV shows, service was OK. But I would not recommend this route going to the US. Although there was technically enough time between my flights, the Air Canada flight took more than a hour longer because of head winds and a more northerly route (to save fuel?). Upon arrival in YYZ, the Air Canada people were friendly (as most Canadians are!) and provided a hotel and food voucher. However, the crux of the matter is not just the delay. The US Customs and Immigration employees that are based in Toronto do not work past 9PM. So if even if you have time for your flight, you can't get your bags and go through customs. In my case, I wouldn't have made the flight anyway but this is something to keep in mind.

Also, the next morning, the lines for US customs are so long that they have resorted to ferrying people to the far end of the terminal at section Q and then announce the flights in 20 minute increments. You then walk the gauntlet behind the other sections until you get to the entrance for US customs and hand in your customs form and go to your gate.

IMHO: it's not worth it to go this route when flying to the US although Air Canada has this late afternoon flight. It's better to spend a bit more on the US carriers that go to New York late afternoon and transfer there.

Good to know, thanks for the feedback. Sounds like you were just unlucky with the headwinds and the plane probably flew further north to avoid the worst of them. But I think they are probably more common this time of the year, I have head of United 757's that fly trans-atlantic having to make fuel stops on some days during winter (when flying westbound) because of the headwinds at this time of year.

Talking about Air Canada, I read recently that they will start to introduce a Premium Economy cabin on their new 777-300ER planes when they come into service later this year. There are now being more and more airlines that are introducing such a cabin.

Well, with all the security folks randomly striking at German Airports I figure we could give some pointers.

1.phone the airline and confirm your flight. This cannot be stressed enough. If you turn up at the airport your just making life miserable for yourself. You can phone the hotlines in other countrys since the German ones will usually be overloaded.

2.many Airlines are canceling flight before hand. Your flight might have already been moved (check online).

3.lufthansa handout free german wide train tickets. Print them online or get them at the e-checkin at the airport using your etix number. In most cases the next airport is only 1-2 hours train ride away and beats 6 hrs waiting for a flight you most likely will not get anyways.

4.if you have to catch a connecting flight in Frankfurt or Munich take the train directly. The hassle is usually not worth it to travel to an alternate airport. For all other hubs (Paris,Copenhagen,London etc.) use the alternate airport option to catch the feeder flight.

Your hotel has also gone strike?

Stayed in an Italian hotel for ten days, Place was quite nice, But two mornings we were told "Tomorrow holiday no (included paid for) breakfast"

Roll and coffee did not worry too much. Why KFC gave up I suppose.

Anyone been in the Emirates business lounge in Dubai? How is it?

Im flying business, so I should be able to sleep on the plane(s), but Im not (yet?) looking forward to the stopover.

Any secret tips?

Next time ask if you can have a hotel, Emerites will give you a free hotel if thats the best connection possible and you stay over 8 hours. With booking on Emerites the best connections are sometimes on page 4 or 5 off the online booking website. The business lounge is great with showers and some lie down seats,the lot wifi hardly ever works though if it does you need a VPN for skype. Hope you got the 380 business much better than the 777 only problem the view is not so good because of the curve of the windows is up.

Small hint, many companies do not like you to book business unless you are travelling >x hours. Business has one very big advantage over Economy in that you can take two bags so can avoid checking your baggage which really does speed things up. However companies do often allow flexible economy tickets as business trips can change.

So, if you book earlier enough with Lufthansa, flex business can be cheaper than flex economy (?!) but it is good to screenshot both prices as proof for your company. If you do change though, you will probably end up back in economy but at least you get the extra miles. The business flex ticket is not quite the same as a full business ticket but there is no change fee, just you have to pay (or sometimes receive) the price delta. With Lufthansa, the CC processing fee is considered paid so if you do have to pay more, you don't have to pay it again.

Small hint, many companies do not like you to book business unless you are travelling >x hours.

My employer only sends us on the cheapest economy available - I'm sure they'd have us sat on the cabin crew's seats & serving the drinks if that would be cheaper still :(

Within Europe I fly economy, but if I travel intercontinental and stay less than 6 nights, I'm allowed to fly business. Has to do with recovery time. What I also like is checking in at the business class or even first class counter when you fly economy, because you have a certain status like Senator. It's much quicker.

Yes, I agree with Ruapehu that the business lounge of Emirates in Dubai is too loud and crowded. The one in Munich is excellent though with great food. Much better than Lufthansa. Once I bought an upgrade for Emirates first class with miles just to have the experience: "Would you like a glass of a 20-year-old Margeaux?" Me: "Well, if you already opened the bottle, sure." First class lounge is super in Dubai.

