Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Where to buy crabmeat in Germany/Munich

9 posts in this topic

Hi,

I am looking for good crab meat to buy in Germany/Munich... the stuff what they call carb meat here is not even worth to mention...

Even Phillips would be OK...

Thx!

Did you try Viktualienmarkt (Fisch Witte are good, but there are loads of others), but be prepared to pay an arm and a leg. Or Frische Paradies (Google)? But I guess as you mention a brand you're looking for some tinned/processed substitute?

Have you tried looking at a propper seafood shop, like the one in the Karlstadt at hauptbahnhof?

tbe68, are you talking about blue crab by chance? If so, I doubt you'll find any as I never have anywhere in Europe...but if you do please let me know!! I was born and raised in Maryland, and good Tex-Mex and blue crab are the two food items I miss the most!

Assuming you're OK with canned crab meat, you can find it at some Asian markets. Thailand is a big exporter of canned crab. I've bought some before at the Orient Shop on Rosenheimerstrasse and it worked well for crab cakes or crab dip. It wasn't any different from canned crab I've bought in US supermarkets.

tbe68, are you talking about blue crab by chance? If so, I doubt you'll find any as I never have anywhere in Europe...but if you do please let me know!!

You can get it all over the south of France and the south of Spain.

This topic looks quite dead, but maybe y’all have some recent insights. 

Anyone know where to find blue crab (Callinectes sapidus) to order online or in a fish monger in Germany? I am Maryland born and raised and really missing crabs after a few years of being here now. Read some articles recently that blue crabs have recently invaded the Spanish coast and Tunisia, so thought they might be sold here now. 

I’m in Koblenz but totally willing to drive to Cologne or Frankfurt if it’s available. Prefer the whole crabs (alive or already steamed) but would settle for the meat.

@MollyWolly I'm going to Metro today. I'll let you know what I find. If Metro has it  but you don't have access to Metro, all you have to do is ask a small butcher shop if they buy from Metro and if they will get this for you. If you know any freelancers or you are one, you can get your own membership. I'll come back here and let you know.

@MollyWolly I am sorry to report that there is no blue crab meat at Metro. If you want them to order some, you have to commit to a godawful quantity. They recommended trying Asian supermarkets.