The Business Travel Thread

How often do you travel on business?   61 votes

1. 1. How often on average per month on business

• Once
    • 2-5 times
    • 6-10 times
    • 11- to often
    • I never get to go anywhere using someone elses money

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

119 posts in this topic

Turkish airlines do a great job in spicing up the safety videos. One airline has children as the whole cast and another has manchester united players.

Turkey as a whole is a damn cool country anyway. So exotic, so contradictive, so many creative ideas. bless them.

Found this on flyertalk

The constant among the fraternity of FT members can be summed up in one obvious word: TRAVEL. Some of the most enlightening threads involve getting lost on runaway-trains of thought about that uniting concept. Yesterday over a four-hour period, members ruminated over the highs and lows of frequent business travel in the thread “Just Offered a Job that Requires Lots of Travel.”

It was FT member cudalord who said, “I was recently offered a job that requires me to air travel 3-5 days per week. I have traveled internationally, and to many nationwide destinations, but never ongoing for work. I want your feedback as to the pros and cons of traveling all the time. I have a girlfriend (she is supportive of the job), but no kids or any other obligations except for my house which I own.”

And that’s when FT members weighed in. The comments read like those Russian dolls with ideas within ideas.

From looking through the highlights, we’ve put together the top 9 reasons why you shouldn’t travel for work. And the one reason you should.

CONS:

1. 150 nights in a hotel room will make you miss home. (silver-tls)

2. You may not be going to Paris, but Cowtown USA. (newyorkgeorge)

3. You’ll think about paying your mortgage, but not living at home. (silver-tls)

4. Most hotels have simple gyms, some hotels have full gyms. But finding the time to use them will be a challenge. (RCyyz)

5. You’ll miss out on a lot of things in your hometown, things you do with your loved one. (silver-tls)

6. Lots of business dinners and no home cooking. (Segments)

7. Six words: George Clooney, Up In the Air. (RCyyz)

8. You’ll go from one hotel that looks like any other to a conference room that looks like any other. (gfunkdave)

9. More often than not your view from the hotel will offer a stunning look at a highway. Or an oil refinery. Or a parking lot. Or a brick wall. (RCyyz)

AND THE ONE PRO:

The worst day traveling is 10x better than the best day spent in a cube. (brendog)

That about sums it up :lol:

Haha, so true :P

Well, i'm lucky that i cover europe and asia, which means i go to places like paris, milan, istanbul, southeast asia...

Does anybody know hw to find breakfast in a country that's all gone on strike?

I'M STARVIN'!!! :(

Does anybody know hw to find breakfast in a country that's all gone on strike?

I'M STARVIN'!!!

Your hotel has also gone strike?

Go to the woods man, hunt by yourself.

Spain. Sorted. Spotted a woman at a pedestrian crossing with baguettes under her arm.

It's amazing how quickly one can learn to communicate the fundamentals of a language when faced with starvation ;)

This being the family section, I won't ask which of the two you ate. :P

Strike breaker bakery. It least somebody is working...

Has anyone ever flown Air Canada to Toronto Pearson YYZ and then on to the US? I'm booked to fly FRA-YYZ-RDU on Air Canada and I've got about 1 hour and 20 minutes between connections. I've been to Toronto several times but always US-YYZ-US and never from Europe. I recall that the US immigration actually works on the Canada side clearing travelers. I assume this means I will enter Canada, go through Immigration, get my bag, go through customs, recheck the bag and then go through US Immigration? Is this cutting it close or is there another procedure?

I don't have direct experience of connecting this way (like you, I have only transferred the other way and a few years ago at that), but all airports have a minimum connection time (MCT) which determines the minimum time between flights that should be left before connecting. This varies by airport, arrival and departure destination (domestic, international) and sometimes by carrier and the terminal they use.

According to the Air Canada website http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelinfo/airport/connectiontimes.html#faq:6-*

The MCT for arriving in Toronto on an international flight and departing to the US is 1 hour 25 mins, so this means that you are under the MCT!

Normally an airline is not allowed to sell you a ticket which does not meet the MCT times. So based on this, I assume that you booked this as two separate tickets? (Also a quick look on the website shows connections which are at least 1h 50mins)

If so, then I am afraid that you will need to be quick when arriving and rush to make sure that you don't miss your flight, because if you do then you will have to take full responsibility. Even if the incoming flight from FRA is delayed by Air Canada and its their fault, you will have no rights for compensation or rebooking.

If you purchased the trip as a single ticket with Air Canada then you would have a safety net. If you inbound is late, or the immigration queue extremely long then they will take responsibility for making sure that you are put onto the next flight.

Some more information that might help is;

Toronto airport (information about immigration to the US) http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelinfo/airport/toronto.html

International -> US connection information & map http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelinfo/airport/yyz_intl_us.html

Also, you might want to post your question in this forum http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/

It's a forum for frequent travellers on Air Canada to ask questions and exchange information. I am sure that there are people on here who will have real experience of connections such as yours and give you more feedback on your situation.

