The Business Travel Thread

How often do you travel on business?   61 votes

1. 1. How often on average per month on business

• Once
    • 2-5 times
    • 6-10 times
    • 11- to often
    • I never get to go anywhere using someone elses money

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

119 posts in this topic

They check the ID twice already (when you enter the longue and when you board for the flight). What would the purpose of a third check be?

That's the point though, they don't.

Step 1: Enter Airport (no need to check luggage)

Step 2:Go to security to get undressed ;-)

Security only checks if you have a valid boarding pass (iphone app boarding ticket)but not if you are the person on the ticket.

Step 3:Get on plane again only a scan of the boarding ticket.

BTW:The lounges are beyond the security checks.

Maybe it's a Schengen regulation :unsure:

edit:

It is a Schengen thing apparently.

Checking the identity of the passenger is the airlines job.

Which they obviously don't do. On International(out of Schengen) flights you have an extra check apparently(can't remember ever noticing one).

Security only does a dangerous materials check(See Munich). So the only thing that could happen is somebody walking around in a secured area with the wrong name on the boarding pass.

shrug

In schengen, you don't normally get checked. Out of schengen, you will pass immigration police who'll check your passport.

Interesting anecdote, upon getting off a plane from Turkey, two policemen waited right at the end of the jet bridge to check the passengers passports and purpose of visit to Germany. They passed German/EU passport holders and residents and focused specifically on the Turkish passengers.

That's often done on flights from countries into Germany with a large population already living there (I heard this from a policeman friend of mine). I've been on flights from Turkey, Russia and the Balkans where that had those checks at the door. Could also be they don't fully trust the ground staff in that it seemed that all of the flights I was on were on the apron and we would be taken in by bus. The cops were right there at the door checking before disembarking down the stairs. Perfect opportunity for your Turkish cousin working as a bagage handler to sneak you in under the wire...

I think it is more likely to be countries that imigration is an issue from and that they don't trust the local groundstaff. I have had this from Tunisia, Morocco, Algeria where they make every one go past them one by one and check every body (although if they see that you are white european looking and have an EU passport then they don't even open the passport, just wave you through). And in such cases even if we dock at a gate, they made us exit from the rear stairs onto a bus. But with flights from Greece then I have seen them be a little more discrete and not force everybody to go past them, but more pick people out.

I never do judge people bey their looks etc. but unfortunately this racism exists in so many places. "white European looking"??? There are so many people in and from northern Africa that look more "white European" than many "white Europeans" do. And what about EU citiziens (some French, Brits, Germans,Scandinavians,...) who are not "white"?

Everyone should be treated exactly the same way or does it make anyone less "suspicious" for anything or a "better" kind of person having some "Nordic" or "WASPy" looks :( ???

This discussion was on another thread but in general it's up to the customs agents reaching back on their experience (profiling might sound more sexy)to filter who they want to check and who not considering they probably only can check 5% tops.

The flip side of your statement also means for anyone wanting to get by them they need only have a "Nordic" complexion. :rolleyes:

This discussion was on another thread but in general it's up to the customs agents reaching back on their experience (profiling might sound more sexy)to filter who they want to check and who not considering they probably only can check 5% tops.

The flip side of your statement also means for anyone wanting to get by them they need only have a "Nordic" complexion.

With my post I just wanted to express how unacceptable some of the agents behave and that they "trust" some people only concerning their appearances.

Any "profiling" ("racial" etc) should not be allowed and within these 5% "Europeans" should be included the same way as anyone else.

Am I the only one that wonders why nobody EVER asks for ID on European flights? Am I missing something here? Germany, Austria, Denmark and Norway recently all let me board without even knowing if I was the person on the ticket. Is there some funky facial recognition device somewhere I'm not seeing?

Only in Paris did I have to show ID before going to security.

Anyone got an idea?

signed not paranoid

they don't check your boarding card and passport at the gate?

No. Watched for it in Vienna on Thursday but again no check. It's not lax security just weird considering there are nofly lists nobody needs out there. :blink:

I don't believe you.

Every EU airport is basically the same:

- Boarding card before screening

- Boarding card and ID at the gate (some have egates before the gate but after screening)

- Boarding card at the plane door.

