Immortality for Humans by 2045

66 posts in this topic

Immortality for Humans by 2045

A Russian mogul wants to achieve cybernetic immortality for humans within the next 33 years. He's pulled together a team intent on creating fully functional holographic human avatars that house our artificial brains. Now he's asking billionaires to help fund the advancements needed along the way.

Sounds like he took one too many of his pills the other night.

Coincidentally there was a bloke on Today just now saying there are already approximately 3 billion people too many on the planet for the resources the earth creates, assuming we will all eventually consume the same amount as Europeans or Americans. He called it a full blown emergency.

Malthus? Or the Russian. There was a show on NPR's TOTN about Malthus and his Gloomy theory, and Incredibly Gloomy theory essentially stating that populations always increase until they run out of food and disease and starvation limit their size. Kind of miserable.

If the Russians arrive with immortality pills then we'll end up with a wonderful acceleration of the proof. Lovely day for it.

Did the Russian ask for his brain replaced to an Avatar? May sound like Isaac Asimov, but can be possible that instead of creating an Avatar, let his brain preserved with an artificial blood circulation, while all sensory stimulation is electronically fed into different brain receptors directly. This will create an artificial world for the person, programmed by gaming programmers. Hence we can think about adding more rich dead brains in this network, and by pre-order they can reprogram the world of 'afterlife', Heaven? Hell? Whichever you want!!!

Edit: In case of an artificial brain, necessity of a body is completely redundant then.

As a concept it seems reasonable to me. Maybe not in 33 years - but in 300 years or 3000 years I don't see why not. Our brains are just computers - but without a backup mechanism.

The bit that I always like to consider, is if you did replicate your brain into another robot body, and allowed the old body to die naturally - then you could actually have multiple robot lives going on in different directions? Or perhaps that would be considered as 1 central "life" but each robot was just a part of your existence?

I don't see it would be a drain on resources, as you could/would just live a virtual life within a computer modelled world - where you could fly or whatever you wished.

But....that would be like a boring video game where you could never die...so the trick would be to program the system so that you did NOT realise that you were just an immortal virtual life - and you felt like you were truly alive and could die at any time. Pretty much like The Matrix.

And then clearly - logically - I may in fact right be doing that right now, and the rest of you are all just characters in my virtual life. When I die - the game just reboots and I play the next game as Gandhi or Hitler or Jack the Ripper.

...if you did replicate your brain into another robot body, and allowed the old body to die naturally - then you could actually have multiple robot lives going on in different directions?

So it would then be possible for one to fuck oneself... post-133917-13923722350271.gif

But....that would be like a boring video game where you could never die...so the trick would be to program the system so that you did NOT realise that you were just an immortal virtual life - and you felt like you were truly alive and could die at any time. Pretty much like The Matrix.

Amazing, huh? I was reading up on this not so long ago; the idea that we may as well be living in a computer simulation or a holographic universe even. Will link it up later.

As a concept it seems reasonable to me. Maybe not in 33 years - but in 300 years or 3000 years I don't see why not. Our brains are just computers - but without a backup mechanism.

The bit that I always like to consider, is if you did replicate your brain into another robot body, and allowed the old body to die naturally - then you could actually have multiple robot lives going on in different directions? Or perhaps that would be considered as 1 central "life" but each robot was just a part of your existence?

This idea both scares and excites me. If my brain is replicated, it would be well...just a replication of me. I guess the memories or the overall personality will still be original but isn't it still a copy of the original person (or being?).

I'm not against this concept but feel more inclined towards biological longevity. I would love to be able to age without being mortally sick, or spending last years drooling on a chair in an old age home. :P

Biological Longevity you could argue is already happening - the difference however is that you can still get smudged in a car crash etc. Once you have a backup you could go bungee jumping without a bungee if you wished....

Well I must say this is all pretty depressing,... 2045 you say?... Great! I shall be 100 years old by then and who the hell wants to spend eternity as a cranky, creaky, incontinent and impotent old man? At a 100 I'll probably have had my Drivers Licence taken away, my liver will be mush and the only girls that will go out with me will 125 year old "Cougars"! (by the way just exactly what does a 100 year old man do whilst out on a date... nap?) Nope,... shuffling off this mortal coil and joining the Choir Etherial at 85 is what I'm looking for. I may be dead, but at least I'll still have my dignity. Dave the (aged) Barbarian.

We've already essentially made natural selection obsolete, which is a good thing, but it also means we're propagating traits that should've/would've naturally been weeded out. Making people immortal is going too far with this thing, though.

I, for one, don't want it. Let me die in peace, when my time comes (which will hopefully not be too soon, but long before I'm unable to care for myself).

JE - you might enjoy this book.

Nothing lasts forever! As a matter of fact you are renewing yourself every day a little bit. Cells in your body get renewed all the time and scientists in California are exploring how to replace whole body parts. Nature is renewing itself (you that is) by letting you produce semen and/or egg and life continues that way.Natural influences change that DNA somewhat over generation and what the results may be in another hundred thousand years is left to our imagination.

Humans have got to the conscious level and can influence their continuation as life form as long as mother nature does not interfere or all intelligent life forms die out, caused by as not yet known vagaries of natural powers, like the world breaking apart or the sun expanding all its energy into the vast space of the All, which could cause life as we know it to disappear.

If we can pay credence to the teaching of evolution it is most likely that life development will make a full circle and we all be eaten by viruses and bacteria which are also life beings and smart too, because they adopt to the cleverness of man without a microscope or fancy offices and all without collecting annual contributions.

I, having reached the ripe old age of 85+ do not give up yet as long as they let me drive my car. But looking at my friends and relatives the rows of faces with which I'm familiar is thinning out every year and that makes me look over my shoulder and wondering when the call comes. In the mean time I stay on TT and the internet to see how things are going.

As for immortality, you can give up that phantasy. What good does it do you when you are dead? Whenever that Stemcell you started your life with is deprived of oxygen, it's over and memory is only good for the living.

Death is eternal.

Death is eternal, I agree with you. But it can be significantly delayed as it has already been in the past century. We are living 30-40 years longer now than we did 150 years ago. I don't see anything going wrong with (healthy) longevity. People living healthier and longer, working longer, hopefully paying taxes for longer.

Having said that, I don't like the word 'immortality' much to be honest, it sounds more like a marketing gimmick. How can one define immortality anyway, it could be 500 years or 5000 years or...

Even cybernetic immortality will have its own existential risks.

People living healthier and longer, working longer, hopefully paying taxes for longer.

One would think so, but didn´t they lower retirement age recently?

Where did they do this? In Germany there are plans to raise it from 65 to 67, which should work well in a country in which it's near impossible to get a job over 50...