Health insurance for unemployed/returnees

263 posts in this topic

My biggest surprise was the negative respsonse from a representative in an HR department in Berlin from a large international Canadian company.

WTF!?! :blink: But their company language is English in Berlin! I actually interviewed for a position there a few years ago and all the entry-level admin positions required both English and German and the mid-level and executive positions only required English.

(I'm assuming we're talking about the company that makes trains and starts with a "B", right?)

Hi,

I had kind of the same problem. My mother is german and my sisters and I all have a german passport.

When I moved here, my now husband went to TK and wanted to sign me up - no chance. They turned him down quicker than he can think, but as a beamter he knows the system and worked the law.

He signed me into a uni. for studies that didn't have a max of allowed people (I have my MBA) and once I was in the TK signed me up problem free. After a semester I 'dropped' out. I never even signed up for a class, all I had to pay was the semester fees.

Would that be an option for you?

@Kat80

Before you needlessly start scaring truemana, can it be that your husband as a Beamter has private health insurance?

If yes, then he probably isn't as au fait with the law governing public health insurances as john g. is, who deals with this on a daily basis.

Show your husband the article of law that john g. mentioned in post no. 11, §5 Absatz 1 Nr. 13 SGB V.

That article is clear, as long as you weren't self-employed in your country of origin, German public health insurance has to take you in if you are German and have never been insured before in Germany.

About the university route, that would entail truemana passing a German test in order to be admitted to university.

Or to register for a very expensive university degree that is held entirely in English.

So neither seems a viable alternative.

WTF!?! But their company language is English in Berlin! I actually interviewed for a position there a few years ago and all the entry-level admin positions required both English and German and the mid-level and executive positions only required English.

(I'm assuming we're talking about the company that makes trains and starts with a "B", right?)

That's the one!

Funny thing is, the person at the front desk, who TRANSFERED me to HR, spoke great English.

Thanks for all the replies, guys. I'll just be pursuasive and provide an update when I've got an answer. I shouldn't go on this emergency-only health insurance for much longer.

Quick update! TK will insure me. Exactly €149.63 as mentioned by John G. Almost completely in the system...

I´m pleased it´s working out for you, truemana. Just for the record, it was PandaMunich who calculated that exact sum! I´m much too lazy to do that!!!

I am a professional independent insurance broker and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

Quick update! TK will insure me.

Did you find out what made them change their minds even though they should have said yes in the first place?

Hahaha I guess my cousin just talked to the right person... The guy sounded surprised the last person she spoke to said no to insuring me. Hopefully this thread is helpful for some one in the future!

I hope so, too, truemana..but it would be even more helpful for someone in the future if your cousin mentioned any of the points Starshollow, PandaMunich and I made here and if that were the reason. After all, why did the " right " person sound surprised? Did your cousin do that? Let us know! THAT would help many in such a quandary.

I am a professional independent insurance broker and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

My cousin didn't have to quote any portion of the law. My cousin re-explained my situation (german citizen, unemployed, registered as a job seeker with Artbeitsamt, living on savings) and the TK said that I am eligible. If I WEREN'T living on savings and was on Hartz IV, I would not be eligible to enroll with TK. That's what I understood when she re-iterated it to me.

It should be noted that in the first phone call she had where I was rejected, the person on the other end apparently put her on hold and did some research and asked some questions of her superiors. It may be that the detail about me living on savings was not conveyed.

So, moving forward, TK is sending 30 bzillion forms (exaggerated) to my cousin's house, where she lives during the work week, and she will call me and fill it out and mail it to me to sign. On the form, I can authorize her to communicate on my behalf as needed in German. Otherwise, I would have to deal with it all myself. The nice guy at TK gave me a temporary "customer number" to reference to them while I'm in the enrolment process. I will receive all the final documentation in the future.

I hope that answers some questions. Let me know if there's any holes in this. Thanks so much everyone!

If I WEREN'T living on savings and was on Hartz IV, I would not be eligible to enroll with TK. That's what I understood when she re-iterated it to me.

Huh?!

Techniker has to take anybody who is "versicherungspflichtig" (= has a duty to be publicly insured), they can't pick and choose.

They are a public health insurance like all the others, and are governed by the law (in your case: §5 Absatz 1 Nr. 13 SGB V, which says that your are "versicherungspflichtig"), i.e. they have to insure you!.

To quote this article:

"Jeder kann zur Techniker Krankenkasse! Jeder! Und die müssen auch jeden nehmen! Auch Arbeitslose, Hartz 4 Empfänger, Kranke, Gesunde, Junge, Alte, Männer, Frauen, Kinder, Omas, Opas, Schwester, Brüder, Cousinen usw. "

On the form, I can authorize her to communicate on my behalf as needed in German. Otherwise, I would have to deal with it all myself.

Huh again.

I can't find any such authorisation on the bilingual TK application form, but maybe john g. can shed some light on this.

I agree with Panda..I can´t see any reason why they wouldn´t take someone on Hartz IV.

There is also no need to deal with the Techniker in German! The application forms and insurance terms and all the rest of it are clearly available in English. This is where Techniker are clearly stealing a march on the other Kassen, realising there are non-German clients out there! And plenty of them!

If you still can´t handle the forms by yourself because you´ve no idea - then contact an independent insurance broker who´ll help you with them.

I seem to have fallen into a similar situation. I wish I had made my self more clear when I was talking to the woman at TK. I am Canadian and recently got UK citizenship via family. I came to Berlin with travel insurance. That expired so I went to register with TK. Yesterday they finally sent a letter back saying that I said I was working freelance in Canada and that's a problem. I was unemployed in Canada and looking for full time work for a few months after I was layed off from a full time job. The situation was not great so I changed to looking for freelance work. I didn't find any and decided to use the newly acquired UK passport to try Europe. I'm a computer graphic artist and I knew Berlin is a great place for creative people and affordable if you don't have a job waiting for you yet.

