Health insurance for unemployed/returnees

263 posts in this topic

Although Beth Ann was kind enough to contact me, I was hoping that perhaps some of the resident experts might have a comment or suggestion?

Otherwise, once we get a response from the German Pensions people that they have no control over the krankenkasse's rules, we'll likely try and see if the Austrian public health fund will take my wife on the basis of the German refusals - I'll update the thread if and when we get a result.  

On 22/01/2020, 13:32:24, kaju said:

The Austrian public health system says since my wife has a German Pension, Germany should insure her, so Austria can't.

The Austrians are well intentioned, but wrong.

They think that your wife already has EU-wide public health insurance included in her small German DRV public pension and that she only has to apply for a form S1 from Germany and give it to the Austrian public health insurer in order to get "free" cover in Austria.

Which sadly isn't the case.

This would have only been the case if your wife had been a mandatory member of German public health insurance by being member of the KVdR (= Krankenversicherung der Rentner), which she would have only have been if she had spent at least 90% of the second half of her worklife in an EU public health insurance at the moment that she had first applied for her German public pension.

Which she didn't and which is why her German public pension from the Deutsche Rentenversicherung is now being been paid out without a deduction for German public health&nursing insurance. 

If she had fulfilled that "spent ≥90% of second half of worklife in an EU public health insurance" condition, this mandatory membership would have happened no matter in the world she was living at the time of applying for her German public pension.

As things are, your wife could only get German public health insurance if she moved to Germany, and even then only as a voluntary member.

And this voluntary membership does not mean that she would then have automatic free membership in Austria, like she would if she had been a mandatory member, i.e. in the KVdR.

So while living in Austria, she will have to get public health insurance from the Austrians and pay for it.

I do understand where the Austrians are coming from, they just can't imagine a country leaving its pensioners out in the cold, i.e. not automatically making them mandatory members of public health insurance.

Well, they will just have to read the German documentation to understand that life isn't as easy across the border.

Please print and show them these documents:

• §5 SGB V: put a red arrow to the left of "Nr. 11":
    (1) Versicherungspflichtig sind
    11. Personen, die die Voraussetzungen für den Anspruch auf eine Rente aus der gesetzlichen Rentenversicherung erfüllen und diese Rente beantragt haben, wenn sie seit der erstmaligen Aufnahme einer Erwerbstätigkeit bis zur Stellung des Rentenantrags mindestens neun Zehntel der zweiten Hälfte des Zeitraums Mitglied oder nach § 10 versichert waren,
  • https://www.finanztip.de/gkv/krankenversicherung-der-rentner/

If they still won't understand, have your wife apply to the Deutsche Rentenversicherung (DRV) for a Bescheinigung stating:

1. that she is not pflichtversichert in German public health insurance, and
  2. that no deduction for German public health insurance is made from her DRV pension.

Hi everyone! Hoping the resident experts here can help with my situation. I read through the entire thread here, but didn’t find a situation quite like mine. 

My husband is a German citizen and I am a dual US/Swiss citizen. He’s 37 and I’m 31.  I lived and worked in Munich from 2014-2019 and was insured with AOK. My husband was also insured through AOK. We moved to the US temporarily in March 2019 and will be returning to Germany in September 2020 (we de-registered when we left). During our time in the US, we are insured with Hanse Merkur (special insurance specifically for people who resided in Germany at the time the contract was signed, but plan to live in the US for a max of five years).

I have continued to work in the US from home for the same company I worked for when I lived in Germany, but with an in-house consultant contract (no longer have a German work contract, not paying German insurance, German taxes, etc.). There is a chance I will not continue working for the same employer when we return (even though I do have this option) as we may be moving to my husband’s hometown. If we move there, both my husband and I will be temporarily unemployed. Would this affect AOK accepting us back? Ideally we want to get insured with AOK as soon as we arrive. Since we have been insured with AOK for two of the last five years, we should be fine I think (my husband anyways since he’s German), but I wasn’t sure if there are weird rules related to me being an in house consultant now (although I am Swiss so maybe this is irrelevant?). I’ve read so much on this that I think I’m starting to confuse myself...

Does it matter that we had Hanse Merkur insurance here in the States? Or will AOK not care how we were insured while in the US? Hanse Merkur covers us for up to 6 weeks a year in Germany so we plan to keep them until we have been accepted back to AOK (unless of course this would work against us getting accepted). 

Hopefully I have just waaaay overthought this situation and we are good to go. Thanks in advance for your help! :)