Tax deduction for buying a laptop for work

14 posts in this topic

Some of my collegues have mentioned that you can get a deduction on your taxes when you buy a laptop for your work.

I really need one but I would like to get it with spanish keyboard (need ñ ;) ). So I was wondering if one can get also the deduction if you buy it in another country or e.g. in amazon.com instead amazon.de.

Dou you have any idea about this?

as long as you use it solely for work and nothing personal, as far as I know you should be able to deduct it regardless of the kind of keyboard. my german colleagues always say, when in doubt, try and deduct it.

:) We should be able to change the keyboard to a Spanish one, or even buy the laptop in for you. If it helps, we (via one of our business partners) also rent / lease laptops.

Genesis

I'm pretty sure you can deduct it (or at least part of the value). AFAIR you need to include the receipt, so try to get an official looking one. I think you also need a letter from your employer saying that the purchase was necessary for work purposes. Then include the lot with your tax return (Steuerabklaerung) at the end of the year.

If your employer requires you to have a LapTop but doesn#t supply one (get a letter from them) and you will use it exclusively for work use, then it's deductible. However, if it costs more than €400 (which most of course do!) you can't deduct it 100% in one year,but need to amortize it over 4 years (deduct 1/4 the value each year).

What is the situation if the person is a freelancer as it is in my case? I need the laptop for my research work. Can I deduct the whole VAT amount from my VAT declaration at the end of the month?

'Buzz

Windows XP allows you to configure any number of keyboard layouts, so you don't really need to buy a spanish keyboard.

What I do is add the german layout to my system. When I hit Alt+LeftShift, it switches between EN and DE layout. Or you can click a little button in the task bar to switch.

I write the german characters on each key with a permanent CD-marker, oddly with a color that matches the keyboard. Because the ink reflects the light differently than the keys, you can still see it, but it doesn't look like crap. If you sell the laptop, you can probably remove this ink with rubbing alcohol.

Can I deduct the whole VAT amount from my VAT declaration at the end of the month?

If you are registered for VAT you can reclaim the full amount of VAT paid when you submit your Voranmeldung, then deduct the capital net value of the article at the end of the year proportional to its age. (25% per year)

However, if it costs more than €400 (which most of course do!) you can't deduct it 100% in one year,but need to amortize it over 4 years (deduct 1/4 the value each year).

What if one's contract expires in the middle of next year ( which is my case), can one still keep on amortizing the rest of the cost without even actively paying any tax for the subsequent years.

Ive heard that if u buy a PC, for personal use and work in the IT industry and , then u can claim the tax back?

can anyone confirm this?

Is there a list somewhere of all the things a person could claim there tax back for?

eg

travelling to work

moving to germany

buying PC

Yes, have been doing just this for 11 years.. Tech Books,training,tests,trade show tix,etc. also fall into this catagory.. Trick is to save all your reciepts.

Yup, regardless of status, self-employed / contractor or employee, and as DKL says, keep all receipts. Get a good Steuerberater (call if you need one), and let him sort out what is legally claimable. You'd be pleasantly suprised at what you can claim in Germany!!!

Ive heard that if u buy a PC, for personal use and work in the IT industry and , then u can claim the tax back?

Only if the PC is required for your work and will be predominatny used for professional purposes. If you are self-employed this is fairly easy to do, if you are employed, less so. The slightest mention of "personal" (private) use will prohibit this allowance...