In order to get the travel insurance for 1 year I had to pay the Canadian health system for the same amount of time. So that is what I did, no problem. Is there any point in trying to reassure TK of my sincerity with this fact?

After reading these previous posts, (I wish I had sooner) I now see where the problem is. Can I go back to TK and tell them the misunderstanding or will they accuse me of lying and therefore make this whole situation worse? I'm very concerned as my insurance has expired, what is my status in the country? What are my options?

I've been looking for full time and freelance work in Berlin but haven't signed a contract yet. Many opportunities for working for free with the promise of future payments...

I thought as I'm volunteering to pay TK for the monthly amount that I could begin my enrollment with a EU health system without problems. It seems if I can fix the misunderstanding then this could be the case?

Thanks for any advice.

I´m afraid you can´t get public German health insurance, Canuck in Town - despite your British passport. You haven´t been insured in a European public system for either the past 12 months or for 2 of the past 5 years - that is the problem. Even a British citizen who had been working outside Europe for the past 6 or 8 or 10 years can´t get into the public system as a freelancer newly arrived here.

A Canadian passport holder who´d been living in France the past 12 months COULD!!! Therein lies the crux of the matter.

Your best and most feasible way forward is to take out a legal international health insurance ( by legal I mean recognised by the German Financial Supervisory Authority, BaFin).

Ask any of the brokers advertising on Toytown for help with this. ( Check out the Premium Services Offered list ).

Fully agree with John:

1. German public insurance is a no-go unless you get employed or (which might be possible with your line of work or not, one never knows) apply succesfully with the KSK (Künstlersozialkasse, special service for art related professions).

2. German private insurance won't touch you with a barge pole even though with your UK passport they should. Only chance would be the so-called Basis tariff for the small, affordable sum of clsoe to 700 EUR p.m. just to have the priviledge of about the same coverage like public health insurance

3. that leaves you only with one option to have a health insurance with which you fulfill the German laws which require you to have a REAL health insurance accepted under German laws: an international health insurance from a registered and recognized provider. Since not many of them are, you might want indeed contact one of the well-know and respected brokers advertising here on Toytown. Take your pick...

Cheerio

I am a professional independent insurance broker, financial adviser, and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

Thanks John, Starshollow

I'm VERY actively looking for work in any field right now. I am now looking all over Germany and have found 2 possibilities in computer graphics. But I'm terrified that my current lack of insurance will mean I'm not here legally. Please tell what my status is in your opinion. Will I be asked to leave at some point?

Your help is much appreciated.

Evening, Canuck!

Your status is the following:

you are not health insured so, aside from the legal issues , you are in danger of crippling bills if you have an accident or have an unexpected illness, for example. A friend of mine in Hamburg recently had to have an emergency operation to save his eyesight in his right eye. He´d been to have a check up and was warned: get to hospital now or..he went same day.

4 days in hospital - his right eye is saved. 4,000 euro bill ( and still counting )..his private insurance is paying - he got the all-clear.

Do you want to run that risk?

Another assumption: have you registered your residence in Germany? Imagine you actually get offered a " proper " job as an employee and you think " yep, sounds good, cool..security ".

So then you can get (or maybe have to, depending on income ) public health insurance. What does public insurance want to see? Proof of current insurance elsewhere ( not available in your case in a European country ) AND proof of your registration here...you have been here 5 months, for example, without insurance? Ok, then the public insurance says " tough, 5 months you pay us backdated though you haven´t been insured, ok? "

Your question, by the way: it CAN happen. We had an EU citizen as a client two years ago who registered for dole money ( unemployment benefit ) and got it. A bit later he was given ONE month to prove he had legal health insurance or be DEPORTED.

Get health insurance, man.

Disclaimer: this advice is given to you by someone who roamed the world for 8-9 years without health insurance!!! I was young and naive..don´t follow my example.

Hi there!

I have a question regarding my status here for insurance.

I arrived in Berlin 31.02.2012 and was working a mini from 1.04.2012. I had a travel insurance upon coming here until I found a job where I was earning enough. That was finally in 1.6.2012 where I became a member of TK. I worked at that job until I moved to Dresden at the end of September, where I immediately started at a new job and stayed a member under TK. As of January 31st of 2013 my job has been terminated because the company is shutting down.

( I am a Canadian citizen, who previously lived only in Canada, and as of October 2012 I applied for and received an Irish passport)

Question: Once February 31st 2013 comes along, can I apply for the public health system? Or do I have to pay everything on my own through a private insurance? I'm confused..blah.

I know I can't apply for that E111 form or however it is called because I never actually lived in Ireland.

Thanks in advance :)

If you're in TK, then you're in the fortunate position of already being in the public insurance system, so no need to apply.

EDIT: This information is wrong - I overlooked your too-brief period of membership in the public system. See Engelchen's post below.

You will need to ensure that your health premiums are paid during any period of unemployment - either via the Arbeitsagentur, if you're eligible to receive ALG I, or paying them yourself if you are not eligible to receive ALG I.

Question: Once February 31st 2013 comes along, can I apply for the public health system? Or do I have to pay everything on my own through a private insurance? I'm confused..blah.

Since you will have only been a member of the public system for 8 months when your Pflichtversicherung ends, you are not eligible to become a freiwilliges Mitglied in the public system. I strongly recommend that you contact either Starshollow or John.G for a quote.