The Business Travel Thread

How often do you travel on business?   61 votes

1. 1. How often on average per month on business

• Once
    • 2-5 times
    • 6-10 times
    • 11- to often
    • I never get to go anywhere using someone elses money

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

119 posts in this topic

With my tan and dark hair i often look mixed Ethnic. When I recently came back from Paris to Germany no one asked me for my ID, I mentioned that to my Husband and he said i was in the EU. Still seemed strange as i thought it showed how easy it would be for someone to switch or get by security. Although to be honest in so many airports I see such a lack of security I always tell people you just have to hope you don't end up on the wrong plane. I do glance around at people who are getting up into overheads during the flight. Not just for security, but I remember when an actresses son was busted for stealing out of the overhead luggage.

For packing I highly recomend rolling clothes for space and reduced wrinkles.

:

I'm asian and fly about once a month. Sometimes they check my ID, but most of the times they don't.

On Lufthansa in Frankfurt for EU flights, you can use the barcode on your phone to board the plane without ever talking to anyone or showing ID. You do have to go to the kiosk first though to check in but you still don't have to scan a passport there either. Admittedly, I haven't done this in a while having to lately check baggage but if you are travelling light, you can make the first person you talk to be the flight attendent for your drink.

www.flightmemory.comThis allows your to track your flights and all the details with them. It then produces statistics for you in total, and per year.

I use that to keep track of my flights. Who can top this :) ? Among other flights I have been 45 times to Africa alone.

post-147368-13510064588306.jpg

post-147368-13510064645194.jpg

I never bothered to keep track of my flights, but i think they are lesser than yours, luke! I fly mostly around europe and asia for work or holidays. The only continent i've never been to is africa though, total opposite. And now i've had enough of flying, am actually considering changing to a more 'local' job, been offered one today out of the blue and seriously considering taking it :) happy to finally be able to bid farewell to my frequent flyer card, lounges, airports, exotic locations and all that jazz!

Yeah,I know what you mean. It's like being George Clooney in "Up in the Air". Once I was on a business trip in Manila, then on the return I stopped in Dubai to do a 3-day workshop, came back on a Saturday in Munich and flew to Dar es Salaam in Tanzania on Sunday.

This year I haven't been travelling that much and I had more time to explore Munich. Really nice for a change.

For what it's worth I had a coworker who tried the following trick and I'm also going to try it for my upcoming interview in München.

This is for USA to Germany trips.

Wake up an hour earlier every day until the day you leave and therefore are 0-1 hours away from the destination timezone/sleep cycle when u land.

I was once sailing around corsica and sardinia for a week, flew back to stuttgart on saturday, drove up to bonn on sunday, took a train to duesseldorf and flew to milan on monday 4am. Came back home a week later, on friday 10pm. Another occasion was staying in vietnam over labor day weekend, missing out a chance of family holiday. Or flying through frankfurt-singapore-jakarta and back for two weeks. It feels like a female version of george clooney with the complications of family duties thrown in. Ugh. Bad example.

Yeah,I know what you mean. It's like being George Clooney in "Up in the Air".

I can twirl my suitcase like George does too. :lol: Damn, sometimes that movie is my life currently. :blink:

@desdemona: we should sync calenders;-)

Not sure if I posted this somewhere else yet but a few weeks ago I had a hilarious experience (in retrospect).

Munich has a "Sackbahnhof" meaning the trains can only enter and exit the station from one side. Well I had arrived in Munich recently by ICE and knew from previous times what it looked like.

Fastforward: I'm on my way to Frankfurt on an early flight, then take the S-Bahn from the Airport to the main railway station which is also a "Sackbahnhof".

I come up the stairs from the S-Bahn and it looks exactly like Munich?!?!?!

The same setup, same stores, same platform size. I'm thinking "Oh no! your not in Munich are you?!?!".

Frantically go looking for a sign telling me what station I'm in and finally see a Frankfurt am Main sign.

That was a heart stopping minute I tell you. :lol:

Haha yes. Having been to quite a few places, everything starts to look similar doesn't it?

Sync calendars? Not long anymore, dude. Am looking for more grounded jobs now. I leave the jetsetting lifestyle to you boys while I'll do a desk job and come home to my baby and kitchen everyday :)

On Lufthansa in Frankfurt for EU flights, you can use the barcode on your phone to board the plane without ever talking to anyone or showing ID. You do have to go to the kiosk first though to check in but you still don't have to scan a passport there either. Admittedly, I haven't done this in a while having to lately check baggage but if you are travelling light, you can make the first person you talk to be the flight attendent for your drink.

Yes I do this often. Handluggage only, flying in the Schengen area so the barcode is scanned when I board (normally via the automated gates at Frankfurt), so like you the first/only person I talk to is the flight attendant (who doesn't ask for my id!)

I use that to keep track of my flights. Who can top this? Among other flights I have been 45 times to Africa alone.

Sorry!

post-9116-13510652905872.jpg

post-9116-13510653969206.jpg

(PS. I won't tell you that I have probably over 100 flights missing, for which I don't have the details anymore. But I can't compete with others who travel much more, I used to travel more in the past but not so much now.)

Your stats are impressive. You have a lot of short flights in Europe. I also like my world map in the stats. It more or less resembles the route destinations of a major airline company. The one you find in an inflight magazine. I think I will order a poster someday and hang it up :).

PS- I actually have a colleague who would top your stats. She is now in New Zealand with her husband on holiday for 3 weeks. She is flying Lufthansa First Class bought with miles. I believe half a million or so.

So do you have to add all the information on your own or can I sync it with my miles and more stats (exactly the same stuff)?

I added it myself. You just need to enter a departure code, e.g. MUC, an arrival code like CDG plus the date and that's it. I enter those codes twice a year and use an internal planning tool as basis. It goes really fast. I know you can also import your flights using MS Excel, but that's a paid service.

So do you have to add all the information on your own or can I sync it with my miles and more stats (exactly the same stuff)?

M&M only has Star alliance flights which you recorded with them. flightmemory you can add everything. You can also record other details such as the seat row, window or aisle, class flown even the aircraft registration.

If you pay for premium membership then you can load in your flights via csv file. This helps if you have a lot from another source.

Your stats are impressive. You have a lot of short flights in Europe. I also like my world map in the stats. It more or less resembles the route destinations of a major airline company. The one you find in an inflight magazine. I think I will order a poster someday and hang it up .

Based on the stats you provided, I assume that this is not you? http://my.flightmemory.com/LukeSkywalker

But a good example of a frequent flyer anyway!

Just an idea to pass the time on flights without on-board entertainment. Make your own ;-)

post-25561-13511734684114.jpgpost-25561-13511734726523.jpg

I'm using a bookbook with my iphone and I have yet to find a plane or train I can't stick it into the seat and watch my favourite tv shows on the go. I'll usually watch one or two episodes of Big Bang and you can hear the occasional blurted laugh. :lol:

This will only work with iphones though...(waits for DK) :ph34r:

I always sleep on the planes :D except the long haul ones, then i'd find time to watch a couple of movies.