English-speaking midwives (Hebamme)

92 posts in this topic

Hi All,

Just to share some feedback as I found Lynne Jablonski through this thread when looking for English speaking birth classes.

She held an extra one day session yesterday due to the overflow who signed up or the August 6 class (birth class plus baby care).

Anyhow, I really enjoyed the class - as I am finding with most of the professionals I have been interacting with over the last months (doctor, midwife, hospital staff, etc) there are quite a few approaches and philosophies to childbirth, breast feeding, etc and coming from the US the thoughts here seem much more in direction of natural and minimal intervention compared to what is taken for granted in the US. There were couples yesterday from India, Japan, and a husband from Germany- wife from China couple so was also interesting to compare notes on expectations based on cultural background. I'm finding that part of being a pregnant expat is trying to reconcile the expectations you bring with you and the customs of the country you are in and you may have to be pushy on certain points - as a first time mother this can be a double challenge when you feel kind of clueless anyway.

Ok tangents aside, for those interested in signing up for future courses, here is the schedule at the moment (don't know if she will again add additional classes if demand is high, and the next couple of weeks she is taking some holiday as our extra class was already part of her holiday period):

September 17th

October 15th

November 12th

December 10th

Classes start at 12:30 on Saturdays and the length depends on how many couples are in the class.

There is also a session available on the same morning starting at 10 included in the cost that covers baby care from newborn to approximately 6 months of age.

They are held very close to Goetheplatz.

Contact Lynne at raumzumatmen@aol.com

All the best!

An excellent, caring, warm, knowledgeable midwife: JUTTA ANZENHOFER!! She studied and worked in Ireland. Can't say enough good things about her. She's a freelancer. 0176 32 35 37 04. She does home births, prenatal care, and postnatal home visits.

For anyone who is interested in English Birth Preparation Course

Upcoming Dates 26.11-27.11.2011 in PowerHAUS am Schlosspark in Krailing (Course in English)

Birth Preparation Course with Midwife Lydia Lutz und Pre-Natal Yoga with Yoga Bee. A wonderful opportunity to meet other and talk with pregnant women, prepare for your upcoming birth and relax. The Course includes lunch and a tea break. This weekend course will be taught exclusively in English.

Saturday and Sunday from 10 am until 4 pm

180 Euro (Reimbursement from your health insurance provider is possible, please contact your health insurance directly)

PowerHAUS am Schlosspark, Krailing (bei Planegg), directly on the Würm

For more information or to sign up: rebecca@yogabee.de

Yoga Bee--Rebecca van Sciver

http://www.yogabee.de

I would also like to ask for comments on "Hebammempraxis Mein Baby", the Habamme is Zahra Shabani. In the Praxis they also offer various of course. Here is the offical website : http://www.hebammenpraxis-meinbaby.de/leistungen.html

It's been a while since you posted but I thought I would reply to this. I did one of their four-session ante-natal courses which seemed ok but not amazing. They explained about what your body is doing while you give birth, did some breathing exercises, answered questions (anything and everything that people chose to ask). What they didn't do much of was talk about pain relief apart from telling us that epidurals aren't great and that you should have homeopathy instead and they didn't talk about what circumstances might lead to a caesarian being necessary and what happens if that is the case, which I think is a shame as I know quite a few women end up having an unplanned caesarian and find it extremely frightening, mainly because they have no idea what is happening. But that is just my opinion.

My husband and I did the one-day partner course which again was fine but could have been summarised into an hour. I also did their acuncture (thought I would keep an open mind about alternative therapies) which was nice and relaxing, but I have no idea if it helped with the birth in any way and I wouldn't bother with it again and yoga which was quite good.

The birth courses are very much oriented to people who want a "natural" birth (whatever that is supposed to be) and they didn't look amused when I said I was planning to take all of the drugs on offer, but I did find all of the staff friendly. I'm pretty sure that they offer one-to-one courses in English, but I took the German ones because I wanted to meet other mothers-to-be in my area.

