Taking off shoes indoors

54 posts in this topic

"If it's socks only, then make sure your socks are nice, no thin spots or holes."

- why can't you wear socks with thin spots or holes?? Surely a holey sock is not a big deal? Mind you, I once wore odd socks to the MILs - only cos I couldn't find a matching pair, not just cos that's how I roll - and she laughed and whooped like I'd just turned up with a giant chicken on my head or something.

Just ask "Schuhe ausziehen?" before you enter.

If they say " Ja, bitte" you take them off, and if they say "Nee, brauchst du nicht" you leave them on.

Polite and uncomplicated.

I'm a shoe off person at home and when I go by friends unless otherwise told.

I've had some workmen in today and was pissed as they had workboots on and I didn't have time to move the rug...apparently only Sleep country delivering matresses take their shoes off, we'll see when they deliver mine.

I always find it amusing when watching American shows, they keep their shoes on, high heels and all, put on the coffee table, the sofa and sit on the bed with shoes on...the first thing I do when I step in the door is to kick of my shoes.

... ask ...

... just ask.

...just ask...

... okay to ask ...

Just ask...

There appears to be a general consensus here.

In the US it is not unusual to keep your shoes on at home after having had them on all day, so when coming to Germany I was mortified to have had to take my shoes off upon entering someone's home. I actually once went into a friends bathroom and washed my feet just in case. I was very self-conscientious. So fast forward many years, and a friend from the US came to visit/stay with me for a few days. I kindly told him to remove his shoes up on entering my flat, which he did, but he had stinky feet. I know he showered, and sure we were out walking all day, but he had really stink feet.

So what do you do if someone comes to visit and they have stinky feet. IIRC, Katrina, you had sweaty feet (but not necessarily stinky)? What do you do? ;)

EDIT: Now, if I go visiting a friend, especially in winter, I bring my own house slippers. I get cold feet quickly.

I think they put them in fancy cupboards in the bedroom or something.

My German renters are keeping theirs in the 'fancy cupboard' next to the dining room. I was somewhat horrified. This is where I kept my fanciest linens! There is a huge, American style walk-in closet just behind... Um, that's where the shoes should go. But I didn't tell her that. :lol:

My new place has a small closet just inside the front door. We've got a shoe rack in there. I wear flip-flops in the house.

I do think I'd find it strange if I had been asked for dinner somewhere, have put on my little black dress and stockings or such, and actually dug out some high heels, and then get offered Hauspantoffeln...

Then again, it's exactly those high heels which are most likely to kill the parkett :unsure:

Yeh what is the obsession with being barfuss?? here. Even outside in 20 degrees+ my in laws give everyone a bollocking for not wearing shoes or socks. Get a life.

I like it that people generally take off their shoes on entering a house here.

I think that it shows respect for other people's living area, and it also dramatically cuts down the amount of cleaning that needs to be done, especailly fi children are involved at all!

Obviously, there are situations where it simply isn't appropriate, and cannot be done, but as a general rule I thnk it's a great idea to ask on entering...

Edit: @ Elfenstar - surely a good party depends upon the people, and NOT upon the shoes they are wearing?! TBH if anybody had a problem with that, I wouldn´t invite them again!

...Then again, it's exactly those high heels which are most likely to kill the parkett

In my old flat, I had really beautiful hardwood floors. In the rental contract there was a clause that stated I was forbidden from wearing stilettos. i had a few parties and I told everyone up front - no shoes allowed. That sucked for some.

Okay... shoes off. Foot wipes at the door, with a quick spray of foot calming botanicals and then house slippers like you get at the hotels. (I knew there would be a good reason for me stealing them all these years)! Seriously, I just open a bottle of wine and say ... to heck with it, I will just clean the floors again tomorrow. Need something to remind me that I am normal.

