Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Münchner Eiszauber - Ice skating at Karlsplatz

23 posts in this topic

The Münchener Eiszauber (Munich Ice Magic) is Munich's largest open air ice rink. It is usually open from late November until late January every winter. In previous years the ice rink always used to be located on Marienhof behind Marienplatz. In recent years they are continuing to dig the new U-Bahn station there so the rink is at Karlplatz Stachus instead. Cooling technology allows the ice rink to stay open so long as air temperatures remain below 10 degrees Celsius.

post-16-1132824153.jpg

Münchner Eiszauber

Karlsplatz / Stachus

Late November to early January (exact dates on the website)

Website: Münchner Eiszauber - plus live webcam over Karlsplatz

The ice rink and surrounding food stalls are open 10.30am till 10pm. On Christmas eve and New Years eve (Dec. 24th and 31st) they are only open until 4pm.

Skating costs €3 in the mornings, rising to €5 in the evenings. Kids skate for one Euro less.

Skate hire is €4 plus a €30 deposit or an ID card.

post-16-1132824170.jpg post-16-1132824175.jpg post-16-1132824182.jpg

See also: TT Karlsplatz skating meetups from 2004/5 - and another

And some choice TT quotes from last year:

The atmosphere at this Eiszauber is fantastic. I love it. It's just so Christmassy. They serve mulled wine and play funky music over the sound system. A great way to spend an evening, whether you think you're Torvil and Dean or not.

I went there once before I went on Christmas vacation and it was a blast!

I was there earlier today, saw the polar bears for people who can't skate to hold on to - any idea how much to rent one of those bears, or is it for free? I want to skate often and much!!! :)

The Münchner Eiszauber is open again this year. The first post in this topic is now updated with the current opening dates.

The ice rink can cope with daytime temperatures of 10'C. I don't know whether they'll remain open if tomorrow's forecasted high of 15'C comes true.

New this year is the raised viewing platform, as pictured below.

See also the related topic: Ice skating meetups - winter 2006/7

post-16-1165241194.jpg

For anybody that is interested the Christmas Market at the airport (at the covered space outside the EDEKA) also has a ice rink.

Ohhh are they not putting it back in Marienhof where it used to be before the U-Bahn platform extention?

They are almost finished putting it up at Karlsplatz. The ice isn't in yet, but everything else is up from what I can see.

I also thought this year it would be back behind the Rathaus...Hmmm.

Anywhere it is in town, I am happy, time to sharpen those skates. Have to get the little boy doing it this year though...is 3 and a half too young?

For Info, heard on the radio that the ice-rink is open as of tonight until mid-Jan. 2008! Apparently Thurs. afternoons they will have some kind of professional trainer/skater there giving skating tips! So for all the would be skaters out there - now's your chance :P

Have to get the little boy doing it this year though...is 3 and a half too young?

guess that depends on which country you are from. ;)

Renia, I can go skating with you, and help you with him, there are a few basics to learn, then he will be fine.

Does anybody know whether the ice rink at Stachus is already open? I saw them working on it last week, but checking online just now Muenchen.de e.g. still says that the exact dates aren't available yet for this season ... ? Any info is much appreciated!

I heard it on the radio today, Radio Gong is really pushing this event:

Opening 21 November 2008 - Closing 31 January 2009

Opening times 10:30am - 10:00pm

Does anyone know where to find used skates for cheap?

aldi has skates on sale as of today for 25.99 in all sizes- they are a moulded boot, so they give good support to beginners ankles.