Health insurance for unemployed/returnees

251 posts in this topic

On 5/17/2017, 11:57:12, Cherf Monty said:

So, she should be good to rejoin upon her return to Germany, and as long as I arrive with no reportable income, I should be good to join as her dependent. Things are looking up!

For how long should you have no reportable income? 2 months before arriving? 6 months?

what counts is to have no source of income when arriving and then for 28+ days. On the 29th day you are entitled to you join the spouse's public health insurance as a dependent family member. Then you'll theoretically only need to stay 1 day as dependent family member before you'll be allowed to continue public insurance in your own right as voluntary member in the wake of the "Obligatorische Anschlussversicherung", but I would recommend adding maybe another month if feasible/practical for you before you'll change your status formally, if only as a safety buffer.

Cheerio

I am a professional independent insurance broker, financial adviser, and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

On 21.2.2019, 11:27:35, Starshollow said:

what counts is to have no source of income when arriving and then for 28+ days. On the 29th day you are entitled to you join the spouse's public health insurance as a dependent family member. Then you'll theoretically only need to stay 1 day as dependent family member before you'll be allowed to continue public insurance in your own right as voluntary member in the wake of the "Obligatorische Anschlussversicherung", but I would recommend adding maybe another month if feasible/practical for you before you'll change your status formally, if only as a safety buffer.

Cheerio

I am a professional independent insurance broker, financial adviser, and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

Hi there! :) I have not been on this site for a while, but I am curious...what happens for example if an American citizen with no income comes to Germany, marries a German citizen a month later. Is that American citizen also entitled to be put on the German citizens health insurance?

12 hours ago, germanyherewecome said:

Hi there! :) I have not been on this site for a while, but I am curious...what happens for example if an American citizen with no income comes to Germany, marries a German citizen a month later. Is that American citizen also entitled to be put on the German citizens health insurance?

for once a short answer is possible: YES :-)

(provided the German spouse is in public health insurance, of course )

Cheerio

Hello!

I have read through many posts on this forum on insurance for unemployed, and wanted to check whether I have found the best solution for my situation.

I moved to Germany in July 2018, and was working for a Dutch employer based in the Netherlands –  I did most of my work remotely, from my home office in Germany. Because I wasn’t traveling at least once a week between the Netherlands and Germany, I was an Unechte Grenzgänger (false cross-border worker). My contract ended at the end of 2018; from July to December 2018 I had a Dutch health insurance.

I am currently unemployed and, from the information in the brochure Merkblatt 20 „Arbeitslosengeld und Auslandsbeschäftigung, and from information from the Dutch authorities, I understood I have to apply for unemployment benefits in my country of residence, so Germany. I applied, but the first answer was negative, as I was deemed ineligible. The reason was that I hadn’t worked for at least one day for a German employer in a job paying social security contributions. I objected, as my understanding is that this requirement does not apply to cross-border workers, nor to false cross-border workers (see above-mentioned brochure, section 3.2.3). I am currently waiting for an answer to my objection.

This whole process is taking very long, and since my application has been initially declined, I realized I don’t have health insurance. I’m an EU citizen and had no problem obtaining an E104 form from my previous health insurer in the Netherlands. I read that getting a public health insurance is easy in the first 3 months, so I hurried to TK this week, as March is already the third month since my Dutch insurance ended. They accepted me as a voluntary contributor living off savings, and I’m waiting for the extra papers I need to sign to arrive per post.

It might be too late to ask this now, but is this the best solution in my case? After going to TK I heard about Mawista, but it seems quite fishy. I also saw this post from 2017 by @YogaMonkey, where he cites an older post from @Starshollow, referring to legit international insurers offering services in Germany: https://www.toytowngermany.com/forum/topic/374934-how-to-avoid-a-back-charge-for-health-insurance-in-germany-foreign-private-aok-tk-central-tips/?page=2#comment-3625987.

This post made me wonder whether there would have been (still is?) a cheaper, but still legit option for me (TK will charge approximately €180 per month). The link mentioning which international health insurers are licensed in Germany from the post above doesn’t work anymore (http://ww2.bafin.de/database/InstInfo/). FYI, I am applying for academic jobs both in Germany and abroad; I moved to Germany because my partner lives here (we’re not married), and I speak very little German.

Thanks in advance.

23 minutes ago, Spaetzlein said:

After going to TK I heard about Mawista, but it seems quite fishy.

It is. And since you have EU citizenship, you're anyway not eligible for it.

13 minutes ago, Spaetzlein said:

I’m an EU citizen and had no problem obtaining an E104 form from my previous health insurer in the Netherlands. I read that getting a public health insurance is easy in the first 3 months, so I hurried to TK this week, as March is already the third month since my Dutch insurance ended. They accepted me as a voluntary contributor living off savings, and I’m waiting for the extra papers I need to sign to arrive per post.