At others, I take them off, especially the SIL as I don't need her to hate me for more reasons. I always bring an extra pair of slip-ons that are like socks. I don't know what they have been doing on their floors...hehe..

re workers in with shoes: it's not like they have tons of time to be tiptoeing around your rugs; we don't have carpet anymore but when we did I accepted it as a natural law of the universe that they'd be tracking a bit of the Berlin ooze into the apartment; had not thought for a second to ask them to do otherwise. Mind you I did stare forlornly at the wet paw prints they left, life went on though. But I'm not nearly as sensitive as some:

(start watching around 2:57.)

This is a surprising find for me- I was too confined in my own world, I think.

Based on my previous short trips in USA, Germany & Italy- I always saw shoes on. That used to bother me because in my home country, we are always used to remove shoes before entering our own or anyone else's house- by default. So, looking at TT being almost unanimous that one should ask before entering surprises me and the similar custom in some countries- arising of this thought itself is a finding!

But now my question- how do I ask somebody to remove his shoes? Recently my friendly landlord entered with his slippers without even asking me. The same was with another visitor I had during my first week in this house. None of them actually bothered to ask me. So, should I tell them/anyone straight forward before they enter?

In my old flat, I had really beautiful hardwood floors. In the rental contract there was a clause that stated I was forbidden from wearing stilettos. i had a few parties and I told everyone up front - no shoes allowed. That sucked for some.

I have clause in my contract that when taking baths/showers I have open the skylight. Come winter I make sure the heaters are on 5.

@dessa I'm not expecting workmen to tip toe around my apartment, but I've got to clean it after they leave and wash my rug. Some companies do give their employees coverings to put over their shoes/boots.

The one that came to change the shower head even stood in my tub..grrrr

Something seems kind of funny to me about asking workers to wear slippers or take their shoes off. I dunno, to me it just seems like you just accept that things might get a little dirty when they're doing repairs or delivering and you may need to sweep/mop afterwards.

I would rather just have my guests do whatever they feel is comfortable. If they feel comfortable with their shoes off, then take them off. If they don't, then leave them on. If the floor gets dirty, then I can just mop/sweep it afterwards. I wouldn't want to possibly smell someone's stinky feet or have them feel self-conscious about it. None of the houses I entered in Germany had a shoes off policy. Hell, my boyfriend's mother and grandmother acted like I was going to die of pneumonia from walking around barefoot or in socks. :blink:

I have always considered the shoes-off policy for guests to be a class thing. When and where I grew up, guests got to wear their shoes into your house. Heck, my parents maintained a stocked cigarette case (filtered and unfiltered) for guests even though they don't smoke. And then I'd visit a pal's house in a slightly more working-class area and I'd be told to take m shoes off.

I don't wear shoes around the house myself, but that's all to do with comfort and nothing to do with cleanliness. I do wear slippers if I can find them, but I realise they make way more noise for my downstairs neighbour than shoes do (at 6'4" I don't need high heels).

You can't always protect your floors from getting dirty when people visit. Even if you ask people to take their shoes off, you don't know how clean their socks/feet are. When a buddy and his gf came to visit me, she had sweaty feet and left sweaty footprints all over the laminate. I think if they come back, I will ask her to keep her shoes on.

As for workers who are renovating your house, you kind of assume you have to clean up after them. I had a plumber at my house because of a leaky pipe and footprints were the least of the mess. They got dirt and dust all over the place.

I have always considered the shoes-off policy for guests to be a class thing.

Where I grew up, it was not a class thing, it was a question of who is family or family-like and who isn't. The family, parents, kids, kids friends coming over would all take their shoes off while guests were not asked to do that, could though if they wanted to. A couple coming over for dinner who were good friends might take their shoes off while if you had a big party, nobody would.

The workmen coming to my house here in the U.S. have either worn shoe-coverings or have laid down heavy-paper walkways through the house. I truly appreciate that, as my stay in Germany left me with an aversion to shoes in the house. Sadly, only one of my children goes shoeless on visits to me.