Health insurance for unemployed/returnees

263 posts in this topic

If you're in TK, then you're in the fortunate position of already being in the public insurance system, so no need to apply.

Actually she technically does. She is currently Pflichtversichert and would need to contact them about become a freiwilliges Mitglied (voluntary member). However, she does not seem to meet the requirements for voluntary membership under §9 Abs. 1 SGBV.

You will need to ensure that your health premiums are paid during any period of unemployment - either via the Arbeitsagentur, if you're eligible to receive ALG I, or paying them yourself if you are not eligible to receive ALG I.

A minimum of 12 months of contributions in the past 2 years within the EU/EEA/CH are required to be eligible for ALG I, which she doesn't seem to have.

Okay, thank you both for your input and advice, I really appreciate you taking the time. :)

Hi,

I moved out to Munich from the UK in August 2011 with my partner on an expat contract under which we were both covered by private health insurance from Vanbreda. I have recently taken a local german contract and have signed up to the Betriebskrankenkasse which takes effect from 01.03.2013. I was assuming i could cover my partner who his currently unemployed under the same policy but because we are not married he cant be insured.

He was working for a local company last year for 2 months who also took out Public health insurance for him with AOK. Unfortunately he became ill and was in hospital for over 3 months which was covered by the private health insurance and his employers cancelled the AOK insurance and he lost also his job.

He has registered with the Arbeitsamt but not yet had an interview to make things official but my question is how can I get him insured with a public health insurance policy until he finds further work? is it possible to recover him on the AOK policy taken out by his previous employer? if so how much can we expect to pay? Is it possible to get assistance with cover from the UK? He is diabetic so its important we get cover sorted before the private insurance runs out.

for any advice I would be very appreciative.

Many Thanks

Good advice from Panda. I´ll add: ask the Arbeitsamt if they´ll pay for insurance and try to get back into AOK. It´s a long shot and you have left things much too late. He was insured last year? Oh dear.. was he already ill with diabetes? If so, lucky that the private insurance paid if they weren´t informed if it was a pre-existing condition.

Why should you expect cover from the UK? The only hopes are: you getting married, your partner getting a job or hoping the State will help.

´Tis a complicated situation but sadly not uncommon when people don´t do research about health insurance before coming here. There is NO NHS here.

I hope your partner finds work and better health.

I am a professional independent insurance broker and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

how can I get him insured with a public health insurance policy until he finds further work?

As a last resort you might employ him part-time as your housekeeper and pay him more than EUR 450/month. That way he should be versicherungspflichtig and they should have to accept him. Not sure though, but maybe worth finding out?

Hi,

I moved out to Munich from the UK in August 2011 with my partner on an expat contract under which we were both covered by private health insurance from Vanbreda. I have recently taken a local german contract and have signed up to the Betriebskrankenkasse which takes effect from 01.03.2013. I was assuming i could cover my partner who his currently unemployed under the same policy but because we are not married he cant be insured.

He was working for a local company last year for 2 months who also took out Public health insurance for him with AOK. Unfortunately he became ill and was in hospital for over 3 months which was covered by the private health insurance and his employers cancelled the AOK insurance and he lost also his job.

He has registered with the Arbeitsamt but not yet had an interview to make things official but my question is how can I get him insured with a public health insurance policy until he finds further work? is it possible to recover him on the AOK policy taken out by his previous employer? if so how much can we expect to pay? Is it possible to get assistance with cover from the UK? He is diabetic so its important we get cover sorted before the private insurance runs out.

for any advice I would be very appreciative.

Many Thanks

Katie: the important question now is this (because the AOK may have been wrong in chucking him off): how and where was he insured over the past 5 years?

Obviously he was, according to you, with Vanbreda between 8/2011 for some time - but he also was insured beforehand in the UK with the NHS, right? This would have to count together with the two months at German AOK and if the total is more than 24 months out of the last 5 years (NHS and AOK together) then AOK was incorrect to cancel his memberhip - but they may have not know better because no proof was supplied by you guys that he was with NHS for some time out of the last 5 years?

If on the other hand he has had no coverage in any EU memberstate's public health insurance other than 2 months with AOK during the past 5 years, then indeed he has no right to join the public health insurance as a voluntary member in Germany right now.

Can you check and let us know the necessarry details, please?

Cheerio

I am a professional independent insurance broker, financial adviser, and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

The problem may be that he didn´t inform AOK that he´d lost his job and thus didn´t ask for freiwillig continuation of the public insurance. Tough one this.

