Taking off shoes indoors

54 posts in this topic

None of the houses I entered in Germany had a shoes off policy.

I was thinking the same thing... Maybe it's a generational thing??? (in addition to a class thing?). I don't think I have ever been asked to take off my shoes, and I absolutely don't care about people wearing shoes in my place... With the stiletto-exception of course, because of the old wooden floors, but I think that is pretty obvious! :-)

Taking your shoes off (without being asked) is just a polite sign of respect. Why even question whether to do it or not?

It is like asking whether to shake the hand of a man you just met. Sure, you don't have to..

Taking your shoes off (without being asked) is just a polite sign of respect.

It's actually a sign of either submission to the tenant's rules (that's the "respect" you mean) or unwanted disrespectful non-distance (if done without asking).

So what do you do if someone comes to visit and they have stinky feet. IIRC, Katrina, you had sweaty feet (but not necessarily stinky)? What do you do?

Give them the Febreeze.

Then again, it's exactly those high heels which are most likely to kill the parkett

What about killing the neighbor's ears? We had a neighbor upstairs who clomped around in heels and street shoes constantly. Removing shoes in an apartment is also about respecting the neighbors.

For fancy parties where I know the hosts, I tend to ask in advance - no point wearing an outfit that only works with killer shoes if I have to walk around without them all evening! For parties where I don't, I make sure my tights/socks are respectable, just in case, and that I won't break my neck on a pair of trousers hemmed for heels. (This latter policy emerged after I tripped on a tiled floor and narrowly missed crashing nose-first.)

I have 100% laminate floors, and virtually no rugs, so I don't really care what guests do, as it's easy to clean. I like to be barefoot where I can, but I have a foot problem that means I often need shoes indoors, or else I rip tendons. I have a pair of shoes that are indoors only for that situation - slippers aren't supportive enough.

(If I've been on the balcony or to the letterbox in bare feet, I do wash them before bed, since this point came up earlier, but not if I've only been wandering around the living room.)

I (being German) don't like it if hosts generally expect people to take off their shoes or even ask them to do so, especially if the guests are not well-known. I can only think of a few situations where taking off shoes indoors is expedient – if there's a toddler crawling around or if the shoes are covered with mud, furthermore if the hosts belong to a culture where keeping the shoes on would be disrespectful.

... if someone knows they are going to a gathering/dinner party at someone's house and they will be there for several hours do they ever bring their own slippers?

I do.

IIRC, Katrina, you had sweaty feet (but not necessarily stinky)? What do you do?

If my feet are ever icky, which happens if you're a flip-flop/thong/jandal wearer, I nip off to the loo and give them a wipe. Easily fixed.

It does have to be said that I generally have feet that are too hot rather than too cold, even in winter, so will often take off shoes and socks at work as soon as I can - I have an office on my own.

My floors are very old solid parquet in a very old building - I could tap dance in lead boots and nobody would hear!

If my feet are ever icky, which happens if you're a flip-flop/thong/jandal wearer, I nip off to the loo and give them a wipe. Easily fixed.

As someone who rubs feet for a living...I love you. LOL

I'd say that my private clientele are a mix but it leans more towards the "take them off if you want to" side of things. I keep my feet looking and smelling nice regardless so it doesn't bother me either way. :D

I asked a few technician guys to take their shoes off to come inside the apartment, even I offered them a pair of slippers. But they said they can't because they're their arbeitshöhe and they have to keep them on, otherwise the insurance company won't pay them back in case of an accident. 

I also noticed that in some rare cases the technicians are given plastic covers to put on their shoes when they enter someone else house. But, maybe 1 out of 10 times!  

1 hour ago, bobMorane said:

I also noticed that in some rare cases the technicians are given plastic covers to put on their shoes when they enter someone else house. But, maybe 1 out of 10 times!  

We have a couple of workmen who have been regularly over the last couple of years for odd jobs or estimates and they always put those plastic shoe covers on. For major works (for example we've just had 3 windows replaced) they bring huge rolls of floor coverings instead which we and they walk on for the entire time they're here.

We have some left over form various moves and cleaning services.
Any workmen who come and don't have covers, get some from us B)

1 minute ago, cb6dba said:

We have some left over form various moves and cleaning services.
Any workmen who come and don't have covers, get some from us B)

yes, i also thought buying some of those plastic covers and offer them next time. Then there shouldn't be any professional excuse unless the guy doesn't want to cooperate personally! :D