If anyone is looking for an En speaking hebamme in Laim area, I strongly recommend Verena Orion. Google her and you'll get her contacts. She helped me with my son last year, she is a very sweet lady, knows her stuff very well, there was not a question I had that she did not have a good answer for (and as a new mum, I had a gazillion silly questions), spotted first signs of what could have been trouble and told us what to do, and her English is very good. She might be able to drive further away from Laim, but you'd have to ask her. We all liked her very much, included my oldest grumpy cat, who would go sit on her lap every time she came. :-) She did not protest and we liked her even more for that.

Anyone have tips for a good Hebamme in Bogenhausen? English-speaking isn't 100% necessary but would be nice, us Americans speak English when stressed no matter how good our German. ;) Anyway, it seems that having a baby in June is frowned on because people go on vacation. Oh and also 20 weeks along is too late to register. So...any midwives out there that could take me on? Or any tips? I have already gotten a list from the hospital and done a few internet searches...Thanks in advance, Toytowners! :)

Does anyone have any recommendations for a post-natal English speaking midwife in the north of the city (Feldmoching area or Close to it)?

Our current one is going on holiday at the end of July, when we're due, as I fear many others will too. Any recommendations/help is definitely welcome.

I'm a new mom and have just a few days a baby .. I'm looking for a midwife who can visits me regularly

in order teaching and helping me to take care of my baby ..

I live in central munich!!

If anyone needs a hebamme in Sendling /Isarvorstadt I really recommend the fantastic midwife we had. She was very proffessional and sweet and I couldn´t be happier with her. I don´t want to put her name on the internet without her knowing it so please PM me instead.

I'm wondering if anyone can recommend an English-speaking midwife in the Berg am Laim / Bogenhausen areas (we're kinda in between). I've taken a look at the search websites mentioned previously in this thread, but am curious if anyone has any personal experiences. We are planning to go to the Klinikum Rechts der Isar (at least for now, since I still have a fair bit of time to decide - due date is in December), so being available for a home birth would not be necessary.

Thanks!

Hi All, I'm in search of a Hebamme recommendation for the Maxvorstadt area. I used the site http://www.hebammensuche.de/ to search for Hebammes within my zip code, but I would also like personal recommendations if possible. Also, what should I expect from a hebamme? What do they do?

Hello!

I can't recommend a Hebamme in your area, but I can at least tell you some of what to expect. Basically, your interaction with a midwife here depends on where you decide to have your birth. If you decide to have your birth at a hospital (my choice), the midwife you choose will be involved with mostly postnatal care. You might see your midwife before the birth if you have any questions, concerns, or take a childbirth class from her. When you give birth, the hospital has its own midwives on staff, so you will just get whomever is working at that time. Once you come home from the hospital, your midwife will come daily (at first) to your home and help you with any needs you may have with taking care of your baby. The visits spread out more until you don't need them anymore, up to six months I think.

If you decide to have a home birth, you need to find a midwife that is insured to do one. I assume the midwife would be much more involved in your prenatal care, in addition to the postnatal period. The other option is to go to a birthing center and I think the midwife involvement there would also be higher.

I hope that helps! If you have any more questions, feel free to send me a PM!

Hi,

I've sent you a message. I'm a midwife working in Ramersdorf/Giesing/Haidhausen area. English speaking, got recommendations :)

www.jennykugelberg.weebly.com

Best, Jenny

Hi

I'm looking for an English speaking midwife in the Sauerlach/Holzkirchen/Taufkirchen area. Any recommendations very welcome :)

Many thanks!

Lulu & Tintin - Munichs Prenatal and Postnatal Eductaion Centre in the heart of Munich! We offer a wide varity of classes all in English, e.g. Prepared Childbirth classes, Prenatal Yoga, Prenatal Workshops, Postnatal Pilates, New Moms Groups etc

We're here to support you through your pregnancy, birth and your children's early years (0-7).

Check out our Website: www.lulu-tintin.com

We'd love to see you!