It might be too late to ask this now, but is this the best solution in my case?

Yes, that is the best solution, short of marrying your partner and joining his/her public health insurance for free under family insurance:  https://www.tk.de/en/service-faqs/non-contributory-dependants-insurance/which-dependants-covered-non-contributory-dependants-insurance-2038050

14 minutes ago, Spaetzlein said:

he cites an older post from @Starshollow, referring to legit international insurers offering services in Germany

That was about ALC from the UK, but no idea whether that's still an option after Brexit, since they were exploiting a loophole for EU companies.

And they would anyway be no good to you since you want to be an employee again:  https://www.alchealth.com/germany_en.htm

You can see their pricing here:  https://www.alchealth.com/quote.htm

Hello guys,

I'm a non-EU master student in Germany. 26 year-old.

At the moment, I have a public health insurance for students (around 90e/month) but I will be graduating soon and applying for job-seeking residence permit. To apply for this 18-month residence permit, I need to update my health insurance. So, I'll be no longer a student and I'll be unemployed.

The fees are going to jump ridiculously, right?

I heard the private insurance is cheaper in this case, but many people advise against this, as I wouldn't be able to go back to public insurance after finding a job. Is this correct?

Does anyone have any advice on what to do?

1 hour ago, AnitaRoxas said:

Hello guys,

I'm a non-EU master student in Germany. 26 year-old.

At the moment, I have a public health insurance for students (around 90e/month) but I will be graduating soon and applying for job-seeking residence permit. To apply for this 18-month residence permit, I need to update my health insurance. So, I'll be no longer a student and I'll be unemployed.

The fees are going to jump ridiculously, right?

I heard the private insurance is cheaper in this case, but many people advise against this, as I wouldn't be able to go back to public insurance after finding a job. Is this correct?

Does anyone have any advice on what to do?

don't even think about private health insurance...

First of all: private health insurances in Germany are not interested in someone with an uncertain income situation. Hence they will not accept an application if they are "real" private health insurances under German laws.  All else is not a real health insurance and will lead to all kind of troubles (including back-charges later if you need to switch back to German public or private health insurances). Not recommendable!

Secondly: public health insurance will about double - but that's about it. So something around 170-180 EUR tops per month is all that you need to pay. It may look steep when coming from just 90 EUR p.m. but it is still an excellent bargain under all other considerations.  Even with just a side-job with minimum wage you'll just need to work like 7-8 hours per month for the time being to finance the increase in health insurance costs..and once you'll find a real employment, it will be calculated differently anyway. 

Little tip: if your VISA allows, look for a >451 EUR on the side right away, because then your health insurance costs are even lower because the employer pitches in, too.

Cheerio

55 minutes ago, Starshollow said:

Secondly: public health insurance will about double - but that's about it. So something around 170-180 EUR tops per month is all that you need to pay.

Cheerio

Thanks a lot for your answer, Cheerio! Really appreciated. I just contacted my insurance (Novitas BKK), and they told me the fee is 193.5 euro. Is this the price always the same in all other public insurances? 

The Krankenkassen only differ in regard of the Zusatzbeitrag: https://www.krankenkassen.de/gesetzliche-krankenkassen/krankenkasse-beitrag/zusatzbeitrag/

Your health&nursing insurance contribution is:

• (14% + Zusatzbeitrag + 3.05% +  0.25% if you don't have a child and are age 23 or older) * 30 * Bezugsgröße/90 

For example, if you change to HKK (and are older than 23 with no child), you would pay every month:

• (14% + 0.39% + 3.05% + 0.25%) * 1,038.33€ = 17.69% * 1,038.33€ = 183.68€

Hello everyone! Could someone experienced please help me understand the following situation regarding my health insurance? 

I'm a non-EU citizen currently living in Germany and I have an 18-month residence permit that allows me to look for jobs (obtained after studying in Germany). I'm planning to leave Germany for 4-5 months and then come back (I am allowed to leave Germany for a period of max 6 months without losing my permit). Before leaving Germany, I will do Abmeldung, and I would like to cancel my public health insurance since I won't be in Germany for several months. Once I re-enter Germany I will do Anmeldung again and start my public health insurance again.   

Now my question is: if, for example, I get a job offer while I am out of Germany and I have to come to Germany for an interview for 2-3 days, how should I be insured? I am wondering if border police could create a problem for me since I'll have a permit, but no more German health insurance. Is it a problem to enter the country with normal travel insurance? I'm assuming it wouldn't be a problem since I don't even have a right to public health insurance if I have no Anmeldung, right? According to the lady from Ausländerbehörde, I am absolutely allowed to do Abmeldung if I am out of the country, but when it comes to my health insurance questions, she said "yeah, you should be able to cancel your insurance too but better check with them all the conditions." 

Any advice is welcome! Naturally, I'll contact my insurance, but I'd love to hear your answers before that! Thank you!