I also like the FREE limousine service of Emirates which is automatically included in the business class ticket. They pick me up in Munich in e.g. a BMW 7-series or VW Phaeton. I have neighbours leaning out of the window, haha. Who the hell is he?

If you fly economy with Emirates to Dubai, you normally face huge queue's at the immigration. With business class, Emirates gives you a fast track card. Excellent. I still have some spares at home :).

@GoBike: don't expect too much from Italian breakfast. Italians don't do breakfast like most Europeans since they have two hot meals incl. starter per day.

My next flight is a cheap charter flight to Mallorca. Bring your own drinks and food, haha.

My employer only sends us on the cheapest economy available - I'm sure they'd have us sat on the cabin crew's seats & serving the drinks if that would be cheaper still

To bad you can't take the horns eh ;) Maybe on Ryanair soon, woudn't surprise me. Just like TTair. :lol:

lounging in airports is so awesome. I arrive early to my flights sometimes just to sit round in my expensive bespoke suits swinging my bugatti key around letting everyone know just fucking global I am.

:lol: Like your humour

If you can afford a Bugatti(not just the key) your flying a G6. ;)

P.S.:Are you my SIL? She's the chairwoman of the "Young and miserable club".

My employer only sends us on the cheapest economy available - I'm sure they'd have us sat on the cabin crew's seats & serving the drinks if that would be cheaper still

Ours used to do that, then a bunch of people fell sick or needed to make last minute alterations so they changed the policy to "fully flexible". Funnily enough, I never had to change a flight but it did make things better, as they were trying to limit our hotels. The "Flex" policy immediately meant loads more miles, which helped me to get Senator last year. This also helps as when you are trying to use M&M partner lounges, they tend to have a "Gold" or business ticket only entry condition these days.

If you can afford a Bugatti(not just the key) your flying a G6.

And if you are flying a G6, it takes about ten minutes max, kerb to plane. When the powers that be introduced all those lovely security rules, they made sure that it did not apply to smaller jets.

If I fly on my private jet I would not be able to show everyone how global I am. I like driving my 2 million euro beast through the crowds of lowly Ferraris and Paganis et al letting them know how "shopping centre" they are.

Anyone else using Lufthansas blue legends? Cute app based on four square. Can't always find the flights though.

Yes I like the Embraer's, nice aircraft. Lufthansa & BA fly them from FRA - LCY, although the 190's are one of the biggest things that can go into City, so they really have to be thrown down on the tarmac for landing and reved up like hell before takeoff. Makes it interesting however (although my wife is not the best flyer and hates it!).

In the past Luxair flew a lot of the Embraer 145's (I think they still do) and I travelled with them a lot. They were very nice little planes and I loved the 'delivery at aircraft' for larger hand luggage and especially the 1+2 seating. When you checked in and were asked 'Window or aisle seat sir?' and could answer 'both please!' :)

Sounds cool. Probably be flying into city this summer so I'll be anticipating that take off.

We did a go around a few weeks back on approach to Hamburg. That was different for sure as on final we suddenly lurched up and did a steep climb because of the previous aircraft not having cleared the Rwy in time. :)

The Embraer is much more comfortable than the CRJs (Canadian lightning will strike me during the next rain :rolleyes: )I'm usually on with Lufthansa or SAS. Delivery at Aircraft is my preferred way to go also because it saves some serious time compared to the carousel.

Has anybody used the "Dubai Connect" option when Emirates has a lay-over of just over 10 hours? Experiences? Do they process you fast, whisk you away to a very close room where you can relax for a few hours, or do they piss you about for so long that you have no benefit from getting taken out of the airport? I may be flying through and won't have time for a stopover, but it may just be better to use the Emirates-lounge in Dubai rather than the Connect service.

In case anyone else is interested, I used "Dubai Connect" transiting through Dubai, and it was an excellent service. They offer it (I'm not sure if it's offered for the cheapest fares; but I went one way business and one way economy on a FLEX fare and got it for both directions) for layovers of between 8 and 23 hours; your luggage gets checked through to your final destination, but other than that you continue through immigration and security and pass through the baggage claim area quite normally as if you were staying in Dubai, just not stopping to collect your luggage. Head for EXIT 1 (to the left as exiting the terminal) and you'll see an Emirates counter where they collect the vouchers and send you to the hotel shuttle bus (normally waiting, they run every 10 mins or so) to be taken about 5 mins to a hotel. The day-room is nothing swish, but offers a bed and TV, meals as available at the time you're there and a pool in case you'd rather swim than sleep. they do a wake-up call to get you back to the airport in plenty of time for going through security/immigration again (you don't need to check in, but do have to do everything else).

Just on the airport express train from gardamon to Oslo. At 23€ I consider it a bit on the pricy side but then again everything in Norway is whooping expensive.

Anyone prefer trains to renting cars?