Harassment from neighbour about noise we dont make

81 posts in this topic

We've been living in our apartment for about a year now, and right from the beginning we had issues with our neighbour directly below us.

The first weekend we were living here, she rang our bell on a Sunday afternoon after we had made a few quick, short noises. I can understand that it was a Sunday - but it was noisy for a total of perhaps two minutes, and she was unnecessarily rude. Of course, trying not to get off on a bad foot, we set what we were doing aside and waited until Monday afternoon to deal with it.

Knowing that you have new neighbours though, you can surely accept a slight bit of extra noise while they settle in (simply from having to move something to reach another thing during the initial unpacking days - be it a Sunday or any other day). Of course, as long as it's nothing excessively disruptive.

** Over the last few months she has gotten a bit extreme.

She frequently rings our bell and leaves passive-aggressive notes in our mailbox, accusing us of having constantly loud music and stomping and jumping around all the time.

In one letter, she wrote,

"Das war ja mal wieder ein super lautes wochenende. Gepolter und getrampel... mal kann man das ja verstehen, aber bei Ihnen nimmt das ja überhand. Könnten Sie nicht auch mal rücksicht auf die Nachbarn nehmen und zB ruhe leise sein?

Manchmal wollten wir auch mal unsere ruhe haben. Vielleicht nochmal die Hausordnung durchlesen."

This was after a weekend where, for the majority of the time, we were not even home - and the time we did spend at home was to unwind and relax (movies, naps, etc).

Her sarcastic and condescending way of writing is just unpleasant to deal with.

I have personally gone to speak to her on two occasions, but she seems to live in an imaginary world and simply won't accept the fact that we are not noisy. When I tell her what we were doing at the times she complains - confirming that the noise can't be from us - she accuses me of lying to her.

It's getting to the point where it's becoming harassment. I'm afraid to vacuum, or walk down my hallway, because I don't want to have to hear my bell and then speak to this miserable woman.

The thing that really gets to me, is that she complains at the most random times... times where we are asleep and can't possibly be making loud noises. Or for example, one evening we played some music - from a laptop, which simply can't be loud enough to be disturbing to someone a floor below - and she rang our bell at around 7pm saying we needed to be quiet because she had had a stressful day.

We ARE allowed to make some noise in our apartment from time to time, so long as it's not excessive and not within 'quiet hours'.

I'm not sure where to go from here. Is it worth it to speak to the Hausmeister? Is there anything else I can do on my own?

Dealing with her seems to be impossible.

I don't want to feel like I can't do anything in my own home.

You can try the hausmeister and you can try talking to the other neighbours. Maybe this lady is a known cuckoo bird. If this keeps up, I would talk to a lawyer about what you can do. For example, if she is ringing your door bell at all times and leaving you notes when you really have not been loud, isn't that harassment on her part?

beccakelly: have you got legal insurance? German word " Rechtsschutzversicherung ". If you have, go and see a lawyer.

...she seems to live in an imaginary world...

I think this says it all. This is her way of trying to flirt with you.

Did you read about Mr. Nutbar in another thread here on TT? Ignore her as best you can.

join the Mieterverein, this problem will likely get worse.

also, keep a diary of events, keep all the notes she writes, including her references to your noise when you are actually not even home.

perhaps if she gets a few legal letters she will stop the harassment and you can live a normal life again.

would be interesting to know if that is why the former tenant moved out. whenever i've looked at a flat that wasn't empty, i ask them why they are moving out. most have reasonable answers, but i suppose if they were looking for a Nachmieter, they probably wouldn't have told you the truth anyhow.

"Das war ja mal wieder ein super lautes wochenende. Gepolter und getrampel... mal kann man das ja verstehen, aber bei Ihnen nimmt das ja überhand. Könnten Sie nicht auch mal rücksicht auf die Nachbarn nehmen und zB ruhe leise sein?

Manchmal wollten wir auch mal unsere ruhe haben. Vielleicht nochmal die Hausordnung durchlesen."

I'm guessing this woman has a lot of cats.

I've been in a similar position. I told the landlord I was going if nothing was done about it, and I just left when nothing happened. I would recommend that, because these crazies won't go away, and there's not a lot you can do about it.

YMMV, it was just me living there with 2 suitcases, so it wasn't a big deal.

Better still, Post her notes on the public area/ notice board in the entrance!

Nope - confidentiality of the written word.

This reminds me to the neighbour who moved in below us and told us on the second day we needed to lay carpets because she could hear us walking. Then she invited a worker on a Sunday to do non stop drilling, despite knowing we had a less than one week old baby. Of course she didn't tell us in advance and she didn't even apologize. The worker did when he saw us leave with the baby, but he was only doing his job. This woman went on to harass us and I would have gone crazy if we didn't move a few weeks later (happy coincidence). My suspicion with such people is they won't leave you alone until you get really rude and talk to them the way they talk to you. It's sad but true.

There are two words to describe people like that - human effluent.

There are is some more information and brilliant solutions for your problem in this existing TT thread. I love the idea of playing recorded coughs, sneezes and snores through the night until your neighbor just moves out -- it's true, no one can take you to court for sneezing!

dunno, am of the opinion such irrational folk can only be tackled via the legal route.

my experience has shown such folk can be frightened into normality with a mere lawyer's letter.

the 55€ annual Mieterverein fee I spent as a tenant was always well earned back.

invite her in for coffee and cake, maybe she just needs a friend.

I'd like to hear a success story about this method but I'm a little skeptical too, especially with the kind of animosity mentioned by the OP (and BeccaKelly looks like such a nice person- AND she's a Canook -- who complains about them already?).

I've had great experiences getting to know people in my already friendly building/neighborhood with the annual flea markets, Hoffest (house BBQ) and New Year's Eve fireworks in the street. The whole building -just 13 units (owners/renters) has a 'du' policy -- initiated by the ultra- cool 60+ year old woman upstairs! We have one man in the building that remains 'bristly' and rather cold to everyone. He seems to feel put upon by human interaction (greetings, small talk). So even in a positive/neutral neighbor scenario it always takes two to tango.

I found this link nonetheless:

ways to make friends with the neighbors

We had the same problem with our downstairs neighbor when we moved in. First is was our drilling - you have to put up towel rods and such. Then she was accusing us of other people's noise. One Sunday, we had friends over. We adults were quietly having coffee and cake in the living room. The kids had gone outside to play. Our doorbell rang and I saw the police standing there. I went to my knees just positive one of the kids had gotten run over or something. They asked us to stop drilling, which we weren't.

My son was 10 then and afraid to get in the lift alone because of the crazy lady downstairs. Finally, she insulted me, we called the police and the rest is history. There was mediation and we never heard from her again. My German said she got very small when he told about the police scaring me to death that day.

I recommend calling the police with your evidence soonest. We put up with it for too long.