Ok, don't.

I never said they don't check the boarding pass, they don't compare it to the ID.

edit:I repeat...

It is a Schengen thing apparently.

Checking the identity of the passenger is the airlines job.

Which they obviously don't do. On International(out of Schengen) flights you have an extra check apparently(can't remember ever noticing one).

Security only does a dangerous materials check(See Munich). So the only thing that could happen is somebody walking around in a secured area with the wrong name on the boarding pass.

So what's your argument...(apart from me being a liar :blink: ).

I don't believe you.

Every EU airport is basically the same:

- Boarding card before screening

- Boarding card and ID at the gate (some have egates before the gate but after screening)

- Boarding card at the plane door.

This is probably the best practice, but i've experienced a varying degree of conformity to this best practice. Sometimes they compared boarding pass and passport, sometimes they just scanned the boarding pass, and most of the times they don't bother to ask for my boarding pass at the plane door (or i don't bother to show them but they don't mind). What maple dude observed is therefore realistic.

On a slightly related subject, I just came back from Tel Aviv - now that is a stringent process! It took 2hrs from arriving at the airport to enjoying a tasty beverage, it was firm but fair and so long as you budget the time, not stressful.

Hi Ruhetag,

Flying in and out of Israel incurs additional security checks, leaving Germany often means a separate check in area ( Munich use terminal 2F) and you get a good thorough screening. All in all its a little slower than usual but is no more than 30mins - passenger load dependent. However it is a good idea to find out where your check in area is, before you travel, it can be a good walk from the normal place!

When you leave Israel you have to have all your check in luggage screened and you will be questioned about where, who what you did in Israel - you can get a letter prepared by your company if that's who you were with and they trust you of course. It's good to have hotel bills etc just in case. After screening you may get selected for more thorough luggage searches, this is another queue and of course time is ticking. After this you can finally check in! Then normal personal security screening, passport control and then you're set.

Of course if you ring any alarm bells you will get more checks and these can be prolonged and uncomfortable, your airline will not be responsible if you miss check in time deadlines due to these additional checks!

So give yourself at least 3hrs, do the usual security stuff - no unknown stuff in your bag etc, have an itinerary of your trip and keep calm!

Hope that helps, there is more on the Ben Gurion airport website.

sprudel's post #32 makes it sound as if it's always like ths - this is certainly not correct.

The problem with the Schengen zone (for us individuals) is that you can't rely on not having to show your passport.

I recently flew Munich - Zürich - Valencia. My passport (ID) was not asked for on either of the flights. Then, in Valencia unfortunately my passport (and some other things) was stolen. I managed to get confirmation from Swiss Air that they would fly me back without (however, the British Embassy's official information was: Schengen or not, you must have an emergency ID). At Valencia Airport, I of course was asked for passport/ID (checked in online, hoping to avoid this, but at bag drop-off they wanted ID)...but eventually they let me go wth the email from Swiss Air. In Zürich I went up to the counter and told them to save time at boarding and they said: "No. this is Schengen. We don't want to see any ID".

I don't believe you. Every EU airport is basically the same: - Boarding card before screening- Boarding card and ID at the gate (some have egates before the gate but after screening)- Boarding card at the plane door.

I have flown quite often without anyone checking that I was the person assigned to my boarding pass. Most recently was last week when flying to Amsterdam. I went through security in Munich and only had to hold up my phone showing my bar code boarding pass and then straight up to the gate where I again, only had to scan my bar code to get on the aircraft. No ID check at all. That night on the return trip I again only showed my boarding pass at security and then scanned it at the gate to board. This happens all the time within the EU.

...course I'm lily white and usually dressed in business attire. That could have something to do with it. I would be interested to hear of first hand experience from someone of a darker skin tone on EU flights. Are they checking your ID?

Packing your suitcase...

I use a bag(got them at Tchibo for a fiver I think) for a pair of extra shoes and two more bags for clean/used clothes. Keeps it all separated and clean.

I use my carry-on even for longer trips. The wrinkel free shirts (Olymp) are great because you can hang them in the hotel room or better in the bathroom after a shower and after a few hours they'll be wrinkle free.