I am a professional independent insurance broker and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

Hi guys,

thanks for your comments. I know this is a tricky one. We are both british citizens and were covered up until 08/2011 by the NHS. As I mentioned as part of my expat contract we were both covered by an expat health insurance paid for by my company which automatically covered my partners pre-exisiting diabetes condition. When he started work in July last year his employer requesteed his insurance details but as this was a private expat policy already paid for by my employer and he had no Sozialversicherung in place, they registered him for Rentenversicherung and the AOK Krankenkasse. When he was admitted to hospital we used the private insurance as this gave him much better cover and we received a letter from the AOK in September to say his employer had notified them that he was no longer in their employment. Whether they completely cancelled the cover I am not sure but he hasnt paid since end of August 2012 and as we were unsure if we were staying until January this year we havent contacted them. Should i contact the AOK and see if they will cover him as freiwillig versichert?

thanks

All the public insurance companies are the same :)

The only difference is that AOK sends lots, lots of useless letters - that´s why I want to move.

In terms of covering hospital expenses the only generous one is BG (Berufsgenossenschaft).

Hi guys,

thanks for your comments. I know this is a tricky one. We are both british citizens and were covered up until 08/2011 by the NHS. As I mentioned as part of my expat contract we were both covered by an expat health insurance paid for by my company which automatically covered my partners pre-exisiting diabetes condition. When he started work in July last year his employer requesteed his insurance details but as this was a private expat policy already paid for by my employer and he had no Sozialversicherung in place, they registered him for Rentenversicherung and the AOK Krankenkasse. When he was admitted to hospital we used the private insurance as this gave him much better cover and we received a letter from the AOK in September to say his employer had notified them that he was no longer in their employment. Whether they completely cancelled the cover I am not sure but he hasnt paid since end of August 2012 and as we were unsure if we were staying until January this year we havent contacted them. Should i contact the AOK and see if they will cover him as freiwillig versichert?

thanks

You can only but try..could be difficult but it might work because he was previously insured with them. However, expect backpayments if they do take him back. Good luck.

No way, inlovewithmedicine - they would want proof of pre-insurance and the dates. They don´t like gaps here....

well, I had a 2 months gap between jobs and nobody asked me money for that period.

I had no insurance in between - went to aok back then to pay for those 2 months and they said u have to do that only if u have a more than 3 months gap. So I had no insurance in between.

we received a letter from the AOK in September to say his employer had notified them that he was no longer in their employment. Whether they completely cancelled the cover I am not sure but he hasnt paid since end of August 2012 and as we were unsure if we were staying until January this year we havent contacted them. Should i contact the AOK and see if they will cover him as freiwillig versichert?

I think it is too late for him to apply for a freiwillige Mitgliedschaft (see SGB V §9 Abs. 2).

(2) Der Beitritt ist der Krankenkasse innerhalb von drei Monaten anzuzeigen,

1. im Falle des Absatzes 1 Nr. 1 nach Beendigung der Mitgliedschaft,

Hi guys,

thanks

Usually AOK could only terminate the health insurance coverage nowadays if your husband was self-employed and came from outside the EU with no prior public health insurance in an EU memberstate and would have had less than 12 months coverage in Germany with AOK (or the likes).

Therefore in my opinion eitherone or the other of the two options below is correct right now:

1) AOK did not terminate the contract but rather informed you guys that your husband was moving from compulsory public health insurance as an employee to voluntary membership as a self-employed or person with no own source of income. In which case you'll need to contact AOK soon and arrange for backpayments since August 2012.

2) Or, AOK did terminate in error, because they have not been aware of your previous coverage with the NHS which has to be counted just like previous coverage with AOK or another public health insurance from Germany. In which case you need to get back to them with a proof of NHS coverage for the past years before and demand to have your husband reinstated because AOK has to accept NHS coverage according to EU directives just like prior German public coverage. You might then, too, have to pay back-charges til August 2012, though.

Cheerio

I am a professional independent insurance broker, financial adviser, and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

Therefore in my opinion eitherone or the other of the two options below is correct right now:

1) AOK did not terminate the contract but rather informed you guys that your husband was moving from compulsory public health insurance as an employee to voluntary membership as a self-employed or person with no own source of income. In which case you'll need to contact AOK soon and arrange for backpayments since August 2012.

Either way wouldn't he have been required to apply to be a voluntary member within 3 months of his employment ending? AFAIK voluntary membership is not automatic and the onus is on the insured person to apply for it.

I see it that way, too, engelchen , but wonders will never cease..he can only try. I´ll be interested in AOK´s reply.Best case scenario would involve backpayments, though.

I contacted AOK this afternoon and they said easiest way is if he has 'Anspruch auf Arbeitslosen Geld'' if not they are sending me forms to find out if they can insure him. I called arbeitsamt and he's not entitled so will have to wait and see if they'll cover him. Fingers crossed. I'll keep you posted.

In response to why he never registered freiwillig with AOK, he is covered by my expat insurance with Vanbreda until march 2013 and it was not clear that we would be staying in Germany until middle of last month. I therefore didnt see the need to continue. He has effetively been lückenlos versichert since we moved here just not with a public insurance company. I was also given the information by the BKK when I initially inquired that I could cover him so long as he wasn't earning more that 375 Euro a month. It was only mentioned that we had to be married when I registered with them last week. My only hope now is the AOK recover him...