Thanks - I actually have 1h and 40m so I am over the MCT but not by much. I ran into a Canadian friend last night and the procedure is as I outlined above. There is a US bag recheck-in outside of customs just like in many US international airports. I chose this flight because it leaves FRA at 17:00 (most US flights leave between 9-12) except for some NYC flights. Fortunately, Toronto is not a bad place to get stuck in! But I hope it doesn't happen.

Thanks for the link to Flyertalk - I actually posted that in the beginning of this topic but obviously forgot about it!

Well, here I am, stuck in goteborg waiting for a plane that hasn't arrived (should have been wheels up 5mins ago) :-s

SAS domestic terminal sucks here. This morning my 30min flight from Copenhagen took an hour after the plane took off delayed then had no crew. Then kept a holding pattern above goteborg because of snow clearing on the RWY. All in all it was 2hrs late.

Some days just suck...:-(

Edit:SAS is so cool they don't issue a boarding pass on domestic flights so you apparently remember your seat while you checked in:-/

Checking in was just zipping my M&M card through the checkin machine. Guess somebody's gonna tell me:-s

I haven't flown SAS domestic for many years, and then only a couple of time to/from Stockholm. But your story reminds me of a trip I done which was affected by snow a few years ago.

I was flying from Bergamo, near Milan, to Luxembourg. And about 3 hours before departure it starts snowing pretty hard. The plane arrives on time, but we are some 30-45 minutes late boarding. Then we sit on the plane for ages before de-icing starts, but afterwards we don't move and we sit on the tarmac so long that we have to be de-iced a second time. (There was at this time no other flights scheduled as we were the last of the day, so there was no backlog. Just Italian efficency!).

Eventually we start heading for the runway, full power is applied and we go flying down the runway and at about half way the captain throws on the brakes and we come to a halt. We head slowly back to the gates (remote stand actually) and the captain says that we didn't have enough power for take off! And he thinks it is because of all the snow. Thinks!

Anyway, they had to close the runway and clear it which took a few hours, we had to wait, and the second attempt was sucessful. So I finally arrived back some 5 hours late @ 03:30 in the morning.

God, I hate sitting on a plane while crap like that unfolds:-/ nice story dj.

Currently in Arlanda: Boarding in 45 and the snow is getting heavy. :-s

So, Boys and Girls,

What to do for yucks in or near Dubai international airport between 00:40 and 8:55 on a Saturday morning? Im coming from India and going on to Hamburg and yes, this was the best (and cheapest) connection.

Anyone been in the Emirates business lounge in Dubai? How is it?

Im flying business, so I should be able to sleep on the plane(s), but Im not (yet?) looking forward to the stopover.

Any secret tips?

Never been there but as I hear the business lounge rocks:-) enjoy the stopover;-)

Currently sitting in duesseldorf business lounge hoping (again) the snow won't become to heavy.

The business lounge in Dubai is nice enough but often despite its size pretty full, so not quiet.

Lotsa food!

Maybe split your time between the lounge and the shops - at that time of day in Dubai Airport they'll be busy!

Safety brief tuesday SAS/ GOT to ARL: "welcome aboard, the safety brief will first be in swedish followed by english". Now my swedish is nonexistant but the english part was "you will find a safety card in the seat infront of you" :lol:

Has anyone ever flown Air Canada to Toronto Pearson YYZ and then on to the US? I'm booked to fly FRA-YYZ-RDU on Air Canada and I've got about 1 hour and 20 minutes between connections. I've been to Toronto several times but always US-YYZ-US and never from Europe. I recall that the US immigration actually works on the Canada side clearing travelers. I assume this means I will enter Canada, go through Immigration, get my bag, go through customs, recheck the bag and then go through US Immigration? Is this cutting it close or is there another procedure?

Well, I am back from the Air Canada to the US trip. The Air Canada flight was fine. Entertainment system had a lot of movies and TV shows, service was OK. But I would not recommend this route going to the US. Although there was technically enough time between my flights, the Air Canada flight took more than a hour longer because of head winds and a more northerly route (to save fuel?). Upon arrival in YYZ, the Air Canada people were friendly (as most Canadians are!) and provided a hotel and food voucher. However, the crux of the matter is not just the delay. The US Customs and Immigration employees that are based in Toronto do not work past 9PM. So if even if you have time for your flight, you can't get your bags and go through customs. In my case, I wouldn't have made the flight anyway but this is something to keep in mind.

Also, the next morning, the lines for US customs are so long that they have resorted to ferrying people to the far end of the terminal at section Q and then announce the flights in 20 minute increments. You then walk the gauntlet behind the other sections until you get to the entrance for US customs and hand in your customs form and go to your gate.

IMHO: it's not worth it to go this route when flying to the US although Air Canada has this late afternoon flight. It's better to spend a bit more on the US carriers that go to New York late afternoon and transfer there.